Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D.d.d

Dad and Daughter Day

I woke up early last Saturday, around 5:30, and was thinking I wanted to go for a nice long ride. So, as I lay in bed, I contemplated how far and where I would go. It actually wasn’t that impromptu of an idea, I’d been thinking about it for a couple days. It’d been a long week and I needed to get out and go somewhere.

After laying in bed for about an hour, I decided if I was going to go, I’d better get up and do a few checks on the bike to be sure it was up for a trip. But, as I was getting the coffee started, I thought how it’d probably be unfair of me to take off and leave my wife at home to deal with the kids (actually, my daughter, my son is too busy hanging out with his g/f to spend much time with us). So I considered the idea of taking my daughter (12) with.

Up to this point in her life she’s ridden with me on a number of occasions, but it’s only consisted of rides to church or my parents or in-laws. Those rides generally are less than 20 miles and have long breaks between being on the bike. So, it was going to be entirely up to her if she wanted to come along. Unfortunately, it’s summer break (and Saturday) so she wasn’t going to be awake and for a while. I drank more coffee and considered the route we’d take.

Around 8:30 my wife woke up and I told her my plan for the day, and she thought the prospect of taking my daughter was a good idea. So, I busied myself with some things as I waited for my daughter to wake up. About an hour later she finally woke up and I asked her if she’d be up for a long ride. Excitedly, she answered, “YES!” I told her to be ready to go around 10:30/11:00. I had to do a quick run to the hardware store to pick up another carriage bolt that was missing from my luggage rack/backrest assembly, and some new earplugs. I returned home and proceeded to go out and prep the bike. Adjusted the chain, and put the backrest on. I took a quick jaunt on the bike to warm the chain for the wax, and we were finally ready to head out.

So, my plan was to head out to Galena from Rockford via the Stagecoach Trail, and stop there for lunch, and then on to Dubuque, IA and back into WI to make our way back home. I figured we’d be gone 4 or 5 hours, depending on how often we stopped. Though I had a slight change of plan added before we left, it wasn’t enough to spoil the day’s ride.

We’d been only about 5 minutes from home when I realized I’d forgotten to put in my earplugs. So I made a quick stop in a park to put them in. I asked my daughter if she was getting any wind noise from her helmet and if she’d want try some also. She said she was okay without them. I also explained to her that if she needed something to tap on my helmet so I’d know to stop. So we continued on.

Now, those of you who have ridden with me know I can tend to be a bit heavy-wristed when I’m on the 1100, but I’d told myself before we left that I was carrying precious cargo and had to maintain a reasonable speed. After all, I wanted my daughter to enjoy herself and have this ride be the beginning of something for us to enjoy (my wife refuses to ride). So, with the exception of passing and four-lane highways, I was determined to keep it under 65, which I was fairly successful. I did end up bumping it up to 70 as the day wore on and we got closer to the end of the ride, but I had a good reason.

We had just gotten onto the Stagecoach Trail in Lena, IL and were only a couple of miles out of town, when she tapped on my helmet. Well, we were about 15 minutes from the next town so I just flashed my hand at her a couple of times to indicate it’d be a bit. I then realized that she probably had no clue as to what that meant, so I immediately stopped on the side of the road. She said she needed to take a break and I told her it’d be a bit before we got to the next town. And then she said she wanted some earplugs. So, we continued on to Warren, IL.

By the time we’d gotten to Warren, we’d been going for a little over an hour. And I told her that when we stopped it’d be a long, leg-stretching break. I also told her that we’d be in Galena in about 30 minutes and stop at the local McD’s for lunch. I also forewarned her that the road between Warren and Galena was a twisty one, and that she would probably enjoy it more than the roads we’d been on up to that point. After about 10 minutes, and brief lesson in how to install the foam type earplugs, we were on our way again.

Well, we hit the twisty part of the Stagecoach Trail, and while I usually love to hit the turns hard when I’m solo, I took them at a leisurely pace, and my daughter did spectacularly as a passenger. The turns were nice and smooth, and they were all clear of gravel. We did catch up to a cage during one of the twistier bits and had to creep through, but we made short work of the cage when a passing zone presented itself. And before I knew it, we were in Galena. One thing I noticed is that the sign in Warren states that Galena is 28 miles away, when, in truth, my odometer put Galena 10 miles closer. Oh well, that probably explains why the trip seemed so quick.

So, we pulled into the McD’s parking lot, and headed inside to for a quick lunch. The main purpose for the stop, besides lunch and gas, was that I wanted to give my daughter the opportunity to say if she was ready to head back. By this time she’d more than tripled here usual bike mileage (83 miles), but she said she was fine. And she was also very glad to have taken the earplugs. She did say here legs were getting a little sore, so I offered her a Tylenol. After 20 minutes at McD’s we headed down the road to a gas station. Riding two-up on some the hilly roads was taking a small toll on the 1100’s mileage, but it had been well worth it.

While we were at the gas station, we were looking at the clouds, and it appeared that there were some storms brewing to the west. I considered that they were still far enough away that we’d be able to make Dubuque, which was our turning back point.

We got back on the road and headed west once again, Dubuque a scant 15 miles away, and the clouds ever looming to the north and west. We were on US 20 at this point, and I’ve got to say, for a four-lane highway, it’s got some nice sweepers on it. I think I was cruising around 75 and pacing an SUV. And every time I could get a clear view to the north, I’d notice that the storms we’d looked at not 20 minutes earlier, were getting bigger and closer. It was at about this time that I was thinking we were probably going to get wet. But I was keeping my fingers crossed. My contingency plan was to stop and let it pass, if possible.

We come through East Dubuque, IL and 20 turns back into a two-lane road for the bridge over the Mississippi. My daughter had never been to Dubuque before, as a matter of fact, the only time she’d ever been through Galena was when she was too young to remember. So I knew she was probably taking it all in, and I was really hoping that she was enjoying herself. I think one nice thing to have would be a two-way radio so we could at least talk to one another. That’s the only thing that I think could have made the ride even better.

(to be continued.......)

Brad tt
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2006, 03:52 PM. Reason: Fixing title to all capitals.

OK, you lured me in. What happens? Did you get wet? Did you have to outrun the cops? Come on man.. type faster! Did you have a great day? (Ok I know you did, I saw that much on another thread)

I'm looking forward to Friday when I pick up #3 at church camp. If the weather holds, he'll have a 40 mile ride to home with his gear strapped to the back.

Comment

Patience! I figured I'd better stop there so I could go do some work. :-D I'll have the rest up this afternoon.

Brad tt

Comment

Once across the bridge, it was two rights and a left and we were on our way back across the river on US151/61. This was a wide-open four-lane highway and once we were back across the Mississippi it turned a bit north. Putting an ominous black cloud directly in front of us. I never did ask what my daughter was thinking when she saw that cloud sitting directly in front of us, but I know what was going through my mind.

After about 10 minutes on the highway, I saw the county road that I’d been looking for (I’d done a quick look at the map that morning to make our route back through WI before heading home) and exited 151/61. It appeared that we might have lucked out on the rain because the darkest part of the cloud seemed to be a bit south of us. If, timing were on our side, we’d stay dry and be back out from under this storm’s shadow. My fingers were still crossed.

And so we we’re headed east now, at least a couple of hours to get home. As I crested this hill, I saw that the road stretched out in front of us for a couple miles. What I saw on the road made me uncross my fingers. The pavement went from a light color to a darker shade, and then it was shiny. Sure enough, we’d caught the backside of the storm.

The only thing that really bothered me when we rode into the rain wasn’t the water. My daughter’s even rode in the rain with me, though this was a bit heavier, so my concern wasn’t for her. No, it was the idiot cager that was tailgating me!! At the risk of being chastised, I was traveling too fast for conditions, I know. But anyone who’s ridden in the rain before knows that it’s better to be in front of traffic, rather than behind. So I kept the speed up and the idiot behind me.

About 10 minutes later we rode out of the shower and back into the sunshine. We were wet, not soaked, and the temperature was warm enough that we weren’t getting chilled as our pants air-dried. And yes, the fool in the car was still on my tail. Just as the county road was entering the next town, Cuba City, WI, the tailgater turned off, IN A CHURCH PARKING LOT!!! Anyway, as we were turning onto a state highway in town, I paused for a moment and asked my daughter if she was wet, and she was. Guess I’m not quite large enough to work as rain deflector.

From that point it was pretty dull riding for about 20 miles. We went straight north from Cuba City to an intersection between WI 80 and WI 81 where we turned east and went straight on to Darlington. With the small exception of the very gently rolling hills, this road was wide open and straight. Which made it easy to sight see a bit and look at all the storms that were now to our southeast. I always like watching thunderheads build. You look at them one moment and they’re just a little cloud, and then you look again and it’s this towering white monstrosity smudging out the landscape below them with heavy rain. Fortunately, we were now running with them and weren’t too likely to run through any more rain.

We reached Darlington and took another break to stretch and such. We’d dried off before we’d gotten there. While we were in the parking lot I kept looking back at the rain clouds and snapped off a few pics (don’t worry, I’ll post them tomorrow). I commented to my daughter how that last leg (53 miles) went by awfully quick. She agreed. Once again I asked her how she was doing and she had said her legs were getting a bit sore (I think it has to do with the goofy cushion set-up for the passenger), but she was still having a good time. I told her I figured we were probably a couple hours from home and that we’d probably be good weather-wise.

Back on the 1100 we went and we continued to follow WI 81. The next town that we’d be stopping in was Monroe (home of the Huber Brewery and Berghoff Beer). The road finally was interesting again. With the exception of the rain, it’d been a pretty boring trip in WI so far. It had a lot of nice long sweepers and I had no problem maintaining 65. Well, with the exception of the lost van from IL (stupid FIBs, hehe). He was an easy pass when we had the chance. I say he was lost because he’d slow down at just about every side road. Oh well, he was in my rearview soon enough.

We passed through the small town of Argyle on the way to Monroe. If we’d have had the time, I probably would have liked to get out and explore. It seemed like it was fairly rustic with some neat shops along the main drag. But, maybe next time.

It was a quick right and a quick left and we were back out in the countryside. The hills were just far enough apart that the scenery was beautiful as you’d crest a hill or come around a long bend. Only one bad thing happened, which really wasn’t all that bad. As we were cresting a hill there was a farmhouse located right next to the road. And, as is common this time of year, there was a trail of dirt going across the road from the farm to the field across the street. Obviously a tractor coming back from the field had left it. No problem. I just tried to pass it by slightly weaving between the clods. I must have not weaved enough, though, because after passing over it, I felt something hit my foot. Oh well, I thought.

Well, we made it into Monroe about 15 minutes later and took another break, and as my daughter was taking pictures of the clouds over the Piggly Wiggly (we were being chased by a storm since we’d turned back south after leaving Argyle). I happened to look down at my foot, the one that the “dirt” had hit, and I now realize that it’s cow manure. Sure enough, I can see there’s a bit in the tread on the front tire, some of it is on the foot peg where my foot was, and a little had even managed to get on my daughter’s shoe and peg.

Well, we were on the final leg of the day’s trip, which actually wasn’t taking us home, but rather to my parent’s home. This was that little change of plans I’d mentioned way back at the beginning. And once again, my eyes were watching the sky whenever I had the opportunity. It seemed that rain was trying really hard to catch us, and it was doing a pretty good job. I think we’d faired pretty well that day with just running through a shower for 10 minutes thus far. So onward and southward we pushed on WI 69/IL 26 to Cedarville, IL.

This was our second trip through Cedarville, and we just briefly backtracked on the road we had taken earlier to get to the Stagecoach Trail. This brought us out onto IL 75, which, while it’s a fairly scenic area, the road is crap. And with my daughter being about worn out, and myself starting to ache for a chair to sit in, the roughness of the road was unwelcome. Unfortunately, it’s the quickest way to my parent’s house.

It was while on the final 10-mile stretch that we ran across our only LEO for the day, an IL state trooper going the opposite direction. I was, however, on my home turf, so to speak, and knew the area to be crawling with all sorts of LEOs. The worst he could have gotten me for was going 5 over the posted. And this far out in the country, they tend to give you a bit of slack. So it was smooth (yes, even the pavement was kind for the last little bit) sailing to my parent’s.

All in all, it was probably the best day I’ve had in an extremely long time. I’m still riding the high it gave me spending this time with my daughter. I can only hope she got as much out of it as I did. We actually still had another 15 miles to go before we did get to our home, but as I said, I had a change in my plans. I had to help my Father-in-Law with picking up some windows, and we were borrowing my parent’s pick-up. So, we had a nice 2-hour break between the end of our trip and the quick jaunt home. Needless to say we were both sacked out when we finally got home around 7:30.

Total miles for the day 230. My daughter was pretty sore yesterday, but that’s the biggest complaint she’s had. I’m trying to convince her to come up with me in a couple weeks when it’s time to work on the cabin again. She’s considering it, though I’ve had to reassure her that it’s only 170 miles to get there. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Brad tt

Comment

Great story, I have two daughters and have found the days spent together on the bike always generate great memories. Wonderful one on one time without equal.

I agree with the two way communication point as well, I need to look into a system thats easily moved from one helmet to another (any ideas?) as both girls have thier own helmet.

Dan.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2006, 03:52 PM.

Comment

So you speak alot about this "coffee" is this the instant stuff that you so graciously shared with me? :shock:

Sounds like a blast bud! Sounds like you will have to do it again! :-D

Comment

Great story Brad!!! A day you and your daughter will always remember, thanks for sharing with us!:-D

Comment

Great day for you, and great writing! I'll bet your daughter really enjoyed the bonding and out time as much as you did. Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

And the pics. :-D

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                  X