Once again,........they missed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again,........they missed.

I was out for a ride this afternoon on a two lane road. About 5 miles out of town, the road reached a "T" intersection. I was on the stem of the "T" and had the stop sign. I would be alone at the intersection. The highway that was the crossbar of the "T" was straight through, no stop sign. Speed limit was 55 mph, but average traffic speeds are probably more like 60-65 mph. I'm heading north and will reach the stop sign in about 5 seconds. I see to my right (east), three cars, bumper to bumper, approaching the intersection and moving about 60 mph. I intended to turn left/west and normally, I would stop in about the middle of my lane for making a left turn. I estimated the three cars would pass through the intersection about 3-4 seconds after I arrived and stopped. None was signaling a left turn onto my road. I have no idea why I got an odd feeling, but instead of stopping at my usual lane position to wait to make a left turn, I chose to move over to the right edge of the pavement and stop 6 feet short of the stop line, with the stop sign even with my front axle. All three cars, barely slowed, and with no turn indication, did a left turn drift through the intersection. All three used the first ten feet of my lane as they cut through the intersection on a diagonal path. They missed my front wheel by about a foot and I think the only reason they missed by that much was they didnt want to hit the stop sign post. They were so intent on their private road race, they never saw a six foot long red motorcycle with reflective side panels and a rider in a scarlet red jacket.

I was thoroughly pyssed!!!! Unfortunately, I had left all my TOW missiles at home.

I guess the moral of this story is if something doesnt feel right, dont wonder why, change something immediately. You'll probably find out soon enough why you felt odd. Everyone, please pay attention all the time. Sitting still, no one around, doing it right and playing by the rules, they will still come for you. There are no safe zones.

Earl
    Last edited by earlfor; 05-19-2006, 12:17 AM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

This is a good story and a good point. I normally don't believe in this stuff, but I've gotten the "feeling" several times during my short riding career.

The way I look at it, even if I'm only right 10% of the time when I get the "feeling" I'm still avoiding an accident during that 10%. That's worth listening to this kind of voodoo to me.

Comment

Just listen to those voices in your head.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thats happened to me a couple times too,never doubt it just go with it.Kinda creepy.Always got my third eye open!Don

Comment

Truly excellent advice, Earl.

I have had those feelings / heard the voices, many times throughout my life, and frequently I have been very glad I heeded them.

You know more about my personal results than our GSR community, so I am sure you will agree when I give all of them the very strongest assurance these seemingly tiny influences can be life-changing, as well as life-saving.
          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

My own experience. Saw a PU truck stop at a rural intersection, I was approaching in my Toyota Tercel. It was as if someone spoke in my ear. "That guy doesn't see you." I got off the gas, got my foot on the brake, hit the horn and damned if the SOB didn't pull out. Quick swerve, nothing coming and I missed him. Hope he needed to change his shorts.

Comment

It's like going to war out there. Suit up accordingly and run defense with every move you make. Oh, and never forget your TOW missiles.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Earl, thats the kind of stuff us rookies need to hear. Thanks to you guys Ive developed the habit of ALWAYS stopping AT LEAST a bike length back from a stop line, car in traffic, etc etc.

Originally posted by Jethro
                It's like going to war out there. Suit up accordingly and run defense with every move you make. Oh, and never forget your TOW missiles.
                Hmm, I need to get some of those. They wouldve come in very handy yesterday right after some #$%^ ran me off the road because she was too lazy to look both ways before turning left. :shock:

Comment

I find the TOW missile wires get things tangled. I prefer a magnet equipped remote triggered device myself.

By the way, I remember a post about kicking out taillights, it there any way to do this from a Ford Explorer?

It doesn't matter what you drive, some people just won't see you. I was cut off 3 times (Involving squealing tires) during the song "Locomotive Breath" on my way home the other day. and this in the wet and my Big RED Explorer!

Comment

Its a little unsettling. I've lost count of how many times I have taken an action to neutralize something that is going to happen.

Earl

Originally posted by duaneage
                    Just listen to those voices in your head.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Getting run over by a car once is too often. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by UncleMike
                      This is a good story and a good point. I normally don't believe in this stuff, but I've gotten the "feeling" several times during my short riding career.

The way I look at it, even if I'm only right 10% of the time when I get the "feeling" I'm still avoiding an accident during that 10%. That's worth listening to this kind of voodoo to me.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        Getting run over by a car once is too often. :-)

Earl
                        Absolutely.

Comment

Yep, always leave space so you can go around the car in front of you. You never know when the cage driver coming from behind you has his head, uhhhhh.... buried in the glove compartment, looking for breath mints. LOL

Earl

[QUOTE=GSstiny]Earl, thats the kind of stuff us rookies need to hear. Thanks to you guys Ive developed the habit of ALWAYS stopping AT LEAST a bike length back from a stop line, car in traffic, etc etc.

Comment

:shock: Dang, Earl!

And, let me get this straight, you didn't kill any of them? :shock:

Comment

That little voice is a real life saver.

Comment

Working...
                              X