New Recruit in TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Recruit in TN

Hello. I just bought a 1982 GS1100G and then found this forum as a link off The GSResources site. Back in the 1980s, I owned a couple of new GS models, a 1980 GS550E and a 1981 GS850G. The '82 1100 I just bought is all stock and looks great in pictures. Hopefully it's as nice in person. I'll probably have it in my possession in a couple or three weeks. A hauler that I've used successfully in the past is going to pick it up for me.

DT, Welcome to TheGSR.

I see that you are between Nashville and Chattanooga.

THe 1100G will be a lot like the 850G. So maybe you are familiar with the hub-spline in the rear wheel, if not, you will want to be.

One difference between this GS that you have now and those that you had before is that this one is now 37 years old.

Thanks for introducing yourself some.
    You got any pics of your 1100G you can post?? Maybe you snagged some from the listing when it was for sale.

We could even tolerate pics of a Triumph.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Another here.

Hopefully you find out quickly whether it runs well and is safe to ride, because the Brown County Rally is just 8 weeks and 300 miles away from you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's the GS1100G. I'll be getting it sooner than anticipated. My driver picked it up this morning in New York and will deliver it to me on Monday.

I have a long and varied Suzuki history. Besides the other two GS models I mentioned, I have also owned four RE5s, including a 1975 that I bought new. Also had a 1999 Hayabusa, a 1990s GSXR1100, 1972 T350 Rebel, and a 1980 TS125 enduro.
        My current stable only has one Suzuki, the GS I just bought, plus a 2019 Harley Road King, 2000 Excelsior-Henderson, and a 1998 ATK DT600 (factory flat tracker).

Comment

That is one nice looking bike. Nice score. Will we get the privilege of seeing it in Indiana in June?
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            That is one nice looking bike. Nice score. Will we get the privilege of seeing it in Indiana in June?
            Thanks! When in June? I get up to Indiana occasionally and will be in Indianapolis the weekend of June 8 for a custom car show. My son and daughter and one granddaughter live in Indiana (Anderson, Marion, Bloomington respectively). I used to live in the Anderson area but moved to Tennessee in 2000.

Comment

This year's Indiana rally is again in Bedford during the days of June 20-23. There is a thread on the details in the GS Meetingplace forum (I think).
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Yep, Bedford is only 20 miles south of Bloomington.

Send a message to bwringer, he is the one that handles all the room assignments. Most of us stay at the Rosemount Inn. Not large, not fancy, but it's ALL GSR.
                Yep, every room there will be occupied by a member of this forum. A few members choose to stay at other motels for various reasons, but we all hang out in the parking lot at the Rosemount.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Welcome! Lovely bike. Looks like you made a nice score.

I just rode through Tullahoma yesterday. Lovely part of middle TN. I live up the road a ways in Murfreesboro.

I'll be riding up to the Brown County GS Rally and you're welcome to join me if you like. I avoid the Interstate and have a pretty nice, back-roads route that takes all day to get up there, but is infinitly better (to me) than taking the slab. You can see it here

Check out the Brown County Rally here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...SAVE-THE-DATE!

It's very laid back and friendly and you are more than welcome to join. Actually, calling it a rally might be a stretch. Using the term "rally" implies some kind of organization, which is largely lacking here, on purpose. Really, it's a convenient shorthand way of saying, "a bunch of great people getting together in a cool place for a long weekend to ride some fun twisty roads and hang out in a parking lot at night eating pizza, drinking beer, and telling stories (lies?) to each other."

Regardless, welcome to the forum. This is a great group of folk dedicated to these old bikes and many are here super knowledgeable and helpful. I hope we get to see more pictures and it would be cool to see the old girl in person some time.
                  Last edited by gbw; 05-05-2019, 11:54 AM.
                  Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                  Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                    Welcome! Lovely bike. Looks like you made a nice score.

I just rode through Tullahoma yesterday. Lovely part of middle TN. I live up the road a ways in Murfreesboro.

I'll be riding up to the Brown County GS Rally and you're welcome to join me if you like. I avoid the Interstate and have a pretty nice, back-roads route that takes all day to get up there, but is infinitly better (to me) than taking the slab. You can see it here

Regardless, welcome to the forum. This is a great group of folk dedicated to these old bikes and many are here super knowledgeable and helpful. I hope we get to see more pictures and it would be cool to see the old girl in person some time.
                    Thanks gbw. I can't access the page with your route but no matter. I, too, am a back road rider, allergic to the interstates, especially on a motorcycle. I ride a few thousand miles a year across my bikes and probably fewer that 50 miles per year on interstates. I may not make the rally this year since I'll have been in Indy a couple weeks before, but on the other hand, I might spontaneously appear. In any case, I look forward to meeting you and some th eother folks on this fine forum.

Comment

Yeah Greg, your link does not show any routes. Do you have another link that might work?
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

OK, I found the route.

Click HERE.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve. I see my error now and corrected it in my original post.

And while that route is nice, if I have time, and I'm not too tired, I'll head west from Paoli, and run 150/450 into Bedford.
                          Last edited by gbw; 05-05-2019, 11:57 AM.
                          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                            Thanks Steve. I see my error now and corrected it in my original post.
                            Just checked your edit, it works fine.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

To Steve and Greg. You're welcome . Hey, don't get mad at me, someone had to point it out.

You guys are great, see you both next month in beautiful downtown Bedford.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X