Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Hey Kerry,
    you get a new tire on the bike?
    before you moved?
    or moved a bike with flat tire?
    So here's the story there.
    Mishap happened on 4/20.
    I ordered a new tire within a week, got it delivered to the house no problem.
    And I figured "One of these weekends I'll take the wheel off and throw it in the trunk, take it to somewhere to get the new tire put on."
    That weekend never arrived.

About two weeks ago I realized I never was going to take the wheel off myself, not before the move anyway, and I didn't want to have the movers have to deal with a lame bike.
    So Monday (five days ago) I had the same friend, Tim, come back to my house with a trailer, and we took the bike to a shop in Charleston (5 miles from where I had the blowout). Told them I'd pick up on Friday (today). Wednesday I moved. The shop asked if I had a tire (yes) and a tube (tube? It needs a tube?) They ordered a tube and the guy cleaned up where the rim had taken some damage, and long story short, $160 later and I was able to ride home.

Now I need to take a photo for youse, and unpack so I can get in the garage
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Here's the new rear tire, in front of the place I moved into on Wednesday.
      Full disclosure, I did a lazy editing out of power lines across the sky. You can still see them in front of the house cuz I was just being simple.
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Most bikes with spokes need tubes. Some of the new bikes have the spokes laced outside on the inside of the rim in a special raised part, those kind of spoke rim bikes are tubeless. If you can see the ends of your spokes on the inside edge of your rim, it may not have needed a tube. You owner's manual, or Factory Service Manual would tell you this, and it would be written on the tire.

Comment

Always been said around here, since the cast wheels came out, If it don't have "TUBELESS" stamped on the wheel" use a tube. Wonder if may be the same for spoked wheels?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Fitting an air hose to a bike tire at a service station does not always work. Sometimes the air hose ends just will not work on your bike.

Having had that problem I made up a small device that works anywhere.

It is just a simple connection of readily-available air hose fittings:
            a standard-size hose nozzle fitting that has a clip-on lock. This holds the thing tightly on the tire nozzle.
            a small screw-in extension fitted with with a normal tire-nozzle inlet valve.

This extends the actual air inlet point outside the wheel just a bit, which allows me to lock the device onto the tire valve and then inflate the tire with any service station air hose

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
            X