Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650G - Canada

Hey,

Great Forum, already gaining lots of knowledge.

Today I'm the proud owner of a 1981 GS650G. The bike runs but will need some TLC. Ordering a Carb rebuild kit (any suggestions as to who has the best kit?) and apparently the PO says the valve seals need to be changed (a new set came with the bike). I'll be going over the bike in greater detail and creating a list.

Cosmetically, the bike is definitely Purple.

suzuki gs650g.jpg
    1981 GS650G
    1978 Kawasaki KZ400

Welcome to the forum.

The site's search function is a bit flaky, but if you select advanced and search by title only, you'll have better luck searching the archives for the answers you seek. But what you'll find is:

Carb kits: NO. There are carb cleaning tutorials on BikeCliff's Website. Follow those. Buy new o-rings form cycleorings.com. Clean carbs per the instructions. Only replace worn things if necessary. Carb rebuild kits are generally frowned upon.

Valve Seals is a very involved job, as I understand. Removing the head, (also means removing the cylinders, replacing the base gasket) and all its pieces. Replacing the seals, possibly machining the seats, possibly lapping the valves. Others will be along to advise. I haven't done it, yet.

And yes, that is definitely Purple. Not judging. Worked for Prince.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Good chance you won't need rebuild kits for your carbs but good chance you will need an o-ring kit.

A tutorial for a proper rebuild for your CV carbs can be found here.

Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Sick purple! I just got the oring kit from cycle oring and a carb dip bucket off amazon for all the parts. As far as the valve seals Is it excessively smoking or burning oil?

Comment

Originally posted by markitzero View Post
          ................. the valve seals need to be changed .........

Welcome to TheGSR.

When you mentioned the valve seals, were you still talking about the carbs (the float valve seat has an oring), or were you talking about intake and exhaust valve seals? Probably were talking about the intake and exhaust valve seals but thought I would ask.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the welcome wagon and pointing me in the right direction for parts.

Apparently it's burning oil according to the PO and a set of (exhaust) valve seals came with the bike.

Also I was wondering if I should order a set of valve float needles along with the o-ring kit? I was told by a mechanic that you should just change them while you are in there.

The float bowl gaskets are pretty gummy as well. Who would carry the best gasket kit for these. My location is pretty remote and I haven't found a Suzuki parts dealer yet, so I have been doing all my ordering on-line.
            1981 GS650G
            1978 Kawasaki KZ400

Comment

If it's not flooding or stalling or doing anything crazy now and running good you should be ok with just the orings and deep clean. Do a fresh oil change and see how much you burn in between changes. I've gotten my parts from suzukipartshouse.com. I have one small shop in town that stocks quite a bit

Comment

While you're in there obviously inspect all valves and valve seats

Comment

Have a look at Sirius. I would contact them about shipping before ordering. Might be pricey.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Lifttech81 View Post
                    ...carb dip bucket off amazon...
                    Do you have a link for this item?
                    1981 GS650G
                    1978 Kawasaki KZ400

Comment

Berryman Chem-Dip
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Aha. The Grape Ape. I feel like we have seen that 650 before.

Unfortunately, many of the chem-dips are no longer available in Canada. Kleen-Flo had a product that was available through Napa, but I was checking their site a couple of weeks ago, and they don't offer it. Most of the really effective products on the Canadian Amazon site show as not available.

Let me know if you can get someone to ship anything over from Stateside. It gets treated as dangerous goods, and I have found it to be cost-prohibitive. Now, if you live close to the border, you can use a shipper/receiver on the other side, once the border restrictions are eased.
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

personally, -an outlier here- but I do as little as possible. If the bike runs ok, ride it and do your own troubleshooting as it occurs. Learn about the bike with the "maintenance cycle" (battery check, valve check, tires, strange noises..)

It's best to buy a good bike and do simple tests BEFORE YOU BUY IT. I check forums and download manuals before looking at the bike.

I have never dipped a carb and never changed an o-ring that didn't show up as "poor" on a teardown . That said, carbs and charging system are very common problems but carbs aren't always bad-unless the bike has been sitting or the tank is rusty etc.etc etc. all things to know before buying.

The 650 may use some oil anyways. if it's not extreme or obviously smoking, ride the bike while you do regular maintainence and gather the correct tools so you can dig in to the main issues in fall,winter,spring...Winter can be hard without a heated space.. I've got lots of tools at yard sales-compression gauges abound, metric wrenches abound. All those Canadian Tire junkies selling off their hoard before dying.... too bad about covid!

Retail, Get some JIS screw drivers and an impact driver soon. and an inch/lb torque wrench and nitrile gloves..the thin disposables are the most useful overall but some proper lasting gloves are -well-ok but they are variable as to longevity I find...
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-22-2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks the tips Gorminrider, I have a set of vessel JIS screw drivers and an in/lb torque wrench, I purchased these when was getting my Kawasaki KZ400 running.

I actually downloaded the manuals, and spoke to a few GS owners I know prior to buying.
                            1981 GS650G
                            1978 Kawasaki KZ400

Comment

So what are Canadians using for carb dip?

Jim (sad owner of a GS650G with a plugged up #3 carb)
                              1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                              1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Working...
                              X