No announcement yet.

New GS1000G Owner in Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now the 9 yr old begs me for rides to school on it. I give in once a week.

KBRY8298 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
      Most likely valve seals for your leak. What is your compression?

V
      Haven't tested it. Don't have a tester yet. Bike runs perfectly, as far as I can tell, makes tons of power, no odd spots in the power band. But I should borrow a compression tester and learn something.

Comment

Late arriver here. Welcome.
        Beautiful cycle.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

:thumbsup:

Comment

My compliments on a beautiful bike (and an amazing wife!) I have a black 80 G just like yours, and I couldn't ask for a more capable all-purpose road bike. I'm sure you'll love it!

Also, keep us posted on the sidecar project. I've been eyeing Urals for years now, and the only thing that has kept me away was the pricetag. Curious to see what it takes to turn a GS into an outfit...
            80 GS1000GT
            Past bikes:
            82 GS750E
            92 VFR750
            85 CB650

Comment

Urals... I've spent about 8 hours on them, 2 different models a friend had back east that I borrowed a lot. Rode through Boston, and once down to the coast -> ferry -> Martha's Vineyard with the wife in the back and 2 folding bikes strapped to it. Quick impressions...

PROs:
              - Reverse gear.

CONs:
              - Everything else.
              - Motor is barely up to the task of shoving these up past 65 mph.
              - Brakes pull one way, motor pushed the other. You can get used to it, but it's still there, causing you to have to push with one arm or the other to correct.
              - The transmission reminded me of stomping on a pillow case full of salad forks. I know how to find the right rpms and ask it nicely, and even then, my success rate was 75% at best, with the rest being a grind. You feel like you are detroying the transmission, almost constantly. Machinery shouldn't make those noises. Both bikes did it, and again, I'm not new at this. He assured me it was normal, and suggested a life of japanese transmissions had ruined me. Fair enough.
              - Everything would like to rust, as soon as possible. He went through and replaced every single nut and bolt with stainless on a....
              - $16,000 motorcycle new? I shouldn't have to do that. If these cost $9,000, I'd say fine, fair enough. But when they retail for $15-$20k, no effing way.

That was my gut reaction 4-5 years back, anyway. Take it for what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by KillRamsey View Post
                Urals... I've spent about 8 hours on them, 2 different models a friend had back east that I borrowed a lot. Rode through Boston, and once down to the coast -> ferry -> Martha's Vineyard with the wife in the back and 2 folding bikes strapped to it.
                My hat's off to you, sir - I don't even ride my GS in Boston

Motor is barely up to the task of shoving these up past 65 mph.
                I hear the '19 model is slightly better in that regard, but probably not by much. Though I'm not sure that I'd want to drive any sidecar rig that much beyond 65 in any event, just because of the handling dynamics.

- The transmission reminded me of stomping on a pillow case full of salad forks. I know how to find the right rpms and ask it nicely, and even then, my success rate was 75% at best, with the rest being a grind. You feel like you are detroying the transmission, almost constantly. Machinery shouldn't make those noises. Both bikes did it, and again, I'm not new at this. He assured me it was normal, and suggested a life of japanese transmissions had ruined me. Fair enough.
                The term I most commonly hear to describe them is "agricultural". I think it's probably normal for them, and something I could consider quaint or even charming if I'd payed in the ballpark what I paid for my old GS. But for $16K+? No way... I'd be cringing with every crunch.

Brakes pull one way, motor pushed the other. You can get used to it, but it's still there, causing you to have to push with one arm or the other to correct.
                I'm curious, though... isn't that just part of the handling dynamics of any sidecar rig, at least to some degree? I ask out of ignorance, I haven't had the opportunity to ride a rig yet.
                80 GS1000GT
                Past bikes:
                82 GS750E
                92 VFR750
                85 CB650

Comment

It is, but with a good setup it's minimized. With the Urals, if I didn't push pretty hard to the left on accel, the bike would veer to the right, out of the lane fairly quickly. Opposite for braking, would try to cross the double yellow everytime. Recently rode a sidecar rig here in town owned by a friend, a recent bmw gs650 setup, stock suspension etc. Was miles better. And that's without the leading link fork conversion.

Comment

I have a Ural that my brother rode on his winter adventure into Canada and the arctic circle. Bad quality, a McIver fix almost every night. I will be pulling the side car to attach to my 83 1100G. The rest of the bike I am looking for a Goldwing engine to drop into it, heck the CX 550 had more power.

They are a russian piece of poooooooo.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                      I have a Ural that my brother rode on his winter adventure into Canada and the arctic circle. Bad quality, a McIver fix almost every night. I will be pulling the side car to attach to my 83 1100G. The rest of the bike I am looking for a Goldwing engine to drop into it, heck the CX 550 had more power.

They are a russian piece of poooooooo.
                      V
                      LOL - well, that's some good feedback, especially as I've had the idea of an arctic circle motorcycle adventure on my bucket list ever since I heard that they were building the Tuktoyaktuk highway. Somehow, the idea of doing that on a Ural with my son seemed like an adventure, but yeah, I'm sure there are a lot more reliable tugs available.

It is, but with a good setup it's minimized. With the Urals, if I didn't push pretty hard to the left on accel, the bike would veer to the right, out of the lane fairly quickly. Opposite for braking, would try to cross the double yellow everytime. Recently rode a sidecar rig here in town owned by a friend, a recent bmw gs650 setup, stock suspension etc. Was miles better. And that's without the leading link fork conversion.
                      Good to know... especially that it was better without the leading link fork. I will definitely tune in if you decide to start on that sidecar project!
                      80 GS1000GT
                      Past bikes:
                      82 GS750E
                      92 VFR750
                      85 CB650

Comment

It's bound to happen. If I were just going to ride around sans-hack on a bike, it wouldn't be this tall and heavy. Give me a flicky little dual sport, or a 400cc something, anyday. This thing was chosen for its ability to haul 3 of us.

Comment

Working...
                        X