Recollections of HER first ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recollections of HER first ride

My wife took her first ride on a bike when she and I were dating 25 years ago. We loaded a picnic of sorts in the box on the rear luggage rack of my KZ650 and we headed for Pine Mountain to ride and enjoy the day. West Central Ga. isn't known for it's towering peaks and snake-like twisties, but there's a few curves and whoop-dee-doos to excite the adolescent mind . At any rate, we began to carve the curves a bit from down in the valley towards to highway that runs the length of the Pine Mountain ridge and I noted that the bike wanted to stand straight up whenever I leaned into a corner. It took me a few minutes of close study to realize it wasn't anything mechanical with the bike, but the attitude of the Lady on the back. She was NOT aware that she was supposed to lean right with me in the corners, and went so far as to lean OUT to make sure she stayed upright on the seat. It was funny in retrospect to remember how much difficulty I had trying to steer that bike through the corners with it fighting me all the way as though it had a life of its own! We had an instructive chat over sandwiches at an overlook that gave upon a beautiful view of the valley road below. It still took her several rides to accept that leaning into a turn was natural and would not kill us both.
    It's been probably 15 years since she's ridden with me, but has mentioned a few times in that interim that she'd like for us to have a bike again. She has been looking forward to riding the GS850 with me once I have it ready for the road.

Her Reaction Sounds Familiar. I think Most of Us Who have taken a Passenger on their First Ride Have Experienced "Lean the Wrong Way Syndrome". Hope You Guys get to Enjoy the 850.:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

lol...got to admit I thought my wife would do the same thing since she was not brought up around bikes. Boy...was I mistaken...don't even know she's back there most the time. It seems growing up riding horses is alot like riding bikes. :-D

Comment

Dave, it's the last part of your story that grips me

Life is great!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
          I noted that the bike wanted to stand straight up whenever I leaned into a corner. It took me a few minutes of close study to realize it wasn't anything mechanical with the bike, but the attitude of the Lady on the back. She was NOT aware that she was supposed to lean right with me in the corners, and went so far as to lean OUT to make sure she stayed upright on the seat. It was funny in retrospect to remember how much difficulty I had trying to steer that bike through the corners with it fighting me all the way as though it had a life of its own!
          Heh, I had the same experience with my GF's older sister the first time she rode with me. Nowdays I make sure to instruct inexperienced riders to look over my low shoulder in any turn. I find that it helps them lean to try to see over it.

Comment

My Ex was a natural on the back of the bike. So are my kids! Got to love it when a passanger just "gets it"!!

Comment

I had once told my girlfriend that had never rode on a bike before, just to stay upright on the bike i guess i should have been more specific she tried to stay perpendicular to the ground, oh well at least the kids get it.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yeah, I just had this discussion with my GF tonight. We had run down the street on her bike. She was driving, I rode b***h. Yes, I rode on the back, it is her bike. Anyway, we get down the street and she asks, "Are you leaning with me in the turns?" I replied in the affirmative, to which she replied, "You are supposed to stay upright! You are throwing me off!" Needless to say, I have now figured out why her bike seems squirrely in the turns when we are both on it.

Comment

Working...
                X