It's embarassing when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's embarassing when...

Your girlfriend has to come get you when you're broke down. The bike had sat for a week as I was out of town for a few days. Beautiful day-55 degrees calm and sunny. I came home,said hello to the animals,kissed the girlfriend and said "I'm going for a ride." I opened the choke,put her on prime,checked the oil and tires(visually,I only gauge 'em once a month),checked for leaks,put on helmet and gloves and hit the start button. I could tell the battery was a little low but it managed to crank pretty good. After two tries (kinda unusual-she fires up quickly) she catches. I adjust the choke down and give her thirty seconds to warm up as I back out of the garage and turn around. Head down the street as I push the choke in. She's not running "right" like she's not warmed up. My fuel gauge reads a little low so showing me to be almost empty makes me think I'm OK. Six blocks from the house I pull into a gas station(Maybe I'll take a medium-long ride) she stalls as I stop at the pump. I fill her up- about $5 -stupid L tank,and try to start her. She won't catch. I try and think what it could be(with the headlight on) and then try again. She still won't fire. D'OH!!! I never hit the reserve and I drained the carbs too far. Switch the petcock to pri,count to fifteen and try again. Cranking slower now(headlight still on) no go. I started wondering if it might be something else.I duck walked the bike away from the pumps(face red) pull a couple plugs-tan and DRY. I call my girlfriend to bring the pickup and her battery cables. By the time she got there the prime setting on the petcock had done it's job,with the truck off and the cables hooked up she fired right up. She said she laughed al the way home.(I decided I didn't want to go for a ride after all). Now that I sat here and wrote this I feel better-River road here I come!

Think maybe you got that last part wrong....

Originally posted by omaharj
    (I decided I didn't want to go for a ride after all)
    Seems like an extra long ride would have been in order. You know, charge the battery up or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah TK-I went out after my post on a 25-30 mile circle down the river road and back. I needed to vent my stupidity in my post then I went out with a clear head. My battery and I are fully recharged.

Comment

The stupid jump start thing.....

Had to have my wife do that for me one night leaving my son's place. Tried to push start it, couldn't get going fast enough, so she had to do the jump start on the side of a two lane no shoulder road in the gathering dusk. Not good!

Comment

Repeat this to yourself! "BATTERY TENDER, BATTERY TENDER, BATTERY TENDER, BATTERY TENDER....."

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
            Repeat this to yourself! "BATTERY TENDER, BATTERY TENDER, BATTERY TENDER, BATTERY TENDER....."

Brad tt
            You obviously didn't read my sig at the bottom!:-D

Comment

Okay, "Battery Charger, Battery Charger, Battery Charger, Battery Charger,....."

Brad tt

Comment

Drive 3 times a week, leave the car, and take your bike for commuting to your job, there are pretty good winter gear and you will not be cold, if so try driving faster, so fast that you get scare, beleve me....no cold.
                Now been serious, drive 2 or 3 times a week, she is like your girlfriend, then the chance she will let you down will be slim....

Comment

Only 3 times a week? You trying to hurt her feelings? I had to buy my GK some new "bling" (LED's) to make up for some nasty comments I made a few weeks ago about her. Here in NE Texas we only have what we believe to be winter for about 2 weeks a year (state law).8-)

Comment

Okay- a few follow-ups. I cleaned out the cobwebs from my wallet and I see I can afford a battery tender. Who's got the best deal including shipping? Or should I go with an off brand (Harbor Freight,JC Whitney et al?) Also, The thread "cold weather riding record..." had me pushing my personal limits to the 30*F mark. With 25-30 MPH winds I'm mostly OK except for my hands-they FREEEEEZZZZEE!!! I like it warmer. That's life in Nebraska-I can't afford frostbite. But I have been riding semi-regularly, that I was down in sunny KC for a few days caused the gap. (BTW the AGV Navigator jacket is the sh@@, in the cold)

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet
                      Only 3 times a week? You trying to hurt her feelings? I had to buy my GK some new "bling" (LED's) to make up for some nasty comments I made a few weeks ago about her. Here in NE Texas we only have what we believe to be winter for about 2 weeks a year (state law).8-)

Well, the winter as you call in texas is here arround 3 months(our summer)...the rest of the year is devided in 3 months of cold at 60 mph and the rest is like wet freezing and try to get the very small thing out of your pants when you got to go for a leak at the petrol station.
                      In other words I envy the weather you've got there.... it's still freezing ant nigth here.......

Comment

I use this ...

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=TUC_21-2102

Don't know if the price is good. I just walked in the store and the salesman recommended this one. It was on sale at the time.

Comment

I decided to take my moped out for a ride one day down some backroads, since it does about 30 and the speed limit was 35. Probably 2 miles from home I ran out of fuel...oops. Call the wife, ask nicely. Oh wait, I left the old project car she hates behind both of our cars...so you have to drive that!

She wasn't happy.

Comment

I saw in my new Harbor Freight catalogue an automatic battery float charger for $8.99. Are the name brands that much better or is this acceptable? Sometimes I regret being as cheap as I am(I need a twelve step program),if it doesn't do what I need I waste $8.99. waddya think?

Comment

For gloves, I have Tour Master. They're good up to a point. As far as a battery tender, any should work well. Mine came with my '81 wired so that I didn't have to pull the air box. Basically a wire was run from the positive terminal with a female plug that ran out behind the sidecover on the left side. The negative is an alligator clip that I hook to an allen bolt on the side cover. You shouldn't spend more than $30 for a tender.

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                              X