Vermont Tour de Gap run... July 6, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm back safe and sound, arrived at about 6:20 this evening. I'm showing a grand total of 353 miles for the day.

Attendees were Leo and Joel (lord1234 and Pano). We were scheduled to meet at 9:30am this morning, In White River Junction VT, and the day was gorgeous.\\/ Leo and Joel, both from MA met early and hit the highway from the Lowell area. I'm much further north and east, so I just thought I'd meet them at the start, but I thought to myself, if I time it right I'll hit the highway just as they are coming up route 89. Amazingly I wasn't ripping up 89 for more than 4 minutes before I see two bikes up ahead. Yup, it's them!! Joel on his newly aquired 81 Katana 1000, and Leo on his 83 650G. Perfect.

This was the gap run, I have thought about doing it for years. Even though I had been on most of these roads many times before, the plan was to ride across the Green Mountain range of VT back and forth all day. It worked out pretty well, except I had us mapped over Lincoln Gap, one I thought was paved for sure. We came up from the West, as we had already run over the range once, on Bethel Mountain road and through Middlebury Gap. Oh well, the GPS worked flawlessly getting us to the dirt road, I just should have looked closer on the map software. Yet another group ride where I take the gang for a bit of off-roading, NH style. So we backtracked and got on course again. Driving north took us to Rt. 17, and up that insane, road. I don't know what the name of that gap is, but it's the road that Mad River Glen is on and is as challenging as Deals Gap.

Wouldn't you know it, but misfortune hit one of us. Sadly, he was in the back, and, being less swift in the twisties was making up time. Yep, our own Leo had yet ANOTHER run in with a LEO. Up at the top of the gap, about 3300 feet in elevation, a symbolic picture was snapped of his fast driver award by a freindly Hog rider........

Last edited by Jethro; 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM. Reason: Whoops, this month...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Sounds Like a Great Ride BUT are You Sure it was a Month Ago?:razz:
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Here's some other pics:

Joels choice of weapon for the day:

Leo's supah fast ticket magnet:

At the A&W in Middlebury VT, talking bikes, waiting for lunch:
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
        Sounds Like a Great Ride BUT are You Sure it was a Month Ago?:razz:
        Whaddya mean? It says August...
        Currently bikeless

Comment

Jethro, Pano,
          Thanks for a great day...I had a BLAST...sadly so did my driving record...I am now on track to lose my license

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
            Jethro, Pano,
            Thanks for a great day...I had a BLAST...sadly so did my driving record...I am now on track to lose my license
            Just How Well Were You Performing?:shock:

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

65 in a 50...the problem is that I now have 3 tickets in less than a year...

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
                65 in a 50...the problem is that I now have 3 tickets in less than a year...
                That's Tough. Do they have any sort of Diversion Option up there for Attending Speeding School?

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  Whaddya mean? It says August...
                  :arrow: :arrow:
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

So we backtracked and got on course again. Driving north took us to Rt. 17, and up that insane, road. I don't know what the name of that gap is, but it's the road that Mad River Glen is on and is as challenging as Deals Gap.
                    That would be Route 17 through the Appalachian Gap.
                    Always one of my favorites running in either direction.
                    The Lincoln Gap ride is ok even though it's dirt. I have seen quite a few moose on the L. Gap while riding on it.\\/
                    Looks like yall had a blast.
                    Sorry about the ticket Leo
                    Looking forward to seeing Joel's rocket\\/ \\/
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Aaaahhhhhhhh rte 17 Appalachain Gap.
                      Did you guys stop ta the insane 270degree turn?
                      The one with the picnic benches? We usually stop there, not at the top were Jethro, Pano and "Sir Speedy" took their pics.
                      Sit there, listen to tire squeels or watch things hit the guardrails.

Couple of weeks, I'l lbe back in the saddle.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

lol! perhaps not making it was for the better...

...my slow ass would have gotten that ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                          Aaaahhhhhhhh rte 17 Appalachain Gap.
                          Did you guys stop ta the insane 270degree turn?
                          The one with the picnic benches? We usually stop there, not at the top were Jethro, Pano and "Sir Speedy" took their pics.
                          Sit there, listen to tire squeels or watch things hit the guardrails.

Couple of weeks, I'l lbe back in the saddle.
                          Nope, didn't stop there, already a few hanging out there. Did get to see it 3 times though. What a road. Dragged some metal at one point. Warm day made for some sticky tires, so the bike could leeeeaaaan.\\/ Wish you dudes were with us.
                          Currently bikeless

Comment

So that was rt17, it was a great stretch of road I have never been to the gap so for me it seemed like some of the turns we saw at the Cabot.

Tough luck for Leo but he is going to fight the last two tickets so he may not lose his licence if he gets a lenient judge.

By the end of the day I was cramping up in the shoulders riding the Katana. The riding position is a bit different than my dirtbike feel 1100e. I may look into some handlebar options.
                            1982 GS1000S Katana
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Nope, didn't stop there, already a few hanging out there. Did get to see it 3 times though. What a road. Dragged some metal at one point. Warm day made for some sticky tires, so the bike could leeeeaaaan.\\/ Wish you dudes were with us.
                              Awesome dude! Your not really trying hard enough unless your scraping metal over ground!

Comment

Working...
                              X