Family heirloom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family heirloom

I recently found a very special bike, to me. My dads 77 GS750. He bought the bike new when I was 6 or 7 and I have great memories of him taking me riding on what I was sure was the fastest motorcycle in the world! He sold it a few years later and never bought another motorcycle.

I had been looking for a CB 750 or similar 70s Japanese bike for a scrambler project. I’d been looking on eBay and Craig’s list for a few weeks and talking to various people I know, just looking for the right bike at the right price.

I happened to be talking to one of my dads old friends about bikes and he mentioned that the guy my dad sold the bike to still had it and that it had been just sitting in his garage for years. Immediately I had visions of restoring the old girl and presenting it as a gift to the old man.

Expecting the worst I met up with the guy to check it out. It had been stored in his garage and was last tagged in 1988. He said that he had been planning to get it running again but didn’t have the money or mechanical knowledge to fix it back up. He had drained the carbs and fogged the cylinders, drained the fuel tank and fogged it with oil as well. He said that he would turn the engine over with the kick starter every now and then to keep the rings and valves from sticking. Of course the tires were rotten and the seat cover is brittle and it was covered with dust, but appeared to be in surprisingly good condition.

Best of all he was willing to sell it to me at a very reasonable price because of my family connection to the bike and because I assured him that I intended to restore it rather than mod it.

After getting it home and looking deeper I realized that the brake system is pretty much toast. The master cylinders were frozen up with dried up brake fluid. The brake hoses are completely clogged and the calipers were full of brown sludge.

I hooked it it to a battery and was pleased to find that everything electrical was working. Starter, lights gauges, and I had fire on all four cylinders. A look with the bore scope showed the cylinder walls were spotless thanks to being oiled properly. After a quick carb clean and and a fresh set of spark plugs she fired right up. Smoked for a few minutes and blew a crap load of rust out of the pipes. But idled smoothly.

So far I’ve replaced the tires, tubes and wheel bearings. Polished the chrome and given it a thorough cleaning. There are a few chips in the paint and a couple of small dents in the tank. The bright work is in very good condition with a just few very small pits in the front fender and exhaust pipes. And there are some gouges in the bottom of the stator cover where my dad laid it down on a dirt road.

I disassembled the calipers and master cylinders and i believe that they can be rebuilt. I’m now waiting on brake parts. They are supposed to arrive this week and hopefully I’ll be able to take it for a shakedown ride by next weekend.
    Attached Files

Cool story. Thanks for sharing and wish you the best with the rest of it. Your Dad will be blessed.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Great story and wonderful luck. Enjoy the rides again
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Great!!

Welcome!

do tell us more of your adventure.

(one thing you didnt say is what riding experience you have)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sounds like a nice score having it prepped right for storage, getting away with just tires and brakes on something that's sat that long is like finding the Holy Grail in my book!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Very nice story. I wish you luck in your restoration!

Comment

Wow - What a find!
                I can tell how proud you are of the bike and it's heritage.
                Way to go!!

Comment

Great back story to a GS restoration.
                  Welcome to the site, Chris.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Use early 8 valve service manual here. note the VM CARB REBUILD tutorial on right side margin.

Oring kit for carbs and intake orings here, and measure the ID of the groove for the intake orings to select proper ones.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Cool to get the bike back in the family. Good luck.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for those links Chuck Hahn. Very helpful.

Waiting on brake parts is killing me.

I took it for a short ride around the neighborhood last night with no brakes. Kinda exciting.

It has a weird detent in the steering. The bars want to stay straight ahead. It’s very odd feeling. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be like this but i don’t like it.

With it on the center stand and front wheel off the ground the bars turn smoothly but definitely snap into a detent pointing them straight ahead.

I figure either it’s made that way to make it track straight or there is a worn spot on one of the bearing races. Either way I don’t like how it feels and will probably swap in tapered bearings.

Comment

Sounds like you may be looking at steering stem bearing troubles.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGTA View Post
                            It has a weird detent in the steering. The bars want to stay straight ahead. It’s very odd feeling. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be like this but i don’t like it.

With it on the center stand and front wheel off the ground the bars turn smoothly but definitely snap into a detent pointing them straight ahead.

I figure either it’s made that way to make it track straight or there is a worn spot on one of the bearing races. Either way I don’t like how it feels and will probably swap in tapered bearings.
                            Budget for new steering head bearings. Not expensive at all.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Definitely new steering head bearings. Nope, not normal to do that. Your dad will be very pleased I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                              X