Why Keith was right to turn off his PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Keith was right to turn off his PM's

I'll start this "GS story" with the good news. I've finally got my bike running right! I'm pretty excited about it. Tonight was a breakthrough!

The background: I bought the bike in Sept. of 2004. The previous owner had put a very cool looking, albeit VERY loud V&H header with a D&D race can. It also started very hard. I mounted up a Mac 4-2-1 pipe that I had before and began having problems with getting the jetting right. I got the starting problem taken care of by clearing the choke tube feed ports in the bottom of the float bowls, but couldn't get the jetting right.

The problem has been a very pronounced stutter just off idle, really only bad when the bike sits for about 30 seconds or more. It was like it loaded up with gas or something. No matter what I tried with the jets (and I tried it all) the stutter was still there. Other than that the bike ran like clockwork- perfect except for the stutter. Being an anal retentive bastage that would never do.

At the end of last year I set myself to completely replacing all the stock components, in an effort to finally rid myself of the stutter. It took some time to gather up the pipes (Adam, your set of sweet pipes are going on next week, now that I finally got it mocked up right), the right airbox and the factory jetting components. Keep in mind all the GS's of my past were pretty altered- 4-1 pipes, pod filters, DJ kits, etc. By Feb. I had all I needed, but this friggin' stutter just wouldn't go away. I began to reach out to others looking for advice, and of course Keith spent tons of time answering my questions.

Now the key here is that Keith and others have to trust that you have done all the little stuff right. When it comes to carbs, there is a lot that may be wrong- it's not just a matter of jets. I was convinced I had the bone stock carb jetting, and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

You gotta keep in mind that I have so much carb parts around, it's hard to figure out what is what. Tonight I decided to change out nothing but the diaphragm springs. Well, I've been trying to get my carbs tuned with what must have been DJ springs, and I finally got the one set out of 5 that aren't DJ springs and if you ever wondered, yes, they make a difference. The stutter is gone. Those springs should be marked somehow, or at least a different color?? WTF.:?

Anyway, the point is this: Keith could never have fixed that problem- y'know, me being an idiot? He must have asked me 100 times if I was sure that everything is back to stock. He should have turned his PM option a long time ago. Or at least blocked me. Fortunately I learned a whole lot more about my carbs, and at least I got it running right.

Thanks Keith!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Congrats on Getting Her Sorted Out. Keith seems to be a Really Nice Guy Who wants to Help out Everyone Who Asks, and As You point Out, Carb Work can Be a Really Hairy Can of Worms.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I just feel bad becasue he spent so much time trying to help me. The little things can make a huge difference, and he has no idea what we or previous owners had done to the bike.

Luckly I did learn a ton from him. Yes, he is a super great guy.

Now this weekend looks like rain all weekend. Bummer.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Congrats on getting it figured out....and I totally understand the "anal retentive" part of your story. I think it has something to do with being perfectionists....at least that's what I'm told.

If nothing else, you may inadvertantly help others just by posting your story.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger

If nothing else, you may inadvertantly help others just by posting your story.

Thanks!
          That's what I was hoping!
          Currently bikeless

Comment

So everybody should start PM'ing you now that you've sucked all of Keith's carb knowledge out of him?? :shock:;-)

Just Kidding, of Course!!

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
              So everybody should start PM'ing you now that you've sucked all of Keith's carb knowledge out of him?? :shock:;-)

Just Kidding, of Course!!
              Oh yeah, of course! Anyone who want's to take 5 months of working almost every night, pulling the carbs off at least 40 times, making the bike run sh!tty, spending huge money on other new parts that you thought would fix the problem but didn't- shoot me a PM! More than happy to share my stupidity- umm- knowladge!
              Currently bikeless

Comment

I'll echo your sentiment Geoff and add that I also learned a ton from him. Great guy. Very patient.

What was my snafu you ask? He told me right from the start to "just get a DynaJet stage III jet kit for it!" I insisted on trying to do it with Mikuni parts. After weeks of waisted time I realized that it just wasn't ever going to happen with stock Mikuni parts man. I finally got the kit and had the bike jetted within a week after that.

He shouldn't have helped me at all until I was willing to take "ALL" of his advice. I am sure I also helped contribute to his recent feelings.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Sitting here kinda bored and it's too stinkin' hot outside anyway.
                  I just noticed this thread, trying to find something to reply to.
                  Let me just say that I'm not pis#ed/irritated/bothered by PM's, but, as my wife pointed out VERY CONVINCINGLY, I spend too much time here and I just had to do stop the PM's. I also think any problem someone has is best replied to by as many as possible. OK? Not mad or anything. SEE? :-D:-D Smilies!
                  As for thanking me and all the stuff we've talked about in the past, nobody twists my arm to reply here. I just like helping and I enjoy visiting here.
                  As for Jethro's eventual fix, (not trying to brag or anything here) I thought I DID mention specifically if your piston assembly springs were stock? Maybe not...I don't know because I answer so many things and they start to run into each other. I did recently mention the springs to another member in the forum with a similar problem so it may have been him, but I thought I brought the springs up in our PM?? I looked back into my PM box to see but I deleted most of the oldest replies to you because of space. I only saved the two latest ones from you and your reply abbreviated whatever I said earlier. I deleted everything else but probably shouldn't have.
                  Maybe you still have all my messages? I guess it doesn't matter now anyway. I always try to think of ALL the things a problem could be but it's hard to type out everything that's on ones mind. Some of my past replies have been "mini novels" and I'm trying :roll: to shorten them too.
                  But your post does point out how difficult it can be to help over the internet. Nothing can replace being there. There's so much that can go wrong with carburetion, among other things, and just one thing different or one thing not mentioned, can lead to not fixing the problem.
                  I'm glad your bike is running good Jethro. :-D I know how frustrating problems can be. That's why I and many others here try to help. Living with older bikes can be a challenge, especially if you want them running right.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure you mentioned the springs- I was only joking around with ya, I can't believe it was springs the whole time! And you asked that too, I just didn't know. That's what makes it so hard for you to try and help us meatheads! :-D But I helped myself eventually. Psyched it works well no though.

How hot is it there? It's 52 and POURING here. I'm going crazy here.
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

I haven't looked at a thermometer but it's mid-90's at least. And the hottest part of a hot day is always about 3 to 4:00. The first heat wave always takes some getting used to.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                        I haven't looked at a thermometer but it's mid-90's at least. And the hottest part of a hot day is always about 3 to 4:00. The first heat wave always takes some getting used to.
                        Sooo..... freaking..... hot..... here.... 8-O

Comment

It's getting warm here too,yesterday it was about 90 with a bit of humidity.These hot days make for nice nite rides.Sorry about my rant last week over that stupid pipe!My ride was down at the time(waiting for a oil pump)and I was not in a good mood.Phark was right,just grow up.Keith is a cool cat,sorry dude!Don

Comment

Adam, your set of sweet pipes are going on next week
                            WOO HOO!

Looking forward to pictures. Glad you got it running good!

Comment

Working...
                            X