Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit and run at speed on the Pacific Coast highway, GS1150Ez, 3/16/2023.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit and run at speed on the Pacific Coast highway, GS1150Ez, 3/16/2023.

I was enjoying myself on the first good weather the Oregon Coast had seen in weeks. After 6 months of going through my newly acquired GS1150Ez, I had finally finished. The GPS tracker was working, The RS38 Flats were tuned, the forks had just been rebuilt, new Michelin Road 6 GT tires ($500), new brakes, Oxford Heated grips, new Dyna2000 module, new hand made wiring harness, lot's of time cleaning and polishing everything, flashing LED brake light. New Motul 7100 oil and a filter the day before. The new GP style (Koso RX-2n) dash was working with all it's sensors, etc. I was going to a shop to get custom armored riding boots made.

I'm leaving Coos Bay, OR and at the last stop I'm buried in a pack of cars that included a fully loaded log truck and a few other cars. I noticed a black Hyundai had stopped 3 feet from my back tire. I was determined to have a good day and the highway was just a green light away so I just looked behind me, that's it. I know a lot of us would have done more. Some of us a LOT more.

The light turns green and I proceed casually because I'm not wearing proper boots. I maintain a positive rate (traffic speed +5) to keep my ass clear. About a mile later as I was starting a lane change she (57y old) caught me on the left. How dare I cut in line attitude.

I went down hard on the left. I tucked and rolled at 65mph while that logging truck slid past my head with it's tires howling like death itself (State Trooper told me he missed by 2 feet). I remember feeling both of my shoes coming off at the same time during the wreck. After I stopped I rolled off the highway to avoid getting squished. Suddenly I was surrounded. People asked me if I was OK, all I could do was give a thumbs down. My first breath was spent asking if the other driver was OK. To my disgust I was told by the State Troopers that she had left the scene.

I have amazingly few injuries. My gear was a Joe Rocket jacket, Armored gloves and a Simpson Bandit Mod Carbon helmet ($721). Yeah, that helmet had it's own insurance. I had to go carbon for weight as I broke my neck in a 1996 roofing accident and now sport a Titanium cage in my neck. I was sure it's break again if I went down. I broke two ribs on the left, with 2 breaks on number 6. I was not able to lay down for 21 days.

I had a Cardo Packtalk Bold and a Baofeng UV-8r on me so I got to hear my own accident get dispatched in my helmet. CREEEPY!

I am NOT seeking legal action against her for one simple reason: She came back to the scene right after I left to do something honorable. She wanted to face the music. Plus, we both were fully legal and insured plus I got to keep the bike after Progressive dealt me a proper hand and paid me well and quickly. +1 for Progressive!

I am slowing down. I turn 59 soon and I gave up three things for my new 9th life: "Smoking" weed. Monster drinks and.....speed.

My bike is for sale: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...40645514262862

WEAR GEAR! I'd be dead if I had not!

Ken

P.S. My regular Doctor's husband wrecked his HD in the same spot (possibly poor cleanup from my wreck) just 5 days later. He's OK.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by KG0WX; 04-09-2023, 03:31 PM.

"About a mile later as I was starting a lane change she (57y old) caught me on the left.4"

Not sure I understand how the accident happened?
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      "About a mile later as I was starting a lane change she (57y old) caught me on the left.4"

Not sure I understand how the accident happened?
      She didn't care for my efficiency as I moved through traffic. I do not lane split. So her attitude was to cut me off as if I was cutting through the lunch line in school.

Such is the child like mentality of road rage.

Comment

Originally posted by KG0WX View Post

She didn't care for my efficiency as I moved through traffic. I do not lane split. So her attitude was to cut me off as if I was cutting through the lunch line in school.

Such is the child like mentality of road rage.
        So she was upset with the way you were riding?
        No signature

Comment

I don't know for sure.

Comment

She should be charged with attempted murder.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Normally, I would agree. In this case, the 57 year old lady calmed down after a bit and decided to return to the scene and turn herself in. I was already gone to the ER by then but the same State Trooper that was the first on the scene followed up with me the next day.

In our society taking responsibility is becoming a rare thing and because she did, I refuse to press
              charges. Hate is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to get sick. Lucky for her my $31,000 medical bill is covered by my medicare as I've been on full disability since breaking my neck in a roofing accident in 96. My repaired neck held, my helmet and gear did the best they could and insurance took care of the rest. Besides, I got to keep my GS1150EZ in case anybody wants it.

Comment

In Connecticut, the state take your decision to charge out of your hands, she would have been charged whether you wanted it or not. The State figures she'll do it to someone else, so that's why the law is written that way. On the other hand, anything that happens in a private parking lot, you are on you own.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                  In Connecticut, the state take your decision to charge out of your hands, she would have been charged whether you wanted it or not. The State figures she'll do it to someone else, so that's why the law is written that way. On the other hand, anything that happens in a private parking lot, you are on you own.
                  Yes, here too. The guy who hit was charged....it had nothing to do with me....as it should have nothing to do with me...he broke the law. Simple
                  No signature

Comment

I'm happy I moved to Oregon then. Mercy should always be in the hand of the victim.

Comment

I'm happy I moved to Oregon then. Mercy should always be in the hand of the victim.
                      really? How about a minor being sexually abused?

No signature

Comment

Ya I don't see it that way, I was hit by a ST1300 Honda as the guy was speeding and lost control coming at me. We had 10 in our group who verified that he was way out of control. The police refused to give any citation whatsoever. The guy had minimal insurance that didn't cover the helicopter ride. Lucky I had underinsured/uninsured coverage. He ended up with just a broken collar bone as the bike slammed into me.

Comment

Originally posted by craz1 View Post

Ya I don't see it that way, I was hit by a ST1300 Honda as the guy was speeding and lost control coming at me. We had 10 in our group who verified that he was way out of control. The police refused to give any citation whatsoever. The guy had minimal insurance that didn't cover the helicopter ride. Lucky I had underinsured/uninsured coverage. He ended up with just a broken collar bone as the bike slammed into me.
                          Nothing stopped you from filing a civil suit. I'm not sure what your point is with that story? The cops aren't there to protect you and they aren't responsible for carrying out your need for revenge. They are there to make money for the state, especially in the 21st century.

If you are that thirsty for blood, go get a law dog. Some greedy Cur fresh out of law school.

Me, I prefer to stand tall and forgive. #peace

Comment

The point is there was no consequence for his actions period or don't you believe in consequences?. Has nothing do do with protection or revenge or even money. What do you mean the police are not here to protect and serve, and just there to make money for the state, really! So if she would not have come back to face the music as you say you would you have been ok with that. Did you plead and beg the police not to charge her with anything when she returned because you forgave her? You can forgive all you want still doesn't change the fact that people need to face consequences in life. How do you know I did not forgive the person who almost killed me, sounds like you assuming I did not and am just some blood thirsty revengeful person. What is the point of your story other than to pat yourself on your back for forgiving her or maybe just trying to sell your crashed bike? Why would I file a civil suit when the person has no funds or assets, that is why I have the best insurance possible.

And why were you disgusted when told she had driven away since you are so forgiving. Very contradictory.
                            Last edited by craz1; 04-14-2023, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craz1 View Post
                              The point is there was no consequence for his actions period or don't you believe in consequences?. Has nothing do do with protection or revenge or even money. What do you mean the police are not here to protect and serve, and just there to make money for the state, really! So if she would not have come back to face the music as you say you would you have been ok with that. Did you plead and beg the police not to charge her with anything when she returned because you forgave her? You can forgive all you want still doesn't change the fact that people need to face consequences in life. How do you know I did not forgive the person who almost killed me, sounds like you assuming I did not and am just some blood thirsty revengeful person. What is the point of your story other than to pat yourself on your back for forgiving her or maybe just trying to sell your crashed bike? Why would I file a civil suit when the person has no funds or assets, that is why I have the best insurance possible.

And why were you disgusted when told she had driven away since you are so forgiving. Very contradictory.
                              Because there is more to the story imo.....like he might have had some more responsibility in the accident to share than he's letting on....would be my guess
                              No signature

Comment

Working...
                              X