A new GS400x rider from DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new GS400x rider from DC

Hi everybody -- my first post here after lots of lurking, I figured it was time to say hello. I picked up my 1977 GS400x from my old roommate as my very first bike about a year ago, and nothing makes me happier.

I had it in decent shape until yesterday -- when the kickstart suddenly stopped returning after I kicked through. If i pull it up by hand afterward, it doesn't seem to be a problem and the engine runs fine, but its' hardly a real solution since it just flops back down.

I don't have a ton of mechanical experience, but was going to pull the clutch cover off and take a look at the return spring to see if anything stood out. Does anybody have any better ideas on where to start? I'd love to get back on the road

Welcome to the board! Hopefully one of the ends of the spring is broken and you can rework a bit of what's left to get you going, the parts fische shows it's no longer available. https://www.babbittsonline.com/oempa...2/kick-starter
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Hi, Ivan! hey, try to put a picture up!

I hope the kickstart isn't too big a project on these. Manuals and much else available here:

your bike should be covered by the manual named GS400-450 '77-'87 (80MB)

Comment

Working...
      X