Hello From North Vancouver BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From North Vancouver BC

Picked up this 1983 GS750ES a couple of weeks ago. My first bike. 78K km (50k miles) and seems to be pretty well kept. Don't know much about the history of the bike except that she was being stored at a local bike shop for the last three years. I bought her off the salesman there as the PO had it on consignment. Needs a few things attended to immediately such as cam chain tensioner (I think/hope), fork seals, mufflers, and polish out a few scuffs. Otherwise I've just been riding out around and really enjoying it!
    Cheers,
    Jeffrey
    Attached Files

Nice bike and welcome to the group. There are a LOT of very helpful and knowledgeable members here so do not hesitate to reach out with your questions. Which store in the LMD did you pick the bike up at?
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Welcome to the forum...nice looking bike. Consider bringing it to my meet.

No signature

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad this place is full of experts as I going to need all the help I can get! I've been wrenching on cars since high school (in the 90s) but have zero experience with bikes or carbs.

I'm not sure if the bike was actually for sale in the shop or not. I found it on craigslist and a fella that works at Modern Motorcycle came and met me on the North Shore. I'm not really sure what the story behind the bike is other than there was a work order for carb cleaning an oil change and some other minor stuff plus three years of bike storage. I dunno, in the price bracket I was looking at it was in much better shape than others I looked at so I took a flyer.

I'll definitely consider your vintage meet! If the wife gives me a hall pass. Actually I've been really looking forward to reducing the ferry headache via motorbike so that could work out!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dadzy View Post
          Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad this place is full of experts as I going to need all the help I can get! I've been wrenching on cars since high school (in the 90s) but have zero experience with bikes or carbs.

I'm not sure if the bike was actually for sale in the shop or not. I found it on craigslist and a fella that works at Modern Motorcycle came and met me on the North Shore. I'm not really sure what the story behind the bike is other than there was a work order for carb cleaning an oil change and some other minor stuff plus three years of bike storage. I dunno, in the price bracket I was looking at it was in much better shape than others I looked at so I took a flyer.

I'll definitely consider your vintage meet! If the wife gives me a hall pass. Actually I've been really looking forward to reducing the ferry headache via motorbike so that could work out!

Cheers
          Bring your wife....
          No signature

Comment

No dice:
            a) she's still kinda ****ed at me for buying a bike
            b) I have a four year old and would have to take the car or truck instead of the bike.

Comment

If you already have some garage experience it should be a piece if cake to get it up and running, there's plenty enough folks here to answer questions and other online resources to help you out.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I saw that on CL as well. Glad to see the new owner find his way here. Welcome from the other side of Burrard Inlet.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

If you decide you don't want to do any of the work that you see necessary on the bike I use this fellow in Langley who works out of his garage - Bob - he's been a trained motorcycle mechanic since Honda came to Canada in the sixties ... KNOWS his stuff and is rea$onable. 604 530 4878 or 604 329 4359
                  GS550T 1981
                  GS850G 1983
                  GS650G 1982
                  GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Welcome. Nice looking ES
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome Jeffrey,

I had a good chuckle about how your wife feels about you buying a motorcycle.

And a beautiful GS she is!!! Welcome and enjoy your way around here.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming words and the compliments!

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                        If you decide you don't want to do any of the work that you see necessary on the bike I use this fellow in Langley who works out of his garage - Bob - he's been a trained motorcycle mechanic since Honda came to Canada in the sixties ... KNOWS his stuff and is rea$onable. 604 530 4878 or 604 329 4359
                        Special thanks for this. I'm going to give it a shot over the next few weeks and see if I can get her running a bit better, but I'm sure there will be jobs for Bob down the road as well.

Actually I need some advice. I need to replace tires and it looks like availability in the stock sizes are fairly limited. Bike currently wears Battlaxe BT45s but they are not stock sizes. Rear is 130/90 and front is larger profile than stock too, 120 I think (at work currently and don't recall exact size). I was just inclined to put new stock sized BT45s on the bike, but given I'm mostly using the bike for city riding I was thinking that it might be better to fit some Pirelli Sport Demons, but the rears don't come in 120/90...I'd have to put a 130/90 back on. Am I better off sticking with stock or should I put on the Pirellis? And if so should I go stock front size and larger rear, or up-size the front too?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I had a bugger of a time trying to find stock sizing for the 650G, and ended up with a 130/90 as well. Looks aside, it does change the contact area of the tire in a negative way to put a wider tire on the stock rim, and the handling will be affected. In the end I ordered Avon Roadriders to get back to the stock tire size.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Welcome to the GSR.

Check with Aaron or Nathan at Modern Motorcycles, they always have fairly good pricing on tires and would know what would work on that bike.

David.
                            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Working...
                            X