Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1000G '81 owner

Hello!

I recently purchased a GS1000G, since I live in Norway I haven't been able to ride it anywhere (I did however sit inside my works garage and rev it for a while). It has some use marks, but mostly looks to be in good condition. Tires that look unused (and of recent date), decent paint and somewhat original. The owner told me it smokes white when cold sometimes. Starting it in the garage made me stop worrying about that (it only lasts for a little bit).

It has some unoriginal parts, mirrors, possible suspension (did they originally have øhlin gas suspension?) and the saddle seems to be from a GS850. The exhaust is some aftermarket 4-1 system but the name eludes me at the moment. It has some scratches and a bit of rust (I sort of want to replace it with a 4-2 system). I also noticed one or two screws were wrong.

What I first noticed with this bike was its weight, to get it home I had to push it onto the trailer, and boy is it heavier than the Tracer 700s Im used to. The first time I tried to start it I couldnt get it to run without the choke (apparently it does not like -4c, it runs a lot better in garage temperatures of 13-15c).

Its odometer says its gone 9300, but the previous owner wasn't sure if that was accurate at all. I have no idea, and I don't think it matters all that much.

So what I want to do now is to ride it for a season, and then look into making it look more authentic. Mainly I want to get rid of the dented exhaust, rechrome all parts that should be chrome, change the seals in the engine if there is an actual problematic oil leak, make sure all the screws and bolts are matching and get some sort of luggage rack.

Actually the luggage rack I might want before the season, since I want to take it to Italy and around europe. I live in Harstad so I can easily go to Lofoten and the north of norway for some pretty good trips.

Any advice or suggestions? I've been afraid to ask or post here, it seems very organised.
    Last edited by Noreg; 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM. Reason: a word
    GS1000G 1981

A couple of images of the bike
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Not bad. If you're interested in restoring original parts and paint you'll find a few important experts here.
      It does have a few missing bolt-ons, like the hand grip on the seat and the mirrors.
      Probably gonna find an OEM dual exhaust EZ enough because it's almost the same for all the 850 to 1100 8 valve engines. The headers lose chrome and pick up rust on the back of the bends.
      Yeah they're heavy bikes, but that helps smooth the bumps.
      Welcome.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I would love to have that seat attached grip thing that also allows attaching luggage. I don't want the hard cases, Id much prefer leather soft-bags (one on each side and a duffle on the back, and a tiny tool kit one on the front forks). But so far Ive only found one for like €350 which seemed somewhat steep.

The asthetics is somewhat important to me, I want it to look original where it makes sense, and add my personal touch where it makes sense. Right now I think it needs a good clean, a polish, and then I should make a note of every part that shows signs of neglect. I want to rechrome the chrome parts, but that will be for next winter (now I just want to try it out and see what its good for). Most exhausts Ive seen have, what I consider to be, severe damage. Where should I look for good ones?

Some minor details irk me, like the cockpit cover (tachometer cover?) that has worn black and the letters is worn, as well as some rusty screws and bolts (luckily easy and cheap to fix). I think Ill spend the season making a list of what can be done, and the price and then consider what makes the most sense to take on, while I scout for sensible part bikes (wonder how many my boss lets me store in our garage...).
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Where to find a good OEM exhaust? Keep looking, but it'll probably have to be re-chromed. Put that in the budget.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Very nice find, Noreg.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Probably gonna find an OEM dual exhaust EZ enough because it's almost the same for all the 850 to 1100 8 valve engines.
            The key word here is "almost".
            The 1000 and 1100 engines have the exhaust flange bolts just a little bit farther apart, maybe 6mm or so. If you find an 850 exhaust, it might be possible to enlarge the holes in the flanges enough to fit your 1000 head.

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
            I would love to have that seat attached grip thing that also allows attaching luggage.
            The standard lift handle does virtually nothing to enhance the ability to add luggage. Besides being rather small, it's only on one side.

Id much prefer leather soft-bags (one on each side and a duffle on the back, and a tiny tool kit one on the front forks).
            Please do your bike a favor and DO NOT put anything on the forks. A good portion of the cooling air for your engine comes around and over the tire and fender. Putting anything on the forks will block a lot of that air.

Some minor details irk me, like the cockpit cover (tachometer cover?) that has worn black and the letters is worn, ...
            "Worn letters" is a very common situation. Replacements might be available from Suzuki.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Where to find a good OEM exhaust? Keep looking, but it'll probably have to be re-chromed. Put that in the budget.
            Don't worry too much about re-chroming an OEM exhaust. The only way any plating shop will consider plating a used exhaust system is if it is absolutely the LAST item through the chemical bath before they drain the tank to install a new batch of chemicals. There is no practical way to clean all the carbon from the inside of the system, and it will pollute the chemicals to the point of rendering them useless.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Very nice find, Noreg.
              Thank you, Ive mostly been looking at kawasakis but my friend tiped me about this one and I was like, YES, thats perfect.

The standard lift handle does virtually nothing to enhance the ability to add luggage. Besides being rather small, it's only on one side.
              It does not have to be standard, but I want side saddle-bags and one on the top. In some reasonably looking way. But Im open for suggestions.

Please do your bike a favor and DO NOT put anything on the forks. A good portion of the cooling air for your engine comes around and over the tire and fender. Putting anything on the forks will block a lot of that air.
              Even at right bellow the light? This is why Im here, so I can stop before investing in a terrible idea. I dont know nearly enough about the mechanics of these bikes, but Im eager to learn. And I hope this forum will be a "today me, tomorrow you" sort of thing.

"Worn letters" is a very common situation. Replacements might be available from Suzuki.
              It is, but not cheap. Ill make a list and do some sort of cost-benfit analysis to spend the money where it does the moost good.

Don't worry too much about re-chroming an OEM exhaust. The only way any plating shop will consider plating a used exhaust system is if it is absolutely the LAST item through the chemical bath before they drain the tank to install a new batch of chemicals. There is no practical way to clean all the carbon from the inside of the system, and it will pollute the chemicals to the point of rendering them useless.

I wouldnt mind aftermarket exhaust as long as it looks true to the original design. I think I could find good chroming vendors in norway that can deal with glass-blowing (sorry if that translation is off) the exhaust. But if not, Id just get a nice looking and decent sounding aftermarket. I dont need it to be 100% stock. But I want it to look, excellent, if that makes sense.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
              X