Country road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country road trip

Last night was one of the best short rides I have ever done. We (my brother-in-law and my boys) rode through the back country Ozarks hills to a little known Ancient cemetary near Mt. Vernon, MO. It is known as the Old Spanish Fort. There are old Confederate Soldier graves there and others that date back to the late 1700s. Neat old stuff. I don't know why they called it Spanish Fort for because according to the plaque errected there in 1930 it was an Osage Indian village and fort complete with earthen mounds and a trench or moate around it. You can still see these features. It is in the booneys accross from a miniature horse farm. On the way down there we saw a huge snapping turtle crossing the road near the fish hatchery. WOW! On the way home we stopped for a sodie in small town USA (Aroura). The bugs were getting intense later but it was a blast. Probably rode near 100 miles. I am tired today but it was worth it and my 11 & 15 year old sons had a great time. I will try to post pics when I can figure out the process. Ride hard & enjoy life!

Originally posted by airportcop
    Last night was one of the best short rides I have ever done. We (my brother-in-law and my boys) rode through the back country Ozarks hills to a little known Ancient cemetary near Mt. Vernon, MO. It is known as the Old Spanish Fort. There are old Confederate Soldier graves there and others that date back to the late 1700s. Neat old stuff. I don't know why they called it Spanish Fort for because according to the plaque errected there in 1930 it was an Osage Indian village and fort complete with earthen mounds and a trench or moate around it. You can still see these features. It is in the booneys accross from a miniature horse farm. On the way down there we saw a huge snapping turtle crossing the road near the fish hatchery. WOW! On the way home we stopped for a sodie in small town USA (Aroura). The bugs were getting intense later but it was a blast. Probably rode near 100 miles. I am tired today but it was worth it and my 11 & 15 year old sons had a great time. I will try to post pics when I can figure out the process. Ride hard & enjoy life!
    Sounds like a Real Nice Ride!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
    X