Car vs. Bike at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car vs. Bike at night

I was finishing up a 250 mile ride home from the coast of Washington yesturday. This was a birthday trip out to the coast where I knew I had to endure rain the whole way out. However, the following day called for sun which I got.

The ride was incredible, 75 miles of convulted pavement with another 55 into the Olympic Range. The Katana was doing its thing, working exceptionally well through many 2nd-4th gear turns.

20 miles from home we have a windy stretch of road called Chuckanut Drive. As I'm approaching the twisty section I see a car up a head. I speed up to pass it before the curves starts, but he's speeding up too. The car allows me to close in a bit, but then starts pulling away.

Evenso, I want to get ahead of this car so it doesn't spoil the curves. Its dark, 10:15 at night, a few damp patches, and many blind corners. I can't help myself, and start trying to hang with this guy or pass him. I just turned 41, but I guess my ego still needs stroking or something.

Anyway, were clipping along, approaching a 20 mph hairpin doing about 80, and I notice damp patches. I brake hard while still upright, getting slowed to about 20 and ease through the corner. The car is gone at this point as I approach the next decreasing radius blind uphill right. More damp patches and water weeping out of the road in places.

Since I know this road well I'm kinda riding by brail, I see tailights a ways up. This guy was pushing hard probably using the whole road and sliding through corners.

During this time, not one car when by the other way. Then a section of road that is cut in the side of cliff of sandstone goes relatively straight, but has a few chicanes you can straighten out while still in your lane.

I'm probably approaching 100 mph with my headlight on the inbetween hi-lo setting. I see tail lights three turns up, then the windy section gives way to a state park and then homes.

The car backs down, I back down to a sedate speed, we stay seperated about 75 yards. After a straight section the road get windy again, he tears through a super tight right hander and by the time I'm through it he's gone again. The road up ahead Y's and I just catch a glimpse of him tearing off to the right, actually the way I was going anyway.

I catch up and sneak up right on his tail and he turns left, sliding uphill under hard acceleration, then he chills over the rise and the next half a mile, we approach a stop light.

I get close enough to see what type of car it is. I don't know the model, but it was a 2005-6 Nissan Coupe.

We both get on the freeway onramp, me following, he's sliding and accelerating again, a semi is coming in the slow lane as the onramp pinches onto the freeway.

The car goes for it driving on the shoulder to get in front. I wait for semi to pass. We cruise at freeway speed and happen to exit on the same offramp.

He waited at the light to turn left while I swept to the right and headed home.

I rarely ride with anyone, nor do I ever see other people on bikes going the same way I'm going. Rarely has a car or a bike ever given me the business, aside from a stoplight holeshot, that I wasn't aware of with a Mustang 5.0.

I try to avoid riding at night after a harrowing journey from San Jose to Springfeild Oregon. I thought I could do Eureka through Happy Camp (hwy 96) to I-5 starting a 6:00 pm in April to get there before dark. 175 miles, in 2 1/2 hrs. I was so wrong.

I can't say I felt over my limits, but I was not at all use to that pace at night.

Would you have let him go or taken up the battle? I guess it coulda been a she.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

let him go....screw racing cagers.

edit: I hit 80 last night racing a cager off a stop light...

Comment

Hey Carter. Nice to see someone else from Bellingham on here.
      Lets go for a ride some time.

Comment

I was skateboarding to the video store and saw the Nissan in question. Its a 350Z.

I don't think he/she was a racing cager, maybe. I was just hoping to get a few night curves to myself when this car happened to be in my path.

Couriersec, I'm usually up for rides. Are you near Lake Samish?
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I live on Meridian St. near the low side of Cornwall Park. I'm a beginner so if you feel like a smooth easy ride I'm in. Chukanut is going to be a bit down the road for me.

Comment

Chances are great that the Z would have roasted you in the twisties anyway. Thats a great handling car. It was nighttime on a damp road and the car has good headlights and your on a 20+ year old bike. Just let 'em go and have their fun. They would've been right behind you the whole way had you passed them....

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
              They would've been right behind you the whole way had you passed them....
              Yup, better the cage slides off the road in front of you, than sliding into you from behind!

Brad tt

Comment

I was suprised how quick the car was.

Comment

Working...
                X