Took my first ever passenger for a ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my first ever passenger for a ride

Last weekend I bought a spiffy new HJC helmet for 80.00 at a local shop. It's end of the season clearance- it had been 199.00. Well, that set me up with two functional helmets and the girl I have been dating seemed pretty eager to take a ride with me when I showed her the ol 850 .

I figured after 3 years of riding her (the GS..) it was time to introduce somebody else into the relationship. After decking Sam out in my leather jacket, jeans boots gloves and brand new helmet- (a gentleman doesnt make his lady wear his fragrant 3 year sweat soaked helmet, does he?) I was ready to instruct her on riding pillion. Aside from some minimal helmet bumping, she was the ideal passenger.

There really is something to be said about having a woman you care for, with her arms wrapped around your waist as you cruise alongside the river taking in the autumn colors. The bike felt A LOT different, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Riding had been such a private personal experience for me up to that point, it was sweet to share it with someone else

Just thought I'd share,
    Thanks for reading

Chris

Very 8) 8) 8)
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I just got another helmet friday and still cant get anybody to ride with me.At least I'll get better gas milage!!!

Comment

I did a bit of pillion carrying in my younger days but only on smaller machines, recently my step daughter has taken an interest in bikes as her boyfriends has a little learner yamaha. As his provisional licence and small bike are not allowed to carry pillions I've been riding out with him and taking stepdaughter on the back. The 550 copes very well with passengers, luckily i have dial a ride Koni's on the back so just wind them round a notch.

The only downside is braking, I've got the twin discs on the late 550e but they do notice the extra weight. Id like some more modern calipers to bolt on but dont really want to spoil the looks with nasty adapter plates, so guess I will live with it.

Comment

I have had a few passengers with me on rides. Nothing far just around town. Some do well...some do really bad. I had a girl almost knock my bike down cause she was moving around so much. I could have kicked her butt!

Comment

Re: Took my first ever passenger for a ride

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
            There really is something to be said about having a woman you care for, with her arms wrapped around your waist as you cruise alongside the river taking in the autumn colors. The bike felt A LOT different, but nothing I couldn't handle.
            Ahh... Yes, I share the same sentiment. However, the Arkansas river just doesent hold a candle to the Delaware. My fiancee' and I are originally from Jersey (moved separately, met in AR), and I want so bad to truck a bike up there, and take her (my fiancee') up State Highway 32 from Morrisville to Easton. If you get the chance, try it sometime; its a great ride in a cage (my dad says its fantastic on a bike).

I dont suppose you live near Jefferson? My fiancee's cousin lives there.

Comment

Very nice.

Always good to introduce another person to riding.

Comment

Re: Took my first ever passenger for a ride

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
                ...There really is something to be said about having a woman you care for, with her arms wrapped around your waist as you cruise alongside the river taking in the autumn colors...
                Ahhhh, I remember those days! Unfortunately, as the years have gone by, my wife's arms have gotten shorter and shorter until she can no longer wrap them around me.

Such an odd condition. :?

Comment

My wife is a great passenger!
                  Loves the corners, hates highways

The last long ride we did was a few weeks ago, 265 miles on a Sunday.
                  We rode across rte 119 thru norther Ma into New hampshire.
                  we got to Brattleboro and across rte 9 to rte 100.
                  We stopped at Hogback mountain for the 100 mile views.
                  Supposedly you can see 4 states from here, NH,Vermont,New York and Mass.

More pics here http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...05.msnw?Page=1
                  We rode up rte 100 and found agreat little BBQ place from Memphis.
                  One of the best pulled pork sandwiches I've ever had.
                  headed back down 100 to 9 to Brattleboro and then north on rte 5 to Bellows Falls and across rte 124. Then 119 home.
                  Great day, beautiful weather and just Sharon and I.
                  We took the GS1100E, it's a "softer" ride than the 1000S.

It's too bad that all the rains from last month has washed away some of these really nice roads.

Sharon keeps a diary of roads we've ridden. Not just route numbers, but pavement conditions, cops , and restaurants.

She wears full gear, full face helmet, moto port jacket and gloves.
                  No cordura pants..yet and motorcycle boots.
                  that's her getting on the back in my avatar.

Ask any of the New england guys how we ride.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I dont suppose you live near Jefferson? My fiancee's cousin lives there.
                    I don't know where Jefferson is, but I have ridden up along the Delaware Water Gap on a group ride. Absolutely gorgeous. We ended up in the state park, on camp roads posted at 15mph, but we were doing a touch faster than that

Comment

Jefferson is around 10th and Walnut. www.tju.edu Pretty good from what I hear.

I bet its gorgeous. Just watch out in the spring when they do seal-coating. My dad says you can drop a bike in the blink of an eye.

Comment

HA! I work at Jefferson. I thought you meant a town.....

Gotta drag my butt in there right now as a matter of fact

Comment

Heh... Its a small world... I like Phily, but the season up there is so short, I dont know if I could live there...
                          Now if youll excuse me, Ive got to take the ol' Suzi to school.

Comment

Working...
                          X