New GS650GLX Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS650GLX Owner

Howdy everyone. I recently bought a 1982 GS650GLX that had been badly abused because it was cheap, and it seemed like a good starting place because of the engine. I wanted to ride a sweet bike, but not shell out the money for one new, or even one that had been maintained, and figured a project could be fun, so here I am! I've already taken care of the carbs (new o-rings, rejetted, cleaned thoroughly), the intake (new boots and o-rings. No need to seal the airbox because it came to me with pods), fixed the valve clearances and replaced the valve cover gasket, and purchased a new stator and reg/rec. So, I think I've gotten most of the basics taken care of, but cut out the wiring harness from the PO because it was mangy and in bad shape, and now need to build a new wiring harness so I can get this thing back on the road and enjoy it. I'll be posting shortly over in the electrical section with some questions about that, if anyone is inclined towards helping me in that arena.

For now, I'll leave a picture of the bike as I got it here, with a guarantee of a new (and hopefully more enticing) photo when I get it all done.

IMG_0315.jpg

This forum has already been a wealth of knowledge and I'm looking forward to returning this guy to its former glory.

Welcome. Sounds like you’re on a good path addressing the mechanicals first. You should add servicing the brakes onto that list- they are kind of important

Looks like someone did did a poor job on removing the L trademarks (stepped seat and high handlebars). You may also want to check the cable routing from the handlebars- if they are original cables, all that extra cable from adding the low bars had to go..... somewhere.
    Good luck, keep us updated.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Was the rear lowered?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I like those Harley mufflers! I have a set on a 400 and have to say the chrome is wonderful quality compared to aftermarket replacements of the originals so keep those!

You can make a nice bike from that.

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Seems like you are doing a lot.
          Good.

Originally posted by trmcgrade View Post

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm looking forward to returning this guy to its former glory.
          Meaning . ? . ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by trmcgrade View Post
            ................ I recently bought a 1982 GS650GLX ...
            Defintly an L, so GL.

But a GLX would either be an eurpoean model, or an 1981.
            X is the model year desgnation for 1981, but you say is 1982.

Probably doesnt much matter since I dont think there was much of any difference (other than colors) for the 650s in its 3 years (81, 82,83).

Later note: But if eurpoean (canadian?) that would be GSX650GL.
            Last edited by Redman; 09-21-2019, 04:45 PM. Reason: later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X