Central Florida new member chiming in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Florida new member chiming in.

Hello from hotter than heck Central Florida!
    My wife, Lesa, just added a 1982 GS550L to the stable. She is a through and through Honda girl but liked the looks of the bike. Who am I to argue!
    This makes a total of 9 motorcycles. Also makes a total of 28 carburetors I am responsible for just in the motorcycles we have.
    This is actually my second post, having posted in a thread about handling issues and a unique one I found on this new Suzuki.
    Anyway....the bike is pretty nice so far! I have been through the carbs on it in the new 5.5 gallon ultrasonic I bought. Was nice being able to put the whole bank in there with room to spare. Going through all of the normal service items. Had to install a new clutch cable and will be installing some new or good used shift linkage parts as there is a lot of slop in what is on there.
    Anyway, glad to be here and have been doing quite a bit of research on the bike. Looks like there are several knowledgeable folks on here. Hopefully I can help out once in a while.

Welcome Pappy, where are you located?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Welcome. Over on the east coast near Melbourne. Rick has lots of parts and I have some. Maybe we can help.
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I will add another , then express a concern.

I have no experience with using an ultrasonic cleaner on the carbs, but many here have done it and embrace its use. The concern that I have is for the o-rings that deteriorate over time. The ONLY way to replace them is to not just open up the carbs, but to ungang the rack. The o-rings on the fuel transfer tubes are the primary suspects, and the "choke" plungers are right up there, too. Hopefully you at least took out all the jets for proper cleaning. Carb "rebuild kits" are not necessary, in fact, they are discouraged here. Usually, all that is needed is an o-ring kit available from cycleorings.com. That o-ring kit is less than half the price of one "rebuild kit", and you need four "rebuild" kits to do all the carbs.

Two other areas of concern on these bikes are valve clearances and charging system. Please make sure those areas are addressed, as well.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

HI guys! I am located in Eustis. Bottom of the Ocala National Forest and near Mt. Dora. Good riding around here without much of the traffic of the large cities.
          As far as the carbs and the Ultrasonic goes. I did choose to replace as many rubber parts as possible. I pulled the needle seats, cleaned and re-used the filter screens, all jets were pulled, Choke plungers were pulled and the rubber seats inspected, choke shaft and linkage were cleaned with a scotch brite and the choke works like silk now. New needles and seats were installed as well as new jets, both pilot and high speed circuits. All circuits were verified prior to assembly and the engine now runs as it should.
          Not new to carburetors by a long shot. Our Valkyries have six in two banks and a total of 112 rubber parts to replace if you pull the banks and separate the carbs. I also do tons of carbs at work in my part time job. Mainly Yamaha.

Comment

We'll have to hook up for breakfast and a ride one Sunday morning. I ride around Lake Apopka every now and then, when the family isn't heading to the coast in the boat.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I will add another , then express a concern.

I have no experience with using an ultrasonic cleaner on the carbs, but many here have done it and embrace its use. The concern that I have is for the o-rings that deteriorate over time. The ONLY way to replace them is to not just open up the carbs, but to ungang the rack. The o-rings on the fuel transfer tubes are the primary suspects, and the "choke" plungers are right up there, too. Hopefully you at least took out all the jets for proper cleaning. Carb "rebuild kits" are not necessary, in fact, they are discouraged here. Usually, all that is needed is an o-ring kit available from cycleorings.com. That o-ring kit is less than half the price of one "rebuild kit", and you need four "rebuild" kits to do all the carbs.

Two other areas of concern on these bikes are valve clearances and charging system. Please make sure those areas are addressed, as well.

I also have a large tank, but I don't have a big concern about the fuel tube o-ring unless it's been sitting for years. If it has been in use and has only been sitting for a year or so, they should be okay. You'll know pretty quickly if they leak prior to cleaning them if you tried to get it to run. I find if you don't disturb them they don't leak. I would never reuse them if they were separated, but the cleaner I use Sharpertek SC20 is a carb cleaner degreaser, designed for ultrasonic tanks and is safe on rubber.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I agree with the fuel tube o-rings. One thing I would add is that if you experience the fuel tube o-rings leaking a bit from sitting then swelling up and sealing when fuel is present you are on borrowed time with them. May as well order the parts and wait for the right weekend to get 'em done.

Steering head bearings this weekend for me hopefully. Want to get them done and off the list.

Rick, that sounds good. Lesa and I mainly ride with our Valkyrie group when we can. Usually a RTE (Ride To Eat) somewhere. However we also like to get out and go whenever we can. If you like the riding up around here just let me know or we can meet somewhere.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We could use expert experience here like yours. Glad to have you!
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Thanks DDaniels.
                    I have experience but new to the vintage Suzuki world. Lesa and I have 9 motorcyles. She grew up on Hondas and has an on-going love affair with them and I support where I can. Neither of us are in love with the new "transformer" looking bikes and much prefer the vintage/retro look. Two of the bikes we have are the new 125cc Honda Monkeys, about as retro as you can get and I look forward to not having to clean carburetors on these !!
                    We also have 5 vintage/antique boats and around 100 or so vintage and antique outboards going back as far as 1913. Almost all of them are in running condition and we have meets around Florida each month to get out and get them on the water.....so, experience I have, whether I want it or not!!
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pappy View Post
                      Thanks DDaniels.
                      I have experience but new to the vintage Suzuki world. Lesa and I have 9 motorcyles. She grew up on Hondas and has an on-going love affair with them and I support where I can. Neither of us are in love with the new "transformer" looking bikes and much prefer the vintage/retro look. Two of the bikes we have are the new 125cc Honda Monkeys, about as retro as you can get and I look forward to not having to clean carburetors on these !!
                      We also have 5 vintage/antique boats and around 100 or so vintage and antique outboards going back as far as 1913. Almost all of them are in running condition and we have meets around Florida each month to get out and get them on the water.....so, experience I have, whether I want it or not!!
                      That's it, I'm coming over for sure. Vintage is where it's at.
                      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Sounds like fun. Maybe we can all get together.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                        X