One act of kindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One act of kindness

This is a thank you to a member of this site. A few years ago I felt an incredible desire to rescue my 1985 GS700ES from its slowdeath in a forgotten storage shed. As I tried to get it going, the tank was completely rusted through and beyond repair. A member from this site sold me a tank for a mere twenty dollars. Since then, let me tell you what has happened.

I group of my students at school took this tank and the motorcycle and spent an entire semester painting my bike in gunmetal gray. They were extremely proud of their work and felt really good about themselves.

I decided to become a legitimate rider and get my license (after 20 years and thousands of miles of riding).

The revitalized GS700ES has been the starting bike for three new riders who were not sure they wanted to become active in the sport.

Since then I have purchased a Volusia for my mellow days and a Hayabusa when I feel the need for a bit of wind in my face. Strangely enough though, my GS700ES still makes me smile the most when I crawl on and chew up some backroads.

Once again, I owe all of this to the kind individual who sold me a tank on here a few years ago. I could not have predicted the chain reaction that would occur, but I could not be happier! Thanks again....

see GS'ers are good people. And GS's are great bikes.

Comment

Got pic's ??

Comment

Great Story and Welcome to the GSR! We hear that Story a lot here about folks who own Newer bikes but still hang on to their Old GS because of the Smiles per Mile Factor!
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Nice story. Welcome to the GSR. Take a look at the map, it's interesting. http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/gsers Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I was thinking of selling my GS recently too and got as far as advertising(basically to fund the rebuild of my Yam)
            but when a guy came to look i realised i really didnt want to, and took it off the market. Good job the guy didnt want it :-)

Comment

Nice story, welcome to the forum.

Comment

When I bought my 700 new I had a hard time deciding whether to get the 700 or an 1150. I knew the 1150 would outrun just about anything in a straight line, but there was just something about the 700 that felt right. I've given parts to people before and once had a regular here in bad need of a valve cover. I had picked up a really cherry one off of Ebay that I didn't really need so I let him have it for what I paid. Seeing other people happy from a random act of kindness is a great feeling.

Comment

I loved your reply Billy. At the risk of repeating my original story.. the chain reaction of events has been incredible.

However, I am now facing a huge dilemma! A first time rider would love to borrow my bike this spring for a few months to see if she really wants to pursue motorcycling. She used to ride dirt bikes as a kid, but has never been on a road bike. My 'busa scares the hell out of her and the width and mass of my Volusia also intimidates her. I think I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best and pass my GS700ES to her as soon as she completes her motorcycle course this spring. I hope I won't be parting it out on Ebay...

Comment

man its a GS, whats do new riders usually do, drop it at standstill or loose balance at low speed, if this happens, pick it up kick it straight and ride on :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lovemybusa
                      I loved your reply Billy. At the risk of repeating my original story.. the chain reaction of events has been incredible.

However, I am now facing a huge dilemma! A first time rider would love to borrow my bike this spring for a few months to see if she really wants to pursue motorcycling. She used to ride dirt bikes as a kid, but has never been on a road bike. My 'busa scares the hell out of her and the width and mass of my Volusia also intimidates her. I think I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best and pass my GS700ES to her as soon as she completes her motorcycle course this spring. I hope I won't be parting it out on Ebay...
                      I'd be reluctant to put a first time street rider on the 700. They are plenty quick and will get a novice in trouble in a hurry. She'd be better off on something smaller. Something under 500cc would be best.

Comment

It makes no odds what you start in in my book, as long as you treat it with the respect it deserves.

Comment

Billy, youre going to have to quit being so reasonable. :-) I agree with you AGAIN. eh eh I think a 700 is too big and heavy for a beginning rider to feel comfortable with. In this case, its already been said the young lady is intimidated by size and power. Something that doesnt make her uncomfortable will in the long run allow her to become a better rider. It sounds like a 450 twin would be about max and maybe even a 250cc.
                          She isnt going to learn well, if she isnt comfortable with the bike.

Earl

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                          I'd be reluctant to put a first time street rider on the 700. They are plenty quick and will get a novice in trouble in a hurry. She'd be better off on something smaller. Something under 500cc would be best.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I owe my allegence to the GS to another member as well. I thought my bike was near certain death with 30k miles. When I saw another member with the same bike that had over 250k miles on it, I knew I had to appreciate what I had.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                            X