Hello everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone

I just bought a 1980 GS750L a few months back. The po had modified it into a brat style bike. Picture is my avatar. I love it, but recently it stopped working like it did when I bought it. Oil leak around the head gasket, charging issues, gear slippage, idle issues, low compression, then just wouldn't start. I'm doing an engine rebuild to start, because I want this beauty to keep rolling down the freedom road. I should note that I've never owned or worked on a motorcycle before this. With that said, I'm elbows deep in learning everything necessary to fix and maintain this baby.

Welcome aboard. You came to the right place. You can do this. Use the search to find answers to all your problems. All of your issues are fixable. When you don't find the answers you seek, ask questions in the appropriate sub-forums. This is a very helpful group.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Vint,

First bike...? No experience riding....?
      Find a MSF class for this spring or early summer. Around here, and I assume same there, they fill up fast when open for registration in the winter, so start looking now.

Charging problem?
      Find the Quick Test on Posplayer posting, and report in post in electrical.
      Oh, that requires that you get it started.
      Try charging the battery and see if can get it started.
      You have a multi-meter? You will want one. No- You will NEED one.

Gear slipping? Really? Or mean clutch slipping?

Low compression? How low?
      Engine rebuild?
      Maybe get it running first.

Fostoria Ohio, between Toledo and Finday.
      Are some Ohio GSR members, some quite active here, but I dont know of any close to you.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I actually took the safety course last year. Was very useful. The battery charges fine, but doesn't keep it's charge while hooked up to the bike. I do have a multi meter. There was one time I was riding, about a few weeks after buying it, that it slipped out of 2nd after just changing to it. Maybe it was the clutch not engaging properly. The compression was in the low 90s for all.

Comment

As others have said, start by getting it running, before even worrying about a rebuild. Get out your meter, and check the electrics using the instructions somewhere on this website.

If it only popped out of 2nd once, you may not have had it fully in gear. If it continues to pop out of 2nd under power, the dogs on the gears are worn and the gear will have to be replaced.
          Let's hope that's not it, although it is not as hard as it sounds to change.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Sounds like the PO put a can of "fix all" in it before you bought it, and it's wearing off.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

You should go thru maintenance issues first
              Hard starting and low compression is likely tight valves
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. I shall look into the things you mentioned the next time I can get some free time out in the garage. I'm thinking perhaps a list or plan of attack might be needed to organize myself and the work to be done. Problem is, I'm not that organized.

Comment

Working...
                X