tribute to dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tribute to dad

Hey, okok, so I'm new at all of this... SO here's the story... My name is mike and im 20 yrs old... My father and I had been looking at buying a suzuki gs750l that an older gentleman was selling because he didn't ride anymore. It has been sitting in a garage for over 10yrs. It will minimally need tires and a gasket in the carburator. My dad had started to pay on it, but then suddenly died about christmas time... It look me a while to look into whether or not the bike was still around, but now I'm paying the rest off and am unsure where to begin with it once it is paid for... my problems are....
    1. I am not licensed to ride a bike
    2. I don't have any experience riding
    3. I don't know what will need fixed
    4. my dad was the person i would have learned everything from
    so what should I do to learn to ride, and to fix my bike...

Sorry to hear about your Dad

If you decide to learn to ride, you really should take a MSF course, they will teach you the do's and don'ts of riding.

As far as working on and fixing any problems with the bike, the tech guru's on this site can help you fix anything

And welcome to the GSR

Just found this link for the safety course,

Comment

Sorry about your Dad, Sounds like he was a Cool Guy. As for the Bike, you have found the place for Encouragement and Tech help and Know how on these old bikes we all Love. I agree that a a novice rider you should take a training and safety course. I also think a Smaller bike might be easier to learn on. In any event do it because YOU want to. Good Luck! 8)
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Welcome! So sorry about your Dad. I can relate. Lost Mom & Dad 3 months apart a couple of years back. I keep and maintain their cars as sort of a tribute/keepsake from them. You'll get a lot of pleasure knowing that the bike is what Dad wanted and was in the process of buying, if you choose to go through with the purchase.

I hope you succeed; I think it would be pretty neat.

Oh, and those 750's are really pretty powerful machines...very fast, so you be careful!

Comment

thanx, I know i need to take the course, but truthfully I have no experience, and i didn't/don't know how much one needs to be able to do before signing up... maybe i can find someone to show me the ropes

Comment

Also sorry about your Dad. Intersting that you will have this connection to him, but may also be a constant reminder of his absence, but just consider it a tribute.

About MSF course: They are intended for beginers with no experience. Class I took had a few with little to no experience. Around here they are full by now. Dont let just anybody teach you how to ride.

Other:
            - I would suggest that you get a Clymers manaul, and a multi meter (or digital meter).
            - Been sitting, will need some work. Clean carbs, new tires, new battery, new brake fluid - just for a start. May have other problems show up after a while. But these ol' GS are reliable, works fine - last a long time.
            - Post any probelm on the 'techincal' for specific help.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

My sympathy on the loss of your Dad.

Just take it slow, gtet a manual, and ask questions here, and you should be able to get it going again.

Comment

cool, thanx for all the support, I won't be disappearing anytime soon! P.S. the bike is a 79' for anyone who is curious

Comment

So sorry about your dad. 3 yrs later and I still miss mine terribly.
                  If you stick with this. Once you get experience and start riding, you will understand the pleasure. Your dad will surely be with you.

Follow the advice above. Also, no matter what questions you have, they will be answered. Just give them time.

Also, not sure how close (in PA) you are to Hoomgar, but man - He is genuine and I'm sure he would help you anyway he can.

Good Luck and pics when available.

Welcome to the GSR too. 8)

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X