Hi All! Signing on from Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All! Signing on from Jersey

It’s been pretty awesome learning so much on this forum, thank you!

A bit about where I’m at: I don’t currently own a GS, but that’s just a technicality I’m hoping to fix this weekend

After a ton of reading and youtubing, and visiting shops, the GS is totally where it’s at. Zeroed in on ‘80 and up, L or T, 550 max. That’s what is making sense.

I don’t know much about mechanics and have a basic understanding of tools, but also not really scared of doing whatever I can myself to get it healthy. Also very lucky that a great local mechanic/neighborhood friend is a few blocks away from me, so worst case scenario I can walk it over, loll.. I’ll be visiting him a lot I’m sure.

Goal is to get a ride for the rest of the season without having to overhaul it, and then get more detailed over the winter. No real rush since I want to do things well and I’m taking the MSF course first week of August. But still I’m itching to get going sooner than later. I’m excited and dancing between reason and really just wanting to goooo!

I found what could be a good deal, so I’m very close to getting the trailer and driving an hour and a half to Conn. this weekend, without a commitment to buy.

Here’s the breakdown on the bike and work needed (that I know so far):

1982 GS 450T
    - looks to be pretty clean
    - Engine turns and “runs great”
    - Needs a new battery, he pops it to get going. (the listing said it had a new battery)
    - Has an electrical issue. He thinks its the bulbs so he started replacing them but didn’t finish. Headlight works, brake light doesn’t, “some blinkers work”
    - Carb leaks a little gas after a ride.
    - Good tires.
    - 9420 miles
    - Check out pics below

In his ad he was asking $1100. When we messaged, he took it down to $900 right away cause of the battery, and said he priced high to filter tire kickers. He’s selling because he has a young family, new house and no time to dedicate to the bike, etc... But he’s not in a rush to sell either.

He seemed pretty straightforward when we were texting. I told him I would think on it and that we would talk today for follow up.

Anyhow, I figure a random day in Connecticut could be fun, with or without a bike on the trailer on the way home. (Definitely funner with!) But at least I won’t wonder about it.

I have a feeling I could get him lower, closer to $700. Pretty sure that the electrical issue isn’t about bulbs. Call me crazy, loll

Any feedback, guidance etc. is super welcome and appreciated.

Again, many thanks and look forward to learning more with you all!

Kat

Can’t figure out how to attach pics so here’s a link: https://imgur.com/gallery/KhUbjc6

thats a good looking little scoot... one thing I would confirm is that it has a good title. CT does not require a title for a bike of that age but New Jersey might. Before any road trips, be sure the paperwork is congruent with your needs.

If the paper doesn't align, there are other bikes out there within your travel zone for example...

So I recomend a little more digging, just to compare if nothing else... welcome aboard

Comment

Welcome from NJ.
      Advice? Don't ride in Newark.
      Looks like a pretty original bike in decent shape. Personally I like the E that Scratch posted far better, but the E bikes generally sell for a bit more then a T or L. Regardless of mileage, plan on a full going over and catching up on maintenance.
      Good luck and enjoy.

Add.... I see that its missing its fender and the headlight is aimed at the ground. Be sure to look for any signs of crash damage (scrapes, dings, etc.) The mufflers will be a dead giveaway.
      As far as electrics- these old Suzukis are infamous for failures. Random signal and lighting issues could be as simple as bad / corroded connections or charging issues, which is a bigger issue. Simply replacing a battery can mask the issue if its not charging - until the battery dies.
      Last edited by dorkburger; 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That's a baby "T" and I like it!

I'm down in Dover, Delaware...been here since 2006. I'm from L.A. and I don't mean Lower Alabama...lol.

Glad you are being adventurous with this bike.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Kat.
          Glad to hear you are looking into taking a MSF course.
          So many of us learned how to ride through a buddy or by trail and error. Proper training would have saved a lot of lives and accidents.
          imho get a T over an L.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That T looks decent... The issues it has don't sound like any deal breakers, but could bring your price down a bit.
            Welcome, and I 2nd what dorkburger said... riding in Newark would be rough to learn. Head a bit west to where it's not so crwded.
            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Welcome to the board! Rehabbed a 82 450t this last winter and have enjoyed the heck out of it, easy to work on and it gets me from point A to point B without too much fuss. $900 would be a reasonable price for that bike but the tires could be a negotiating point going in to buy. Other than that, it looks worthy.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

In general bike looks ok, I don't know if it's the way I am looking at it but the rear mudguard indicators look twisted out of alignment ( maybe others will chip in) in any case make sure you check out the back end ( as well as the rest of course)
                good luck.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

Thanks! I (weirdly) didn’t have Hudson Valley in my search áreas on the CL app. Work got crazy so I didn’t go see the original bike. But we’ve been messaging and it’s still available. Definitely still looking in meantime. And yes, agreed on title, so many too good to be true finds and then wompwomp when there is no title loll

Comment

Thanks, will def check that out. Haven’t made it up but found one a lot closer. Much appreciated

Comment

Thank you! Work isn’t letting me go just yet for that kind of a trip. But this is helpful as a guide. There’s one closer so we’ll see. Can’t wait to work on it good to know you’re here!

Comment

Loll... I’m pretty lucky that I know Newark roads very well. My area is very residential, but will def hit neighboring less populated areas. Other plus is that my brother was a Newark moto cop and instructor, so I’ll follow his recs for sure. Thanks for the heads up on the headlight etc. It’s like every time I see any bike of this model/make, after learning some more, it’s a totally different bike!

Comment

Thanks, Steve. Yes, the T is calling my name for sure. And thanks for the props on MSF. Safety, and confidence through it, are very important to me. Luckily my brother was an instructor, so between him and the course I’m hoping to feel as right as I can to go. Although I’m very well into my 30s, we still haven’t told our parents cause that’s not gonna matter to them tho, lolll... but it has been a nice bonding experience for us. Like that time I covered for him when he snuck out the house! 🤣

Comment

Thank you! I drive around Newark quite a bit for work. So once my confidence is better I’m hoping to make it my primary ride whenever I can. I would def like work more, and would hope to cut time moving around, but the potholes ohhh the potholes...

Comment

Don’t think I properly replied with the quotes to your comments! Sorry about that, (newbie fail!) lolll...

Comment

Working...
                              X