Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanSkor View Post
    Thank you,

I was aware that the L is not the preferred long distance version, despite being a cruiser.

Besides numerous bits of maintenance I have been brainstorming improvements.

At 6'3" with a long torso and arms I intend to get higher bars with a bit less rear angle.

I wear size 13 Fox Comp boots so ... over-and-under toe shifter, peg lowering, and some adjustments to the front brake. These will be done early.

Potholes, large frost heaves, and sloppy road "repairs" are a fact of life here in Massachusetts ... progressive front springs - emulators - new rear shocks.

Lowering the pegs is not always a great idea. As was mentioned, they tend to touch down before anything else, and it is not always welcome, so dropping them lower may not work to your overall advantage.

As you also mentioned raising the handlebars, perhaps you might consider raising the seat an inch or two, to give a bit more leg space.

There are custom seat fitters but they tend to be expensive, however, you can also look at local automobile upholsterers who will do this . Ask if they have experience before committing with them and check out the foam they will use.
    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Welcome!
      A 550L was my first bike and I loved that thing.
      I can imagine it being a little cramped for you, though.

After a year of riding that 550 I was hungry for more power, got me an 1100GL (I am one of the rare birds on GSR that prefers the L)
      The 1100 was bigger, heavier, more powerful, and ultimately ended up being more bike than I wanted. I missed the nimbleness of my 550.

Long story short, I eventually decided on a 650GL (because the 750GL is not available in the USA).

So welcome, and do talk issues up here -- there's a lot of knowledge and good bike sense here. Nothing like GSR anywhere else on the internets, honestly.
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Working...
      X