Celebrating Number 51 On the Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating Number 51 On the Motorcycle

It's not as big of a deal as if I had turned 50 but I decided I needed to make up for the missed ride I was supposed to make for my 49th birthday two years ago when this COVID crap started. So, after a short discussion with the family and offer to a friend of mine to join me, he and I took off Friday, 1 Apr, for Bowling Green KY and the National Corvette Museum. That Friday started off really lousy when snow showers came into town early in the morning. Fortunately they didn't last very long, only delayed us leaving by an hour, so I threw on the new heated jacket, brushed off the evil white powder, and away we went.

Snow on Bandit by Scott Baker, on Flickr

After a brief snafu with my GPS near Richwood KY, we stopped off to visit the Buffalo Trace distillery and have lunch than made way to Abraham Lincoln's birthplace but arrived an hour late (thanks snow ) to get in. So, I'll be making a return trip later this year. Then it was off to Bowling Green where the wife and kids joined us.

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I enjoyed the nice birthday breakfast with every one but we needed to leave to see the whole reason why we went. If you haven't been there, find time to go see the museum. Although I am more of a Mustang person, seeing the cars they have there is a sight to behold, and not just of the Corvette. Even seeing the cars pulled out of the sinkhole still made me cringe at the memories of and dollars lost to those who owned them

At National Corvette Museum by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Yellow 1955 Corvette by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Sinkhole Corvette by Scott Baker, on Flickr

After a few hours both my friend and the family both left for home and I continued on to western Kentucky where I found this little gem of a back road. Sorry, road signs were very rare on this road but if you ever want to go looking for it, search KY-1038 near Russellville.

KY Highway 1038 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I left Clarksville TN the next morning and met up with Scott Marvin (Marvinsc) at Fort Donelson TN. This Civil War fort is not what you would imagine but it's easy to imagine the soldiers behind those guns just itching to give the Union a good fight.

Fort Donelson TN by Scott Baker, on Flickr

After leading me on a fantastic 50 mile round trip twisty road south of there on TN-232, we then rode up through the Land Between the Lakes where I continued my way back to Bedford IN, Jay, and the Rosemount Motel (my longest day of the weekend at 400 miles).

Scott Marvin Kentucky Lake by Scott Baker, on Flickr

A phone call from the youngest daughter the next morning concerning car problems caused me to cut short any fun ride home but I still finished the weekend with 1002 miles under my belt.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Nice Scott....I stop at Buffalo Trace every time I head north....
    The fort looks cool....Love that stuff...

Sounds like a fun birthday....
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

National Corvette Museum - Mecca!
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Happy Bday Cowboy, looks like a very nice trip, though it would have been a little too cool for me..
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Happy Bday Cowboy, looks like a very nice trip, though it would have been a little too cool for me..
            Thank you and I agree on the cool part. I needed my heated jacket twice throughout the entire trip
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

nice ride and nice report posting

KY1038
              that is a highway? Doesn’t look like more than one lane. And it just follows the lay of the land.
              ( I should be used to that after being to southern indiania multiple times.)
              nice picture/view with the road curving and reappearing in the distance.

heated jacket, eh.
              that make a big difference, did it??

Last edited by Redman; 04-06-2022, 09:27 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes it did Dave; I only put the thermostat on the medium setting but it was enough to make it comfortable.

I have found that the four digit KY roads are more like connector roads between the more developed highways but they are deceivingly fun. Of course, I really haven’t found many roads in KY that aren’t fun (twisty sense).
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Scott, thank you for sharing - looks like a very nice trip! And it's always great to meet up with another GS'er
                  You certainly picked some cool spots to stop & see. When and where will your next trip take you? Got to have goals in life!
                  Oh - and I like your bike, it looks awesome with the saddlebags.
                  Last edited by gs scott; 04-07-2022, 07:10 AM.
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
                    Scott, thank you for sharing - looks like a very nice trip! And it's always great to meet up with another GS'er
                    You certainly picked some cool spots to stop & see. When and where will your next trip take you? Got to have goals in life!
                    Oh - and I like your bike, it looks awesome with the saddlebags.
                    Thank you Scott. Right now there are very tentative plans for a ride to Gettysburg. I have a niece I haven’t seen in 20+ years whose husband will graduate from the Army War College and receive his promotion to Lieutenant Colonel (he’s prior enlisted at that) Memorial Day weekend. Other than that right now just the annual Brown County gathering.

One of these days I’ll finally do the cross country ride I have wanted to do. Just need the wife to slow down on her spending long enough to save up for it
                    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

One of these days I’ll finally do the cross country ride I have wanted to do. Just need the wife to slow down on her spending long enough to save up for it
                      LOL!!!!
                      My brother wants to do the Rt 66 thing one of these days...I'd go with him but his idea of a day's ride is 150 miles...

Scott
                      1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                      1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                      1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                      2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice Scott, glad you had a good time.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                        X