New member who is new to GS ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member who is new to GS ownership

I am a new member who is a long time rider. Been riding for 50 years so far. My first treat bike was a 1979 GS550L. Currently riding several Yamaha Road Stars but was given a 1983 GS650G by my father in law. Weird sitting on a bike that was basically the same as the first street bike I owned. Right now it sits covered in dust and grime having not been started since 2004 so looking forward to the rebuild phase over the next year. This is a great forum site and I have already been reading a lot of helpful info on it so far. One thing I cant figure out is tires. Where do I find a rear tire in the correct size? Cant find anything yet on this forum about them. Everything else looks straight forward, but then again I am used to 2 massive cylinders and 1 carb. Do my own me me mechanical work so looking forward to hours of carb fun.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome to the forum. You have a great father in law if he gave you a GS650G for free. I wouldn't mind one of those myself one day. What size rear tire is currently on it?
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Greetings, welcome, and all that.

As luck would have it, an '81 650G is sitting in my shop, waiting for its new owner to pick it up. I just looked, it is wearing IRC Durotour tires. Sizes are 100/90-19 up front and 110/90-17 on the rear. I have no idea how they perform or how they will last, but at least they ARE available in proper sizes. The rear is also available in 120/90 and 130/90. The 120 would probably be OK, not sure the wheel is wide enough to properly support the 130.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi, lifeguard. I also have a 650G. Mines '82.
        Tires? yes I hate looking these up too...

Bridgestone "Battle ax?) BT45's are what I have on my 82 GS650G now as a pair and they are nice.
        So naturally I'll say, replace both tires with this set.

Yours are probably both pretty old....I am not a big expert but...opinionated.
        Generally replacing just the rear is fine and pretty common for general use when the bike is ridden alot and if the front looks ok- they usually wear slower...and Old tires are ok to get the bike running round the block too. which is where you are at.

Other fits I have :
        Avon Road Riders also fit (universal fit front and rear so pay attention to tread direction ) but on my bike, they sealed poorly to the rims-went flat...also began to crack whether due to the leakage or poor production run, I don't care....

Steve mentioned Duros.... I have it on my chart that Duros that fit are REAR "HF261 120/90 17" and FRONT Duro HF261 100/90 19 which is a front/rear universal so again, check the tread direction. Not exactly a "matched set" for what that's worth...These are economical and pretty good utility tires, I think . I've had new and old ones. They don't purport to excel in any way at this price-level (I guess that's true of BT45s and Roadriders too) except to work generally and be reasonable price.
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-30-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          Hi, lifeguard. I also have a 650G. Mines '82.
          Tires? yes I hate looking these up too...

Bridgestone "Battle ax?) BT45's are what I have on my 82 GS650G now as a pair and they are nice.
          So naturally I'll say, replace both tires with this set.

Yours are probably both pretty old....I am not a big expert but...opinionated.
          Generally replacing just the rear is fine and pretty common for general use when the bike is ridden alot and if the front looks ok- they usually wear slower...and Old tires are ok to get the bike running round the block too. which is where you are at.

Other fits I have :
          Avon Road Riders also fit (universal fit front and rear so pay attention to tread direction ) but on my bike, they sealed poorly to the rims-went flat...also began to crack whether due to the leakage or poor production run, I don't care....

Steve mentioned Duros.... I have it on my chart that Duros that fit are REAR "HF261 120/90 17" and FRONT Duro HF261 100/90 19 which is a front/rear universal so again, check the tread direction. Not exactly a "matched set" for what that's worth...These are economical and pretty good utility tires, I think . I've had new and old ones. They don't purport to excel in any way at this price-level (I guess that's true of BT45s and Roadriders too) except to work generally and be reasonable price.
          Had a bugger of a time looking up specs on the Duro tires, there are very few that are speed rated high enough even for my puny little 450.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            Had a bugger of a time looking up specs on the Duro tires, there are very few that are speed rated high enough even for my puny little 450.
            No problem. The Duro HF261 tires are H-rated, which means constant speeds of 130 mph.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the site Lifeguard. You will definitely find all the mechanical advice you will need, and then some, on this forum. Looking forward to some pictures.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
              X