Dumped my GS650 last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumped my GS650 last week

New rider. Checked this site for stories of dropping the bike, and everyone said watch out at red lights and parking in your garage. Well the other night I pulled the bike into the garage next to a pile of scrap wood (we're moving into a new place). My wife was standing to the side watching me park. (Meanwhile, across the street, my neighbors had a big group playing touch football in the front yard.)

I turned the bike off--but forgot to put the kickstand down. The bick fell over to the left and pinned my leg hard into this pile of scrap wood. I yelped since my knee was smashed and my leg was burning against the still hot pipe. My tiny wife ran over to help. But more important than my safety at the moment was my dignity.

"Shut the garage door!!! Quick--now!" Only after I was safe from embarassing eyes did my wife and I extract my mashed leg from under the undamaged bike. To those who don't know--and your probably all do know---it is not easy to return a bike to its upright position!

Anyway newbies--be careful when you stop!

I haven't pulled the old invisible kickstand stunt yet but I probably will one day. I nearly dumped mine in the Garage last week trying to pull a piece of tape I had somehow snagged on my highway peg without dismounting the bike. When the Center of Gravity shifted to the Right it was All I could do to keep it upright, it Was in Neutral and running at the time. My Wife heard the Revving as I was trying to keep it upright and She just thought I was Showing Off.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I haven't tried to get my bike to balance bipedally, yet, but I have stopped before and thought I could let go of the clutch lever to do something else while I'm runnig and in 1st!

Comment

Me Too! Luckily it has always stalled out.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
        X