New here, Gs850 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, Gs850 owner

Hello from Columbus, Ohio. New to my gs850 not new to motorcycles. Picked this bike up a few months ago and just started getting into it the last couple weeks. It was neglected in a shed but was so cheap I couldn’t pass it up. Since getting it I’ve rewired the bike, installed new fork seals, steering neck bearings, cleaned up the top triple tree and installed clip ons, new head light and seat installed. Still need to rebuild the carbs and fab a seat hoop for the frame, amongst other small things to tie up. My daily rider is a 81 GL1100 that’s a blast to ride and I’m also building a 85 low rider chopper. My taste is all over the place but I wanted something long and low, the gs850 was the perfect candidate. Anyways I’m excited to explore the forum more and soak in some gs knowledge.

0.jpg

here’s one more as it sits today
    2.jpg

Comment

Who stole the rear?

Welcome to the site.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Who stole the rear?

Welcome to the site.
        You know, I hope I don’t regret the solo seat, but my stock seat was trashed and I wanted something slimmer and a little more sporty. My old lady came into the garage after I swapped seats and said “I guess I won’t be riding on this one” Told her nope that’s what the goldwing is for haha

Comment

Yep, he said old neglected bike from a shed, rear must have been missing when he got it. Doing good so far, looks like pretty big job to get the rear back in shape. Keep us posted on the progress. Yep, like he said, Welcome
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Seems like you are proceedeing well.
            But, Any tech questions, ask away in particaular section.

Looks like a 79 (VM carbs, solid disc, kickstart). Could maybe be 78 but were not many (none?) in US.

Looks to be nice, but not what I would want to ride very far.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If looking in parts catalog
              that is a GS850G (although the side panel just says GS850).
              Last edited by Redman; 02-14-2022, 04:24 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Seems like you are proceedeing well.
                  But, Any tech questions, ask away in particaular section.

Looks like a 79 (VM carbs, solid disc, kickstart). Could maybe be 78 but were not many (none?) in US.

Looks to be nice, but not what I would want to ride very far.

Good eye, it is a 79. Any common weak points on this bike I should be looking out for?

Comment

Originally posted by MapleK View Post
                    Good eye, it is a 79. Any common weak points on this bike I should be looking out for?
                    Low-power 12-pole alternator (replaceable with a 1980-on 18-pole rotor and stator).
                    The charging system in general needs an upgrade with more modern reg-rec, too.
                    Crap early brakes, same as above - fit 1980-on calipers on front, or go better and use much later Kwack calipers with a SaltyMonk conversion bracket.
                    The rear drive flange in 79 should be a black one, which are very long-lasting, but it might not be by this time. Avoid the gold-coloured spline drives, use either black or silver (these flanges are still in use by Suzuki on a couple of boulevard cruisers).
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

79, weak points.... what others have mentioned.... and other weak POINTS?
                      79 original would have ignition points. Maybe/probably already replaced with electronic pickups. I dont have any direct expereice to recommend any specific brand.

79 original would be a sealed beam headlight. A nice upgrade would be a halogen or something more modern, LED even. (again, no expereince there to recommend anything specific).

Note: was a lot of changes from 79 to 80 (other brands too, not just Suzuki).

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Low-power 12-pole alternator (replaceable with a 1980-on 18-pole rotor and stator).
                        The charging system in general needs an upgrade with more modern reg-rec, too.
                        Crap early brakes, same as above - fit 1980-on calipers on front, or go better and use much later Kwack calipers with a SaltyMonk conversion bracket.
                        The rear drive flange in 79 should be a black one, which are very long-lasting, but it might not be by this time. Avoid the gold-coloured spline drives, use either black or silver (these flanges are still in use by Suzuki on a couple of boulevard cruisers).
                        Appreciate the info, I actually put a volt meter on the battery last night and it isn’t charging. Stator on these bikes seem easy enough though. My goldwing you have to pull the motor to get to it which is not ideal haha. So the 80 and up stators bolt right up and have the same plugs essentially? Im definitely going to look into that.

Comment

. . . . .
                          .. . So the 80 and up stators bolt right up and have the same plugs essentially? Im definitely going to look into that.
                          No !
                          The 80 and after 18pole stator may bolt into place (in a 79 having 12 pole), but it will not work because the rotor on the 79 crank has 12 magnets spaced to match 12 pole stator.
                          (reread what was said in prior post).

..... I actually put a volt meter on the battery last night and it isn’t charging. . . . .
                          Did you rev it up? THe stator&R/R system doesnt charge at all at idle. Check at 4 - 5k rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            No !
                            The 80 and after 18pole stator may bolt into place (in a 79 having 12 pole), but it will not work because the rotor on the 79 crank has 12 magnets spaced to match 12 pole stator.
                            (reread what was said in prior post).

Did you rev it up? THe stator&R/R system doesnt charge at all at idle. Check at 4 - 5k rpm.
                            Ah ok now I see what you’re saying about the stator and rotor. I’ll check the stator again today and try and rev it up. More updates to come, really trying to get this bike buttoned up before riding season here.

Comment

Didn’t make much progress this week but I did manage to get my bike over to my work where I’ll be doing some metal fab on the rear seat loop and hopefully getting my 4-1 supertrapp installed also. I got some nice stainless hardware for my headlight mount and you can see how I “modified” the top triple tree to be riserless. Pretty clean look imo

0.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X