Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Boston and my project

20180503_091227.jpg
    new member here. This belonged to a life long friend and has been sitting under a tarp for 30+ years. We decided it needed to be revived. I have been in the industry for 35 years and it feels good to put together a long lost "family" member

If you're refurbishing or restoring, it looks like very cool project. Enjoy!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Welcome to GSR. Tell us more of your adventure.

30 years under a tarp...!
      Looks like it survived fairly well, but I suspect you will find many things to attend to.
      Is a well saught out model, in stock config (except bars & exhaust), well worth the effort.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

.... oil cooler
        ..... front rotors

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

20180505_111842.jpgtank before cleaning

Comment

20180525_094752.jpgtank after cleaning with hot water, power wash,an overnight visit with a mixture of hot water and Metal Restore and another final power wash. used Caswells tank liner. good to go.

Comment

My roommate from long ago bought this new . he rode it until the hot new (Ninja 900) came along (1984?) and he had to have one. He sold this to another of our friends who has had it since. Life got in the way, weddings , families careers etc and we hadnt seen each other for 25 years.We reconnected as though time never happened. He has MS and is unable to ride and I thought he would like to see it running and being used again so I am doing this. I have been in the motorcycle business for my career and enjoy side projects like this.
              I have it running, next project is rebuild of the Fox shox. they all have an issue with the original bottoming bumpers dry rotting and disintegrating. I have all the needed parts to rebuild so that is next and doing a 530 chain conversion at the same time. I will post more of it as it continues its slow process.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Curious as to what/where you acquired parts for the Fox shock rebuild.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by flugie View Post
                  My roommate from long ago bought this new . he rode it until the hot new (Ninja 900) came along (1984?) and he had to have one. He sold this to another of our friends who has had it since. Life got in the way, weddings , families careers etc and we hadnt seen each other for 25 years.We reconnected as though time never happened. He has MS and is unable to ride and I thought he would like to see it running and being used again so I am doing this. I have been in the motorcycle business for my career and enjoy side projects like this.
                  I have it running, next project is rebuild of the Fox shox. they all have an issue with the original bottoming bumpers dry rotting and disintegrating. I have all the needed parts to rebuild so that is next and doing a 530 chain conversion at the same time. I will post more of it as it continues its slow process.
                  A casualty of "Top Gun"? LOL
                  Looks like a great project.

Ive rebuilt fox shocks on atvs before. The parts are relatively easy to come by on Ebay or local ATV shops. Usually the key is knowing the shaft diameter.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Welcome and very cool bike!
                    I'm just north of Boston in Wilmington.

What do you ride? And what part of the industry?
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thor Lawson in virginia has most all the parts needed to replace all the seals and orings. He also has a limited supply of bottoming rubbers available.

Comment

I have a ZRX1200 as my daily driver , and I have access to all kinds of bikes to ride. I have been lead tech at a local dealership north of Boston for 30+ years

Comment

Originally posted by flugie View Post
                          Thor Lawson in virginia has most all the parts needed to replace all the seals and orings. He also has a limited supply of bottoming rubbers available.
                          I was figuring that would be the place.
                          Just wanted to know if there was another place.
                          They did a clean-up of a Fox Twin Clicker on my CBX.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome. That is on the short list my favorite bikes. Nice period mods.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

so I removed that antique farm tractor 630 drive chain this week and installed a 530 conversion kit. T/R catalog (now Tucker) showed conversion as using 98L drivechain. So I figures I would be on the safe side and ordered a 108L chain so I could set the axle where I wanted. Guess what? Needed a 110L with the axle pushed all the way forward in the swingarm ..... Installed a 112L chain ...

Comment

Working...
                              X