Flat tire on the Interstate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat tire on the Interstate

Truth be told, I shouldn't've been riding on the interstate and I knew it.

My rear tire was low. I don't know why, but I did know it was low. I tried to fill it at a gas station yesterday but there just wasn't quite enough room between the hub and the valve for the nozzle to get a good fit. And I rode to a meeting Thursday night, 20 miles away.

Five miles into the ride back home, it's 9pm and I'm riding on the interstate, and I feel it, the weird floaty fishy feeling of there's no air in my rear tire.
    Nice wide shoulder, I'm able to steer to it easily, and just think don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash and I bring the bike to a controlled stop without issue.

I text my wife and call a buddy who has a pickup. He gets my coordinates and heads the 15 miles to where I am.

Lot of traffic going by, including bikes, but my bike is upright and I am too, so nobody stops for the distress.

Except my new friend Nate. Nate saw me at the side of the road and decided to turn around and ask about me. He's a biker and he has a towing business. He learns I'm okay and I have a buddy coming, and he offers to stick around and help load the bike into my buddy's truck, which was very nice. Tim brought a 2x8 ramp, and it was especially nice having three guys push a lame bike up it.

We bid farewell to Nate, and Tim drives me home. I get a neighbor to help unload the lame bike from the pickup, which we did less than gracefully but upright.

I guess tomorrow I'll be ordering a tire and figuring out how to remove my rear wheel. I will dutifully report in again with progress
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Glad you'r ok and got the bike stopped. I ran over a razor blade during rush hour traffic in the middle lane. Tire went flat instantly but somehow I managed to get over to the shoulder upright.

Comment

Well.... that's one way of finding out who your friends are I suppose.......
      If I had a penny for every time I did something I kind of knew I shouldn't, I could probably buy a bag of chips.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Oohhh, looks like tire didn't come off the rim. Is it one of the so-called run flat bike tires... congrats on no major damage nor injury.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Oohhh, looks like tire didn't come off the rim. Is it one of the so-called run flat bike tires... congrats on no major damage nor injury.
          Not a run-flat, no, I was just fortunate and quick enough that it neither blew out nor shred entirely, neither did the rim get damaged. But I can poke my finger through the hole in the sidewall now...

Comment

"Somebody" was watching over you. (not an invitation to debate religion).

Since you were traveling to/from a meeting (I'll assume work-related) surely you can use the Pastor's Discretionary Fund for a new tire, right?

Glad you're OK, Padre.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Was hauling a$$ through a hard right when I felt something like a rock bump under my rear tire. Didn’t feel squirmy until about a quarter mile down the road. Ended up riding the gas tank for a distance until I could pull off. On a back road no cell or cell service. After a while a car came by and stopped to help. Long story short, he got ahold of my son who brought a transfer hose and filled my tire from his spare…it got me home….turns out I rode over a shell casing and it cut a nice 3/8 hole in the center of the tire, but didn’t loose the plug which was part of what saved me in the corner and the fact that the tire had been filled with green slime.

That trip could have ended very badly, had the tire not stayed inflated for short period I would have smacked a rock face at +60
              Good to hear that your safe.

V

Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I tend to fit right-angle valves (or attachments ) to my rear wheels because many gas station air pumps don't cater for bike valves in awkward positions. Sure, you can often bend the air pump attachment, but the owners of said air pumps take a dim view of it.
                Front wheels aren't so much of a problem.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hey kerrfunk, I just noticed the red valve stem cap. Those normally signify balancing beads. Wondering, Do you use the beads or do you just like red?
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'm hoping to not find out if this stuff does as it claims.

Prevent flat tires and improve tire lifespan with this special tire sealant and balancing gel for motorcycles. The Ride-On CHS formula seals punctures and balances the tire, for the smoothest driving experience. No more flats, no more vibrations and a better fuel mileage and road safety.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Hey kerrfunk, I just noticed the red valve stem cap. Those normally signify balancing beads. Wondering, Do you use the beads or do you just like red?
                      I just like red.

Comment

Yah, that looks flat.

Interesting that someone stopped and could help.

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . I can poke my finger through the hole in the sidewall now...
                        Ew....... Yikes......

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A couple of revolutions at highway speed on a flat ruins the sidewall, you would have had to replace it in any event. You have good friends, and you're save. You handled a blow out in a turn, so you know how to ride. Good for you!!

Comment

On side of interstate highway with flat tire on motorcycle. What? To do?
                            Take a selfie pic so can post a story about it !

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hey Kerry,
                              you get a new tire on the bike?
                              before you moved?
                              or moved a bike with flat tire?

Comment

Working...
                              X