R/R Failure story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Failure story

Ok...I am sure some of ya'all can relate to this one. This was about 8 months after we bought the 550ES for my wife and I had spent some time getting the "Little Mule" in shape for her to ride ( or so I thought). New seals, carb tune,tires, etc. Since we had purchased an older bike for her to "dent up and not feel as bad about" ( her words), I wanted it to run as well as possible and be reliable for her.

ANYWAY....The final thing I wanted to do was a "long" shake down ride. She was still just learning and had only had her license for a short time and was still prone to "emotional" moments when her skills weren't sharpening fast enough. She was not really interested in that many miles in a row just yet, especially if something was to fail.

SO, I asked my brother to ride the bike from Southern Illinois where we lived to Park Forest to my oldest brother's home ( about 250 miles ). I figured if anything was to break or give, it would do it in that distance AND we could get a clear idea of the range of the bike.

So we take off...happily finding that it was getting nearly 170 miles or so to a tank full and running along at 75-80 MPH with no problem. Keep in mind this is loaded with a 200 lbs guy aboard. We made a couple of stops, gas and smokes, etc. But basically we ran the whole distance at a pretty brisk pace, remember it was a shakedown ride and I wanted to push it a little.

ANYWAY..I was feeling pretty good about our purchase and that the bike was doing so well. Then, 10 miles from Park Forest my brother signals that he HAS to stop and relieve himself or it is gonna get messy....so we stop. He runs behind a tree...comes back several minutes later....the little mule is now dead as a doornail.

I leave my brother with the bike and head to my other brother's home. Being from the suburbs... of course no truck or trailer. It ends up taking us another hour to get the bike the last 10 miles thanks to the kindness of some passing 4 wheeler riders with a little space left on their trailer.

This was my introduction into the wonderful world of GS electrics and
    And my initial intro to the the GS Resources and the quest for an upgrade to the Suzuki R/R.
    I now run the Electro Sport model....BTW.
    See you at the track.
    gsracer

so was it a stator thing or what?I am glad you made it there eventually, and hope the bike is dependable now.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Turns out there were bad/dirty connectors in the wiring going to/from the R/R. That has since been fixed. The GS is now my CCS Road Racing bike and is a lot of fun. Working on another one for my wife...400 Maxim Twin, got it for free!! Another project...

See you at the track...
      gsracer

Comment

Working...
      X