Barber Museum / Cheaha Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barber Museum / Cheaha Mountain

Had my buddy Mike from Germany here in September. This is the guy that got me into riding to start with (back in the early 80's). I've known him since 10th grade when I went to high school with him on a US Airbase in Germany.

Fortunately, he was able to make it over to the states last year, and we decided to enjoy ourselves a bit. One of the places he wanted to visit while here, was the Barber Museum, just outside of Birmingham, AL. So, with the weather being nice.....out come the bikes!

Which one? Oh, which one to choose?

I tell him, if he can't make up his mind soon, he'll be riding this one:

Suddenly, he is able to decide. We go for taking the 1100 (of course) and the 850. Why not the 1000 you ask? Well, because the brakes aren't the greatest, and the 850 has all that immense storage room for cameras, etc. (Note the humongous backpack hanging from the backrest!). So, we just thought we'd take these two, and switch bikes every so often.

So, off we go, taking state hwy 78 for most of the way. It's actually some pretty nice scenery. Here we are crossing the Coosa River.

And, of course, we have all the proper safety gear on and we NEVER exceed the speed limit..........as can be proven!

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

And although it's only about an 90 mile trip to the museum there's the occassional break or two, to stretch our legs and to down something cold.

We get there sometime around early afternoon. Being that it was a weekday, there was very little going on, so there was definately no problem finding a parking space.

Quite a "plethora" of bikes inside. Mike, being an avid CBX rider (having owned one for the past 25 years) tends to be drawn to this one.

Here's one our buddy Robinjo would probably like to get his hands on.

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Now here's an interesting one. Guess they had too many bikes there, and were interested in selling some. They tried to get rid of this piece of junk, offering it to us for $1000. Well, we were smarter than they thought....there was no way we were going to spend that amount of money for some Italian trash.

One nice thing about the museum, is the entire back wall is all window, giving you a good view of the track. They happened to have some group racing out there that day.

Well, it's slowly time to depart, after we had a chance to view everything in the museum. So, back to the bikes we go.

Unfortunately, the trip back wasn't quite as enjoyable as the trip out. It first started off with us heading into some ominous looking weather.

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Of what happened next, I don't have pics.

We hit some pretty good rain, which, in itself, didn't bother us too much. But then, the 850 started acting up. First signs were: the light suddenly getting pretty dim, and the fuel gauge dropping from almost full to empty within a matter of a few minutes. Then the bike just gave out on us. Hmmm.....what could it be? The &$%#@ @#$^*#& friggin electrical system, of course! Well, we pull up under some large tree to get at least a little shelter from the rain. Having no tools available (and stuck in the middle of nowhere), I send Mike on out with the 1100 to buy the tools we need from the nearest place possible, while I wait in the rain with the 850.

About 40 minutes later, Mike arrives back with some little toy tool-kit (looks like something Hoomie would have at his house:-D ) and we commence to switching out the batterys on the two bikes.

We get that done, and after a few more (minor) problems, finally get back to the house. Both of us are totally drenched (which probably made me weigh close to 120 lbs), but we get a chance to dry off, warm up, and cool ourselves down again with a beer or two.

That night, we decide to hit one of the local establishments for a nice old dinner.

We end up with a good meal and have a great time!

Mike is intrigued by the t-shirts worn by the waitresses.

Last edited by frosty5011; 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM.

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

After a good meal and a beer or two, we decide to tackle the problem on the 850 that night. It's the R/R of course, and it is promptly switched out with another that I happen to have handy. Of course, not too much to do while the battery is charging except to take it easy.

And here, later on that evening, Mike begins to flirt with my wife.

This is Mike, after I finish with him.

The next morning (after Mike has recuperated sufficiently), we decide to head on out to Cheaha Mountain....the tallest peak in Alabama. Not that that's really high, BB probably has larger molehills than that in CO, but it's a nice ride. So back to our steeds we go.

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Those pictures look familiar

Comment

It's a very nice ride, once you reach the base of the mountain, it's about 15 miles of nice curvy road till you hit the top. Here we are, having reached the top.

Taking a little smoke break (sounds good, eh John?)

Another view of down below

And that's about it....................had a nice two days of good riding, and only one of them plagued with electrical problems. Pretty good for our GS's!:-D

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Yeah Ron a smoke break sounds good :-D

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                  Yeah Ron a smoke break sounds good :-D
                  As Earl would say: He he :-D :-D

Owner of:
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Sweet

Ron, when did this wonderful few days take place?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      Sweet

I think it was either last week of August, or 1st wk of September.

Owner of:
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Sweet

Read the post Mark :-D

Comment

What a great story and pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

Comment

Northern Alabama is very scenic. Never had a chance to ride there though.

I get to Huntsville every once in awhile.

Allen

Comment

Sweet

Now that I think about it, I recall that when we were on the top of Cheaha Mountain, we could just barely make out a large plume of bluish black smoke in the distance, up North.

So, it is possible that it was during one of those days when you were riding around on your GS1000 somewhere in southern Pennsylvania, no?:-D :-D

Owner of:
                              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X