A Very Near (DEER) Miss!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Very Near (DEER) Miss!!!

I can't remember the last time that it was 65* and Sunny on January 28 here in the Heartland but it Was Today! I hadn't Ridden in a couple of weeks and I Really needed to try out My New Joe Rocket Textile Jacket I got last Week from newenough.com. After finishing some Shopping and Honey Do's I geared up and took off about Noon Today. It was Sunny with a brisk Gusting Wind out of the South. I headed South into Tennessee (and into the Wind) on Lightly Traveled Two Lane Roads and was marveling at how much better the 850 was running after I put on a new Battery about a Month ago.
    I came to a Stop sign and turned East on a Straight EAST-WEST road that was totally deserted except for Me. I got up to about 70 and was really enjoying the ride with My feet on the Highway Pegs. The Wind required a slight counterlean to the Right but was not Bad. I was Thinking How nice it was to be Riding in Late January and How glad I was that Last March I put in an Impulse bid on Ebay for a 1980 GS850G that I thought was going too Cheap which I won and Had to make a 1000 Mile Round Trip Pulling a Uhaul to bring Home.
    While I was doing all this thinking I was scanning the road ahead for potential Hazards when I saw It! Out of the corner of My Left Eye I saw movement in the Field. Something was Headed South in a Big Hurry! I first thought "A pack of Dogs"? Very quickly I realized Dogs H#ll, those are DEER!@! Six count em, 6 Deer headed for a point in the road that I was Fast Approaching! With No time to think, I figured either I was going to hit One or Be hit by One. I thought "This will Hurt less If I can Lose some Speed" so I grabbed a Hand and Foot Full of Brake. Four of them passed Right in front of Me just as the Rear tire locked up and the Resulting Screech caused the other Two to Stop and Run Parallel to the Road. I got back on the Gas and passed them By with My Heart Pounding like a Bass Drum. After having a few Hours to Reflect on this Incident all I can Add is Stay Alert and Be Careful out there Folks!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Man, that must have been scary! :shock:
    I can relate. I live next to a huge park (shelby farms). See deer almost every morning on My ride in to work. They watch Me, I watch them. lol
    The problem is, these deer are not affraid of people or cars because they are around 'em all the time. I know I'm going to hit one sooner or later.

Comment

Wow Scott:shock: Glad you are okay!

Comment

Yeah, It worked out OK. I had a Nice Ride AND got a Cardio Workout at the Same Time!!!

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
          Yeah, It worked out OK. I had a Nice Ride AND got a Cardio Workout at the Same Time!!!
          Did you check out the Cat's game today? I thought Arkansas was going to beat us there for a little while but we finally pulled it together in the second half!\\/

Comment

Maybe Tubby Has finally Got their Attention. It's about time. Our Racers are in First Place in the OVC as Well.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
              Maybe Tubby Has finally Got their Attention. It's about time. Our Racers are in First Place in the OVC as Well.
              Congrats! I haven't kept up with the OVC since moving to MO....I don't know what place EKU is in....do you know if Travis Ford still coaches them? Went to alot of EKU games when I was a student there.....love college basketball!

Comment

Working...
              X