First Time Motorcycle Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Motorcycle Owner

I figured I might as well put up some info about me, I already posted a couple of times.

Anyway, my name is Jasper, I'm 28, and I just got a motorcycle for the first time. I have autism (Asperger's syndrome), and one way that has held me back is driving. Driving a car is too... stressful on my mind. Too many unknowns (a lot of surface area you can't see). I've been riding bicycles all my life, and figured a motorcycle would be the next logical step. So I recently took and passed the MSF course, and I'm going for a Class M license.

A day before I was set to take the course, I was perusing Craigslist for giggles. Looking at motorcycles that were several thousand dollars, knowing that would be months of saving for me. However, I happened to see an ad for a 1980 Suzuki (I looked up pictures and guessed that it was a 550E). It was right off the path I take to ride to work, very cheap, AND a day before I would learn to ride a motorcycle. The signs couldn't be clearer! So my fiancee loaned me $200 (having spent mine on the course), I bought it, and the next day, we brought it home. It had belonged to the owner's brother who had meant to restore it, but passed away. It sat in storage under a deck for 3 years (last inspection sticker is 2017), and is is pretty good shape for the age. I'm guessing it's a 550ET model. IMG_20190713_191728.jpg
    1980 GS550E

Welcome Jasper. Good luck with the cycle, and a good start by taking the safety course. Enjoy.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
      I figured I might as well put up some info about me, I already posted a couple of times.

Anyway, my name is Jasper, I'm 28, and I just got a motorcycle for the first time. I have autism (Asperger's syndrome), and one way that has held me back is driving. Driving a car is too... stressful on my mind. Too many unknowns (a lot of surface area you can't see). I've been riding bicycles all my life, and figured a motorcycle would be the next logical step. So I recently took and passed the MSF course, and I'm going for a Class M license.

A day before I was set to take the course, I was perusing Craigslist for giggles. Looking at motorcycles that were several thousand dollars, knowing that would be months of saving for me. However, I happened to see an ad for a 1980 Suzuki (I looked up pictures and guessed that it was a 550E). It was right off the path I take to ride to work, very cheap, AND a day before I would learn to ride a motorcycle. The signs couldn't be clearer! So my fiancee loaned me $200 (having spent mine on the course), I bought it, and the next day, we brought it home. It had belonged to the owner's brother who had meant to restore it, but passed away. It sat in storage under a deck for 3 years (last inspection sticker is 2017), and is is pretty good shape for the age. I'm guessing it's a 550ET model. [ATTACH=CONFIG]58619[/ATTACH]
      Welcome! You may find you have even more on your mind while on your motorcycle, I know I do compared to driving a car. In my case it gives my brain something meaningful to do since I'm focusing on what's immediately around me instead of contemplating issues that have no real value in the real world.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
        I figured I might as well put up some info about me,.....
        ............................................. Driving a car is too... stressful on my mind. Too many unknowns (a lot of surface area you can't see). I've been riding bicycles all my life, and figured a motorcycle would be the next logical step. .....
        ZPS Jasper,

Again, Welcome to TheGSR.

Looks like you rented a big truck to get the bike home.

Also sounds like you spent entire budget for the bike purchase, so that brings up the question about other expenditures required (per other postings), and then also gear like helmet and jacket and gloves.
        Do tell us more of your adventure.

I will say that after riding the mocykle for a while, you will realise that is much more going on on the bike than in a typical car. On bike you have shifting and clutch, and front brake and rear brake, and the other pesky detail: you can fall over. And other situation of if the other drivers see you.

But, know what,...!
        SOmething you said is similar to what I would say: You see everything coming at you and you see the road disappears underneath you.
        That is my biggest memory of my first ride: the full view of the road ahead, and the full view of the road comming at me and going under me, and full view of things on side of road going past, all in view. THat is my biggest memory of my first ride, and it seemed that everything else just kinda settled down. And I think that, for me anyway, is directly related to whatever the appeal of motorcycling is for me.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

ZPS Jasper, Are you saying that you are learning to ride the mocycle ... at the same time as learning to navagate traffic....? Have not had expereince driving a car.....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
          X