Riding within your limits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding within your limits.

A while back a had a thread going in the tech section about this bonehead friend of mine that took off in a parking lot on his brand new GSXr-600 with his front wheel lock still on. Bent the rotor, scraped the fairing, and so on. In that thread I believe I refered to him as "an accident waiting to happen".
    Well that accident happened yesterday. I'll start off by saying that he'll be fine once the hospital discharges him (though he'll be light a spleen). The short of it is he took an interstate on-ramp at a speed too great to handle a pavement imperfection and ended up landing on top of the guard rail. One helicoper trip, two surgeries, and 26 abdomen staples. Quite a disaster. Oh, and he didn't have his crash jacket on.
    The only reason I post this is that I hate seeing people get hurt on bikes! Especially newbies (this GSXr was his first - WAY too fast). RIDE within YOUR LIMITS! Guys like Rossi and Hayden have the benefit of the static conditions of multi-million dollar race courses and don't have to worry about pot-holes, rabbits, truck tire treads, or expansion joints. If I were them I wouldn't be too worried about sliding into sand in my $15000 armored suit either. But the real world is quite different. And we aren't these guys. Not even close. So think about how fast you're going. Keep it at a clip to where you can come out of it if something goes sour. And of course, all the gear, ALL the time.
    Anyway, I know this stuff somes up all the time, but it's good to keep it out there. Sorry if I got preachy.
    And by the way, Proficient Motorcycling by author By David Hough is what I turn to whenever I hear stories like this. It's well worth the cash for ANY level rider.
    Spend the 20 bucks, be a better rider - http://tinyurl.com/rfy7s
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2006, 09:57 PM.

Its a sad story that comes up far too often. While at the dealer today I saw a 16 y o kid looking at a 600 ninja for his "first bike". Hopefully your friend recovers to ride again, but sensibly the second time around.

Comment

Good Point, Motorcycles Rarely Kill People, But the People Riding Them Do it All the Time. Many of Us have Been Down Before and Lived to Ride Again BUT it Only Takes Once to Stop Forever!:shock:
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by qslim
        Sorry if I got preachy.
        And by the way, Proficient Motorcycling by author By David Hough is what I turn to whenever I hear stories like this. It's well worth the cash for ANY level rider.
        Spend the 20 bucks, be a better rider - http://tinyurl.com/rfy7s
        Don't be. We need to hear things like this to keep us grounded. Sad though.
        Btw, another good book.

Comment

I went for a little ride last night on my 550 to practice some curves. On some I could tell I was going a little too quickly, but didn't get in any "trouble". I just took it nice and easy and slowed a bit more for curves.

I do plan on taking the safety course in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinA
            I went for a little ride last night on my 550 to practice some curves. On some I could tell I was going a little too quickly, but didn't get in any "trouble". I just took it nice and easy and slowed a bit more for curves.

Please do -Ride to Survive m8...

Comment

Originally posted by KevinA

Learn a little about suspension setup as well as following everyone's advice here. Setting the bike up for your weight makes a big difference in how it handles.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                Learn a little about suspension setup as well as following everyone's advice here. Setting the bike up for your weight makes a big difference in how it handles.
                And on that note... --> http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=92847

Comment

People just need to slow down.

No need to hot rod.

Comment

Many new riders feel embarrassed on a old, slow bike. Trouble is they don't have the patience for a rapid machine. I was at the gym and three guys were replaying the war stories about their bikes. I wonder which one will get it first.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                    X