New GS1000E owner in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1000E owner in California

Just grabbed a bone stock 100% complete 1979 GS1000E with 50,422 miles in fantastic shape.

I am a rider and collector, but this is my first Suzuki GS. I wasn't looking for one, it just fell into my lap so to speak.

Anyway, I know it needs some attention in the clutch basket possibly (slight noise from that area), and a new seat cover, so joining a forum is always the best place to start.

20190223_134924.jpg

you are welcome

Comment

Welcome!

Beautiful bike! We enjoy seeing work in progress and also moar pics of your bike.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the forum...love those 1000E bikes!
        Where abouts in California are you?

Cheers,

Trevor
        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          Welcome to the forum...love those 1000E bikes!
          Where abouts in California are you?

Cheers,

Trevor
          Santa Barbara area-

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal smith View Post
            Santa Barbara area-
            OMG!

That's the furthest North I've traveled while I lived in L.A.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome! My wife's from Lompoc and you need to meet Chef who is in SB. Great carb man and GS builder. I plan on rolling through your way in the next month on a M/C trip. Have a few parts from a 79 GS 1000, clutch basket, 1/2 a stock exhaust system and center stand. Cheers!

Santa Barbara area-
              Last edited by Charlie G; 02-26-2019, 11:05 PM.
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I am a rider and collector...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57366[/ATTACH]
                So what are/were some of your other rides? (You can add them to you signature.)
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nice find.
                  Pit Replica makes an excellent cover.
                  Probably want to look for the grab rail for the seat as well. They can be diffiecult to find.

Welcome to the site.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Nice find.
                    Pit Replica makes an excellent cover.
                    Probably want to look for the grab rail for the seat as well. They can be diffiecult to find.

Welcome to the site.
                    Thanks-

As to the seat, mine appears to be pretty "stepped" and not like the "flat" that the seat covers fit.

I would prefer a "flat" seat (looks cleaner). The existing pan is rust free, but without removing the cover, I have no lowdown on the foam's condition. Do you guys have a foam source?

I also do not know if the cover that's on it is original. The segments (ribs/squares) are stitched and not embossed. Were the originals stitched?

Did the seats come in various configurations?

Since the bike has every original part, even the chainguard, I want to maintain that, but I am open to not being 100% (like E ignition etc.).

The seat just needs to be correct in the sense that it would appear to be factory to the layman.

Lastly, did they all come with the chrome grab bar at the rear of the seat? Mine has the cargo loops left/right.

Thanks-

Comment

The E model does have a slight step to the seat.
                      The C model with the spoke wheels, single front disc came withthe flat seat.
                      The seat cover on both should have embossed not stitched "panels".
                      Both the E and C had the rear grab handle at the back of the seat.

Agreed, yours looks too nice to be customized of but it is your bike.
                      It shouldn't be to hard to find an unfinished project or neglected GS that would be better suited to a customization.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        The E model does have a slight step to the seat.
                        The C model with the spoke wheels, single front disc came withthe flat seat.
                        The seat cover on both should have embossed not stitched "panels".
                        Both the E and C had the rear grab handle at the back of the seat.

Agreed, yours looks too nice to be customized of but it is your bike.
                        Thanks! As far as customization, I do like the look of the Giuliari seats from that era. I found a cover/foam source out of the UK. That's a possibility.

Comment

Nice bikes the GS1000s. I owned two. I bought a new one in 1978 in Holland. For a staggering 8000 florines. is in USD now $ 3500,-- Here a pic of the GS as sold in Holland. The tophalf is not Original.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X