Just gifted a GS550L. Stoked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just gifted a GS550L. Stoked.

My father's best friend, and my good friend, is moving on to new adventures. We were discussing clearing out his big and very full shop, and he mentioned getting rid of an old bike. I've always known him to be a Harley guy, but he explained his first bike, purchased when he was 19, was a '79 Suzuki GS500L. I asked how much, and he offered it to me for free. I accepted.

The bike has just under 12k miles, and has been garaged and tarped for at least 20 years. It was put away running, and is completely intact, I even got both the keys. Except for a set of highway pegs, it was never modified.

Before I knew anything about these bikes, I was stoked. I've been looking for a little bike to run errands around town. With a wife and young daughter, I'm not looking for a sport bike, but just to be able to ride something again. I grew up riding and maintaining a few trail bikes, a Honda Trail 50, a Honda GL100, and later a pair of Yamaha TTR 125s. When I was 20 I sold my car and spent a year putting 20k miles on a 1981 GL1100 Gold Wing. It died and I moved onto other things, and I parted with it. Wish I still had her, but alas, new projects are afoot! I've never owned a Suzuki, but have a friend who races, and have spent the last decade drinking beers and holding his GSX-R 1000's while he wrenches on them. I dig that this is sort of the grandpa to those race bikes. Reading a bunch of the posts here, and seeing the potential for an artsy cafe build down the line, have me really excited to start learning about this bike and the world of the original UJM that I was unaware of until about 3 days ago.

Right now I am heading into my final semester as a computer science student at Sacramento State (went back to school after working as a draftsman/modeler for 10 years after high school). I have a baby, and am short on both money and free time. For now, my goal is to get this thing running great. Cosmetics are low on my priority list, save some elbow grease. I want it safe, and I would love it to be reliable. I am as novice a motorcycle mechanic as one can get, but I love to learn. My biggest fear is ruining what looks to be a true gem of a barn find. I want to take my time before trying to turn it over and make sure I'm not damaging it by rushing the gun. I have read about replacing certain fuel components and the rubber throughout. I assume a thorough carb cleaning is in my future, along with a new petcock. Something I haven't read about, but the PO mentioned was a "self-lubricating chain" with o-rings inside. He said I should just replace it from the go. I'll probably replace brake lines, fuel lines, and do new fork seals and oil. I promise to do my duty to read all that has already been shared before asking questions.

Here are some pics!

Cheers!
    -Stares@Flames
    Last edited by stares_at_flames; 07-28-2019, 05:01 PM.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.”
    — Mitchell Kapor

Welcome and be sure to read this...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

The Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature will come in useful as well.

The 550 is a great bike and known to be uber durable, like most GS bikes.

Good luck with your project.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The more time I spend sitting next to the bike and slowly dismantling it, the more attached I'm growing to the style. Also many notes about the crime of messing with a stock bike have me feeling a little guilty for rushing into googling lots of gsxr front ends and a bobbed tail, eapecially considering the insanely low mileage it has. If I can restore this thing, finding another bike (or parts/scraps) for a second cafe build with pipes and pods and a new front end would still be pretty cheap to pull together. Then I'd have a fleet. This is not the bike for that kind of project.

That said, I am finding a special kind of joy in patiently loosening screws two days at a time. I have also ordered JIS drivers. Most of these screws have never been turned, but are pretty seized. Deep Creep is working great, and I want to get nice drivers to preserve the pristine screws during their first 'cracking'. Starting with the motor, and have studied up on the valve shimming, that will be my first real project as I clean the tank and scrub the carbs. Carb rebuild next, no pods or anything, just getting them clean and focusing on gaps in the airbox and intake sleeves.

My back brake is seized, no motion from the pedal, and the front brake handle is totally floppy, pulls in with zero resistance. Other than changing hoses, and rebuilding (I assume replacing the rubber seals in the master cylinder and caliper after cleaning) should they be okay? Im going to focus on tires and brakes once I have the thing running.
      Last edited by stares_at_flames; 08-03-2019, 03:29 AM.
      “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.”
      — Mitchell Kapor

Comment

Welcome. Sounds like you have your priorities straight regarding cosmetics vs mechanics.
        One thing I see in your pics that you didn't mention- the fork tubes appear to be rusty. If they are you will end up with leaky fork seals.
        Also keep in mind that your bike doesnt have a great resale value, but it sounds like you're planning a long term ownership. If so great. If not you can easily go upside down on cost.

Good luck and enjoy .
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Find service manuals here and the carb rebuild tutorials on the right margin.

Rebuild kits arent needed....just the oring kit and intake orings here.....

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan on what to do. I would say the couple of light mods that many L owners do, myself included: unstep the seat foam, and recover with a "G" style cover; Swap the bars to something a little more suitable to an upright riding position, I went with Daytona bars, which has similar rise/rake to what would have come on the "G" model as stock. I also added a smaller windscreen.
            1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
            1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
            Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Working...
            X