No announcement yet.

Iron Butt Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm for all you who are google impaired ;-)
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
      .....This was done on my 1983 GS1100ED with no fairing. It was certainly tougher than my FJR ride but I actually did it in less time....

....I don't think the KTM will ever get one!.......
      Very nice sir, we all know that naked is the way real men do it!

KTM? Thats easy, its just a straight line then....over the hills, and through the woods!

Congrats! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
        So now that I have done the SS1000 TWICE, including once on my GS, I have decided to accept criticisms ONLY from IBA members……………………[-(

Thanks,
        Joe
        Well, that would be me, but I really don't have anything to criticize. I actually have mixed feelings about the whole Iron Butt concept, but I consider Joe's attitude sensible and safe. It is one I share. You don't do it for its own sake; You do it as an add on for a trip you were going to take anyway. And you don't make a big deal out of it ahead of time either to others or to yourself. If it works out, it works out; but if stuff happens to work against it, you don't have ego or stubborness influencing you to go beyond good judgement. If anyone is interested in giving it a try, don't tell us about it. Just download the paperwork, follow the directions, and only tell folks when you are done. Even if you don't do the 1000 or don't even want to, following the IB instructions to document extensively is good discipline for any trip.

Now with regard to the Iron Butt competition held every two years, I have some extreme reservations about that. It is a competition held on public roads that requires riding virtually non-stop for over a week, mostly in excess of speed limits, in a sleep-deprived condition. I find it all very interesting, but I have extreme reservations.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I have to agree with you Don. Its something you do because you want to do it.
          It takes a certain type of person to be able to spend that many hours on a bike, and although I have, I dont remember it as being enjoyable. I've already made all the iron butt and butt burner distance rides I want to. I ride a bit easier these days. LOL

Earl

[QUOTE=dpep]
          Well, that would be me, but I really don't have anything to criticize. I actually have mixed feelings about the whole Iron Butt concept, but I consider Joe's attitude sensible and safe. It is one I share.
          Last edited by earlfor; 06-15-2006, 01:07 AM.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep

Now with regard to the Iron Butt competition held every two years, I have some extreme reservations about that. It is a competition held on public roads that requires riding virtually non-stop for over a week, mostly in excess of speed limits, in a sleep-deprived condition. I find it all very interesting, but I have extreme reservations.

My reservations have never been 'extreme' just an inner awareness that all is not quite right. The sleep deprived condition is extremely dangerous, to rider and others on the highway with him. In fact, it's a condition right up there with DUI. When I got back to Lexington after my marathon ride I was totally, completely, exhausted. I couldn't imagine being in this condition for over a week.

Comment

I used to regularly do a run from Queensland to Adelaide (family) in a cage - approx 1300 miles/ 2200 kms - always around 20-22 hours - cracked 19 hrs once in an old holden monaro....:shock:

have done many 36-48 hour runs in a rig....8-[

but neva eva would I think it fun or a test of leetness to thunder that far or fast on a bike ffs...

....but what ever makes ur caterpilla fly I suppose - goodluck to yas

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                My reservations have never been 'extreme' just an inner awareness that all is not quite right. The sleep deprived condition is extremely dangerous, to rider and others on the highway with him. In fact, it's a condition right up there with DUI. When I got back to Lexington after my marathon ride I was totally, completely, exhausted. I couldn't imagine being in this condition for over a week.
                Well....

The short answer is that it's much more mental than physical. Frankly, the first few days are the most difficult (at least for me) but then I seemed to fall into a "zone" if that makes sense. You have to bear in mind that the Iron Butt Rally is actually a reading comprehension and map test held all over North America. It isn't a pre-planned ride where competitors simply ride to the next destination. It's much closer to a photo-scanvenger hunt than anything else. Because of this, staying mentally sharp is key. Routing, following written directions, and of course, riding efficiently and safely are key for finishing. To finish well takes a bit more...and a little luck.

Above all, the Iron Butt Rally (and the Iron Butt Association for that matter) requires a sense of personal responsibility. It's really no different than anything we all do in life; do what you enjoy and know your limits. It's that simple. For what it's worth, the Iron Butt Rally has enjoyed a remarkable safety record over the years. When one considers that roughly 100 riders start the IBR (for modern rallies since~97 or so) and the average milage of finishers is ~10,500 miles, the rare occurance of serious accidents and no crash related deaths is rather remarkable. Select any other group of people/number of people/any type of vehicle(s) traveling ~800K miles in an 11 day period and I'd be willing to bet finding a combination that yields a better safety record might be pretty tough.

It's a great feeling of accomplishment to complete a Saddlesore (1000 in 24) or any other award for the first time. There is something strangely magical about covering 1000 miles in a day. Thing about this; take out a map of the US (or pull up a mapping program) and draw an eliptical line starting from your house out 1000 miles. Look at all of the places you could ride to in 24 hours! It's pretty crazy...:-D

If anyone has an interest in completing a personal ride (saddlesore, bun burner, etc.) either starting or ending anywhere near Houston, Dallas or other points around Texas, drop me a line and I'll be more than happy to sign you in or out. If you'd like to know more about the IBA, the Iron Butt Rally, or endurance riding in general, shoot me a message and I'll help anyway I can!

Allen Dye

Comment

And check out the long list of various Ironbutt ride completions, there's a few Suzuki GS bikes sprinkled in among all the BMWs, Hondas and Harleys....

Comment

Working...
                  X