X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings all,
    G
    Just a short post.

Had my back surgery today. Had L-4 thru S-1 fused. Really sore now but am pretty sure all will be fine. Should be home Friday or Saturday.

Will update then.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
      Greetings all,
      G
      Just a short post.

Had my back surgery today. Had L-4 thru S-1 fused. Really sore now but am pretty sure all will be fine. Should be home Friday or Saturday.

Will update then.

Andy
      Feel better, Andy! Sending positive thoughts and energy your way!!

Regards,

Comment

Hey Andy,

Hope the surgery makes you more comfortable.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Andy, Fusing 3 vertebrae together is no small task. Take your time & heal up well. Is the lady across the street going to take care of you till your better ?

Comment

Hey Andy! Haven't chatted in quite a while. Hope this surgery gets you the results you need and I hope you know we're sending good thoughts your way. RJ

Comment

Greetings all,

Well, so far the surgery seems to be a success! after coming out of the anisthesia(sp) and was able to rember my last name, I knew things were better right away. The chronic pain in my back was gone, the numbness in my right leg and foot was also gone, and I was grining. Keep in mind I still had a lot of post surgical pain to deal with, but that was completely different than what I was going through before. I was only in the hospital 2 days before they shipped me home with a 10 lb lift restiction and instuctions not to climb alot of stairs. once up at night and once down in the morning, which were not too hard to follow. I also have a body brace I have to wear when ever I'm not in bed. I found out it was easier to wear it at night as well, it keeps me from flopping around too much.
              I had my 1st post surgery exam 6 days after I got home. That too went very well. They removed the surgical staples, basically put a band aid on and gave me new instructions. I could walk around a bit(I did have to was a walker for a couple of days) with the use of a cane if I felt like I needed to. With the snow arriving and such, I carry it with me but rarely use it, unless there is snow or ice on the ground. I had a hard time with getting the Dr's to tell me my limitations aside from the lifting aspect. After all it is deer season here. To make a long story a little shorter, they relented a little and told me "if I felt up to it to do it, but don't over do it" I knew I would not be able to handle the recoil of a shot gun or a large caliber rifle, which left me 2 options, a smaller caliber rifle or a pistol. So my girlfriend,my dad and myself headed to the shooting range. I was very comfortable shooting my .357 mag with factory loads, my .44 mag with my hand loads or my .243 rifle with hand loads. for those of you who don't understand, generally a hand loaded round is not as "hot" as a factory load. My hand loads are quite "cool" within the allowable range, but deadly accurate. So with the aid a a walking staff, my girlfriend and I spent 1/2 a day scouting/hunting the upper property at our rod and gun club. Didn't see anthing, but got a realgood feel for what I was able to do. Took the next day off for other things that needed to be done. Hooked up with my formr brother-in-law and hunted the followind day and managed to bag a spike buck. Did not hunt Thanksgiving day. hooked up with my B-I-L on Friday and bagged a doe. Now that I had tagged out execpt for my bear tag, it was my turn to do a little pushing. On the last drive Sunday afternoon, my B-I-L shot a nice 8pt buck with an 18" spread. A very nice way to end the day as well as the holiday weekend.
              So, I guess I'm healing quite well. Going to take a few days off for a little r/r and maybe try to fill my dads doe tag toward the end of the week. Right now I need to work on getting the garage organized so when I can lift more than 10lbs I can get started on my GS1000G project.

I suppose that's enough for now. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgivng and made it through black Friday.

Thanks to all for your support and kind words, they really do help!

Andy
              Last edited by ALB80-850; 11-30-2010, 01:11 AM.
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Congratulations on the tags...got any pics of them? Good luck with the remainder of your recovery.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I do have a pic of the spiker, I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Andy
                  1984 GS1100GK
                  1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Healing?...Or a Hunting story.....

Andy,

Glad to hear the surgery went well - that is terrific news! Sounds like a nice holiday weekend too. We'll all continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way for a speedy and full recovery.
                    Scott
                    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                    sigpic

Comment

Excellent news, Pal! I trust you enjoyed using the "doctor's orders" line when it came time to drag your catch out of the woods, hehe! Sounds like the surgery and result couldn't be better - hope your recovery continues to go well!

Regards,

Comment

Hey Andy, Damn it seems like forever that you have been at it. God only knows how long you have suffered with this. It's Great that you are feeling much better after the back surgery.
                        How a split second can change our lives forever.

Here's to you Andy,
                        Steve

Comment

Greetings all,

Just to clarify: I hunt with a great bunch of guys. Since the original accident in '06, they won't let me drag a deer or gut a deer. They do however, let me shoot them. I do get to buy a few rounds at the local watering hole though, I also return the favor by pushing the woods and thickets for them as well. Trust me, their have been many,many years of a healthy Andy who was dragging, gutting and stomping the brush for alot other hunters over the years. Things really do come full circle. I hope next year I'll be able to return the favor again.

Andy
                          1984 GS1100GK
                          1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Hi,Andy,I'm Gabor,i'm a new member here and i just read your story,and i'm glad to hear you getting better,even if slowly.I had a similar accident in Europe while on vacation on my '83 GPZ 750 which i keep there.I was enjoying myself on a beautyful summer day on a two lane highway when i came up on a row of cars and decided to pass them.One of the cars(German plates)decided at the last second to turn left,off the road,and he turned exatly in front of me.I hit the Golf left rear fender around 30 MPH,flew over the car,and landed on my back and rolled to a stop like a ninja.I still don't know how,but i didn'r suffer any injuries,even my white T shirt i was wearing,didn't get dirty!I had a backpack on my back with my video camera and my leather jacket(i wear it all the time since),so i guess these items saved me(my camera got busted).The cops came and didn't beleive i was driving the bike.Anyway,the bike survived it pretty well also,only my head fairing,blinkers,footpeg got broken and bent,and my gastank got banged up.I was able to ride it away,and home which was 100+miles away.
                            I know i was extremely lucky,unlike you,and i count my blessings every day since.Keep recuperating,keep your spirits up,and remember:NO PAIN,NO GAIN!!!...Chers...Gabor
                            Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                            Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
                            '84 Honda VFR 500
                            '86 GSXR 750
                            http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Andy,

It's been a while since I checked this thread. I'm so glad that your surgery went well and that you are doing so much better. It's been a long process for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Comment

Greetings All,

Well I went back to work on 4/4. So far so good. I seems the long peroids of standing are not to bad as long as I move around some. I still get a pinch now and again which reminds me to move a little. My biggest complaint so far is sitting, floding metal chairs are the worst, followed by a my car for more than about 30 minutes. The good news is I'm still most comfortable on the bike. I was rather worried after this last surgery I wouldn't be able to ride or at least for any distance. I've done a couple of 250 milers so far this year without any major problems. Some stiffness which is, pretty normal for me. It looks like the WV and Moosehead rallies are not going to be a problem at this point(Woo Hoo)RALLY!

Ride Safe,

Andy
                                1984 GS1100GK
                                1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Working...
                                X