Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member Hello

Hello!

My name is Seth, I am 25 and I am from a small town in South Eastern Kentucky called Corbin (Home of the original KFC). I bought my first bike last February, a 1978 Suzuki GS550. I fell in love with the whole process of making it my own and ending up finishing it by June of the same year (so I thought). At the end of 2018 I started noticing that the tune of the bike changed and exhaust pipes 2 and 3 were cold. After cleaning carbs, installing new ignition coils, new points and condensers, and new ground wires... 2 & 3 pipes were still cold. Fast forward to now, the only other thing I could think of/find online was to get new piston rings. I've got the new rings on and along with a new piston jug I got on ebay (mine wasn't in the greatest condition after taking it off and looking through it) installed back onto my engine (also putting all new gaskets). Now I am currently putting the cylinder head back together after cleaning and replacing valve seals and cleaning valves. If all goes as planned I'd like to put the head back on this Sunday and start measuring for new shims. My plan is to have everything put back together before June gets here and see if cylinders 2 & 3 run . I am looking forward to being apart of this forum and hopefully I'll learn a lot! Any help ill be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Seth
    Attached Files

Welcome. Good luck.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to THeGSR.

Thanks for the introduction and the picture.

Post about the 2&3 being cold in technical section, probably the electrical-ignition, since what is common to cylinder 2 and 3 is the ignition. Also state if your new coils included new spark plug caps.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome from just up the road! You will find a lot of great info here.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Welcome to the GSR. I have to take exception to your story about the original KFC.... it was here in Salt Lake..... True story and I can back that up....

Good people on this forum Enjoy. I have gotten great advice and information here.
          sigpic
          Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Hi Seth and WELCOME
            My guess is you have trouble at the supply plug to the 2&3 coil.
            And the original KFC was in Ireland. Just last month the manager down there took me out back and showed me the pen and notebook where he wrote down his recipe before emigratating to the New World.
            Last edited by Brendan W; 05-16-2019, 04:39 AM.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Really guys??? It is "Kentucky Fried Chicken". Google it! They even have a mini "museum" at the original one in Kentucky! And they might even have some of the original grease!
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I'm from Boardman, Ohio. Home of the first Arby's...
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Welcome...
                  I am located in Knoxville, TN...Birthplace of Christina Hendricks, who played Joan in the TV series Madmen.
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
                    Welcome to the GSR. I have to take exception to your story about the original KFC.... it was here in Salt Lake..... True story and I can back that up....

Good people on this forum Enjoy. I have gotten great advice and information here.

The first franchised KFC was in Salt Lake... The "original" is in Corbin...True story I can back that up..

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                      Welcome from just up the road! You will find a lot of great info here.
                      I'm in Lexington a lot! Nice to see a fellow Kentuckyian on here

Comment

The original KFC was in Antarctica, the Colonel made a fortune feeding the three million Nazis hiding under the ice cap. His special recipie of herbs and spices was beamed directly into his Pineal gland by aliens, there was an episode about it on The History Channel.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by SB3 View Post
                          The first franchised KFC was in Salt Lake... The "original" is in Corbin...True story I can back that up..
                          Yes, you are correct the first "Harman's Kentucky Fried Chicken".. is in Salt Lake City... but ya know.. that it's owned by "YUM" it just ain't the same....
                          Welcome again to the forum... this is the last I'll EVER bring up chicken....
                          sigpic
                          Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Here in my town we had a local family owned chicken take out place, named Cobb’s Chicken. There big sign said “don’t settle for the kernel when can have the Cobb.”

again, welcome, Seth.
                            sometimes the discussion here can divert from the main point of the posting.
                            Last edited by Redman; 05-16-2019, 09:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              again, welcome, Seth.
                              sometimes the discussion here can divert from the main point of the posting.
                              Here is me thinking that was a condition of membership
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X