A Father's Day Ride and Reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Father's Day Ride and Reflection

Woke up this morning and as has become my Sunday Routine, got a cup of Coffee and turned on the Compaq to check my E-Mail and the latest GSR postings. The first thread I opened was Happy Father's Day posted by KGB (I think) The message was Happy Fathers Day, Take a Ride and Visit your Dad. I checked the other new posts, made a few of my own. Opened my E-Mail and had a Hallmark E-Card from my Son in Florida. By then it was time to get a Shower and head to Church.

Church was OK, in our Congregation it has become a Custom that the Men Sing for the Women on Mother's day and the Women Sing for the Men on Father's day. They did a Beautiful Rendition of " O Beautiful For Spacious Skies" A young Lady was Baptized and The Preacher gave a Good Sermon regarding how Father's do their best for their Kids even when it's Hard. We went to Lunch with Chuck and Linda (The Preacher and his Wife) which was nice. He just bought his first Bike (Harley, but I'll overlook that until we know each other a little better :twisted and he is excited about it, so we talked Motorcycles among other things at Lunch.

But a seed had been planted when I read that first Post this morning. I hadn't been to Dad's Grave in a while, so when we got home the Wife layed down for a Sunday Afternoon nap and I told her I thought I would take a ride. The Weather here this weekend has been just about Perfect for Any outdoor activity so I Donned my New GSR Tee Shirt (as well as Jeans and a Helmet) and headed to town. My Dad is on the Front Row of the City Cemetery here in a Row of Plots that my Mother'd father purchased about 80 years ago. He was something of a Character himself and he said he wanted to be in the Front so he could see what was going on!

I got to the Cemetary, parked the GS and took the short walk to the Grave. I couldn't help but think Dad would have gotten a kick out of that, One of his Boys riding up on a Motorcycle! You see, he had a young spirit about him, Possibly from being Sickly as a child and missing out on a lot of stuff. When I started driving, my first car was a 70 Challenger with a 383 Magnum motor. It was Loud, Fast, and the A/C didn't work, so when I had a date I would Borrow Dad's LTD. I didn't know it until my Mom told me later But Dad would find some excuse to take the Challenger somewhere, The Grocery, Dairy Queen or whatever. She said "It's embarassing, he Revs the engine at Stop Lights and even Did a Burnout!"

As I rode away from the Cemetary I headed out East of town and Thought "this ride's for you Dad" and proceeded to take a few curves slightly above the posted speed limit, waved at every Biker I saw and they All waved back! That's the kind of thing I think Dad would have done except No Burnouts

Happy Father's Day Everyone!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

GREAT STORY!!!!

I'm very lucky in that both my parents are still alive.
    Dad's had his share of set backs in the last 2 years. He's broken both hips!
    Broke one putting his weights away after his works out. He slipped and when the weight fell it knocked him on his butt.
    That was ayear of rehab and 22 screws holding his pelvic bone together.
    The 2/nd time his blood sugar was VERY low and he started to pass
    out so he sat down and cracked the other side, actually the pubic bone.
    More rehab, still ongoing.
    He'll be 80 this August,Mom turned 77 in April.

Anyway we al lheaded to their house. It's about 30 minutes away.
    2 of the kids ahd to work, so I said take my car, I'll take the bike down.
    My wife looked at me, I said get your gear, lets go.

We took the bike and the long way down, the kids took the highway and the car. I had bought a no sugar strawberry rhubarb pie and a
    blueberry/raspberry pie to take down.
    Turned into a nice day, my brothr had flown in, mixing business and pleasure and my sister drove up.

We sat around had coffee and pie, talked, laughed and got some good pictures of the family.
    Nice day, relaxing and calm.

As to the Chalelnger, my brother in law just finished the resto on his 70 Challenger, 440+6, hemi orange black vinyl top and black interior.
    yes he does burnouts

Glad you had a good day, as I did also
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Marvin, thanks. I read a couple posts this morning about people calling or going to see their dad. I got pretty choked up and had to leave.

Great story. I last visited my Dad's grave on Memorial day. I would have loved to again today, but couldn't.

Thanks.

Dad is always with me. I love him more than anyone could know. Happy Fathers Day Dad.

8)

Comment

Just awesome Marvin!

My dad is gone too, but my children had a great time with their dad!

On Saturday:
        I took my son on a motorcycle adventure on the back roads around
        here and then we stopped for diner at a Twin Kiss for burgers and ice
        cream. Got home late and then spent the evening with the family
        playing games and then watching a movie.

On Father's day:
        We went for a really long hike on some of my oldest stomping grounds.
        This is an area with old cabins from the turn of the century that are in ruins
        and old steam engine passenger cars all off in the hills. Didn't get to see
        them all due to the over growth but I'll get them in there later this fall or
        early spring. This area is where my mom took us as kids for hikes with
        her and sometimes the family dogs. It's all right beside the river and we
        had a memorable day.

We even ran into my sister on the trail! We had
        been using my daughter?s binoculars and a cheap pair I had been given
        by my sister back when we were kids when dad gave her his pair. I was
        telling them about how nice the pair was she had from my dad and low
        and behold we run into her and she has them with her! What were
        the chances of that? Pretty slim when you consider it has been 3
        years since we last saw her.

Thx for sharing your story Marvin It compelled me to share too.

Comment

Nice Story as well Hoom. There are a couple of schools of thought regarding Coincidence (ie The Binocular thing) and they are: Everything is Coincidental or Nothing is Coincidental. I personally think both could be correct depending on one's perspective. Throw Free Will into the Mix along with a healthy dose of Murphy's Law and that's Life. You never know what's going to happen next but it sure can be interesting. 8)

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I read this thread a while ago...but it took me a bit to decide to post.

My dad passed away on June 11th, after a robust 3-1/2 yr battle with liver cancer. A retired surgeon, he knew all too well his ultimate destiny.
              But he was an irascible old curmudgeon; I played my (last) 9 holes of golf with him 3 weeks prior; three days before he died, he was sipping coffee, having a smoke (bare-a$$ Lucky Strikes!), and reading the paper.

He was more than a great dad, he was my best friend, and the best teacher I ever had.
              I miss him hugely...feels like a piece of my soul is missing.

I live 120 miles away, but my sisters live near his home. On Father's Day, we had a great family brunch at my sister's place. We are actually all quite relieved at his passing (no more suffering), but the fond stories and empty seat had us all cryin' like babies.

His last weeks were very tough. I spent most of the last month down there, helping with his care, then cleaning out the house and garage (he was an epic pack-rat). That stuff really wipes you out once you step away. I came home for a few days, and my good pal Carter T. let me borrow his GS1150ES for a spin (my bikes are ALL hurt ).
              I had a good ride, it felt really good to be On Two Wheels...but I returned strangely unsatisfied...just couldn't 'release' and have fun.

Soooo many things I still wanted to do with him...but age and responsibilities dilute the urgency, then POOF.
              I have vowed to stop procrastinating and putting things off (especially concerning relationships with friends and family), because time just passes too quickly.

I never did get to take him out for a ride.
              I cannot wait to get the Big-Block 1166 finished and broken-in.
              Then I'm gonna stuff his dust into the tank bag and take him out for a session or two...North Cascades...Mt. St Helens... :twisted:
              I'm pretty sure he would enjoy that.

For all of you who still have dad around, I urge you to spend as much time with him as you possibly can.

Apologies for the long ramble :-({|= . Thanks for reading it.

Cheers,
              Ted

Comment

Gread Advice concerning Relationships and Time Flying By. Lost Dad in 1986 and sometimes it seems like Only Yesterday. We should Never put off anything that will add to the Quality of Our, or Someone elses life because we only get to do this once and there Ain'T any Guarantees.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thx for sharing Ted. Sorry for your loss.

Marvin, my dad passed in 1986 as well.
                  I have spent the last decade of my life
                  making sure my children will not have the
                  same regrets. They are going to be at peace
                  when I pass.

I never got to know my dad. My kids know me!

Comment

Good Man Hoom! (Not that I ever doubted it) I was Lucky that way, Dad coached our Baseball teams and took us Fishing when he could. Those are the Memories Me and My Brother share of him and they couldn't be bought with Money. Time is the Best thing you could possibly invest in your Kids, to quote someone here on the GSR, You Rock Dood!

Where I've been Riding

Comment

You should have added tear jerker to the title as now I just can't stop.

Comment

Working...
                      X