Greetings from Chula Vista, California- GS750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Chula Vista, California- GS750e

SuziProject.jpgI've been lurking here for tips while I got my '82 GS750e up and running. I purchased a rust bucket project back in July of 2018 and have been learning as I go. This forum has been essential in getting my carbs rebuilt among other things. I ended up purchasing a second GS750e as a parts bike. It had a snapped timing chain. The problem is, it's in incredible condition and I don't have the heart to strip it. The black bike is my original project. It came with pods, rejetted carbs, resets and a 4-1 exhaust but had been sitting outside for years. The red one is the parts bike. Only 4000 miles, it's been covered in a garage and is in very nice condition minus the snapped timing chain. The new chain has been installed and currently cleaning out the carbs and rebuilding the brakes. My daily is a Triumph Speedmaster. Been riding for a little over a year. (oops, only one attachment per post)

Here's the "parts" bike minus the carbs and brakes. IMG_9424.jpg

Thank you for all of your support. I'm having a blast and can't wait to get both bikes finished.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

My kind of bikes - no luggage racks, saddle bags, etc. etc.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome, Topher.

My wife lived in Chula Vista back in the eighties. Her dad was in the navy so there must be a naval yard around there. We went to visit when my son graduated from Marine boot camp at MCRD. Anyway, there's a bridge like none I've ever seen we went over and it seemed like we were 300 feet above the water. Have you ridden over that bridge?
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome. I believe (but could be wrong, or it's been painted by you or PO) that the black engine marks that 750 as a '83, but otherwise pretty similar to the '82. FYI, if you use an image hosting site like Imgur, and copy and paste BB code from the images to your posts, you can put up to 10 images in one post, rather than just one. They show up better too.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome.
            Yes, that parts bike is a good looker.
            Per Rich's comment, the 83 GS750 was a totally new model - different engine and frame, and yes the engines were black in '83. Just for giggles, did you check the lower front cylinder block on the black engine? Seeing 1074 cm3 there would be a nice surprise.

Did you confirm that the valves and pistons were ok on the silver engine before replacing the timing chain?
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yeah I don't think the 83 750 black engine fits in that frame easily. It's either painted or an 83 1100E engine
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welcome Topher,

I'm all about 750s! (Basically because it's the only engine size bike I've ever ridden)

That red bike is sweet...good to keep it intact if you can.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  It (might be) an 83 1100E engine
                  Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Just for giggles, did you check the lower front cylinder block on the black engine? Seeing 1074 there would be a nice surprise.
                  Like Christmas morning!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yes Roger. That's the Coronado Bridge. It's a lot a fun to ride across and then down the coast along the beach, as long as it's not to windy. The view is incredible though.

Comment

Hi Rich, It's definitely an '82 (at least according to the title) the previous owner had spray painted everything flat black. I did some touch up on the paint and stripped the tank. Everything was rattle can so it doesn't look very good, especially close up. I'll strip it down and do a proper job someday...

Comment

I cleaned off all the carbon and the valves and pistons look perfect. The rocker arms were snapped and needed replacing. I purchased some 'lightly used' ones off of eBay. The chain guides were bent as well so I'm waiting on a new set to come in then I'll finish bolting it up and test fire it.

Comment

Working...
                        X