No announcement yet.

New Rider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my boy passed his MSF and is now a licensed rider.

Now on the hunt for a bike for him. We were both thinking something lightweight, road legal, dual-sport. Something used and cheap that would need little to no work on my part to get him on the road. So we've been looking.

The Chinese models that flood FaceBook marketplace are getting hard to ignore at the price. Names like Lifan (actually Thailand), Tao Tao (Taotao Vehicles Company, LTD, was has been manufacturing motorsports and other products in Jinyun County, Zhejiang Province of China since 1985), CFMoto (Zhejiang Chunfeng Power Co., Ltd​)

A quick search says I should be able to get parts pretty easily, but this is my biggest worry.

We came across this ad for a Tao Tao Hawk 250. (internet claims this to be a clone of a Honda CRF - I have no delusions about how close this is to an actual Honda anything).

Yes it has a title. Street Legal, not far from my house, and $800.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I believe this or something similar could be a nice, cheap first bike for the boy. Lord knows my first bike wasn't anywhere near as nice.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience/opinions on this or similar Chinese bikes.

Here's a torture test "review" of the bike. This channel is mainly for entertainment purposes, so they absolutely trash the bike, on purpose. I found it amusing. But apparently some people have more money than they know what to do with.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-24-2023, 10:38 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

A few yrs. back, a buddy got a little junk Chinees or Tiwan 4 wheeler (don't remember the name). It had starter clutch problems. It took a while researching the parts, but wasn't a huge deal. Got it going and rode it a yr. or so then sold it. I was more impressed than I'd have thought I would be.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        ..... I was more impressed than I'd have thought I would be.
        That's the concensus of the reviews I've been reading on this breed of bikes. Thanks
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

My son took his riding course last weekend and passed. He's waiting on his certificate, so he can go to the DMV and get his license now. In the meantime...of course...he bought a bike! An MT-07 Yamaha. And since he doesn't have his license yet, guess who got to ride it 90 miles home? I was kinda nervous about it last night, riding in So Calif traffic for that long, but once we hit the road it was great fun! It's an amazing bike; lightweight, and with plenty of power. I'm jealous.

BTW, this photo is after he came home after riding at the school the first day. He didn't get enough saddle time to get comfortable, so we fired up the KZ and hit the local courthouse parking lot! He only dumped it once!! Ha ha, the bikes first scratches. Of course, I don't ride it much...if at all, so it's about time it actually got used.

20230617_174117[1] by nessism, on Flickr
          Last edited by Nessism; 06-24-2023, 01:22 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, we went to see he bike I posted above and we brought it home. I’ll meet the guy tomorrow afternoon at a tag service to handle the paperwork.

The $800 bike has upgraded carb, suspension, front sprocket ( for a little more top end). The kid is pretty happy.

This thing is super buzzy, I had to stop an hour into the 90min ride home to shake out my hands.

Couldn’t feel my but or my toes. That said, I was able to get it up to 65 on the highway. Just glad there wasn’t more than a few miles of that.

Too early for a full review but I think this will be a great first bike for him. He can learn while riding with me on the forest roads. And when he’s at school I’ll use it when I want to hit some trails I wouldn’t touch with the GS.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-21-2023, 11:34 AM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

How are knobbies in the rain? Just intuitively, I think I'd be scared of them. There's a guy at work put some on an SV650, and I wondered about that. They looked cool though. Don't know if he rides in the rain or not.

Comment

Not really worried about the knobbies’ performance in the rain TBH. They’re the original Chinese tires that came on this Chinese bike. It’s my kids’s first bike. We’ll be doing a lot of riding on forest dirt/gravel roads especially as he’s learning. When these wear out probably go with something like the Shiro 705 like in have on the GS or the 700 which I’ve also used on the GS. 700 is more aggressive but I don’t think you’d call it a knobby, per se.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Took my son out to the desert and rented dirt bikes, gave him a rundown of the operation of clutch throttle and gearshift and took off on him after he stalled it 3 or 4 times Waited about 5 minutes behind a hill around the bend and pretty soon, around he came, hauling butt and mad as a hornet hahaha.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    I may have missed the rally, but I wouldn’t have missed this for the world. Gave my son his first riding lesson today.
                    Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    Well, my boy passed his MSF and is now a licensed rider.
                    I guess there is now no reason that we won't see BOTH of you at the rally next year.

You would not be the first father/son team there. I think there have already been three or four.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

That could happen. My SIL has a sprinter van we could borrow. Could you imagine riding a 250cc dirt bike 615 highway miles, one way? This thing made my fingers, toes, and butt numb after an hour.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        My son took his riding course last weekend and passed. He's waiting on his certificate, so he can go to the DMV and get his license now. In the meantime...of course...he bought a bike! An MT-07 Yamaha. And since he doesn't have his license yet, guess who got to ride it 90 miles home? I was kinda nervous about it last night, riding in So Calif traffic for that long, but once we hit the road it was great fun! It's an amazing bike; lightweight, and with plenty of power. I'm jealous.
                        Your son's first bike is an MT07????? I'm very jealous, those are great bikes. I have several buddies with the 07, 09 and 10.
                        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Congrats on the new bike for the newly minted rider! A dual sport (a cheap chinese one at that) is a GREAT first bike IMO. Not much to break if he drops it, not too much power to get in trouble, plus they're just plain FUN with the upright seating and nice wide handlebar and low weight. That and you have plenty of fun gravel roads to explore with him on and riding on gravel and getting comfortable with how the bike feels when it's loose and doesn't have full traction is all great stuff for building skills IMO.
                          Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                          Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

It's a different perspective a parent, your own kid on a bike. My dad hated motorcycles, but never forbade them. In the 70s and early 80s when I was young, it was 'anything goes'. No rider training, whatever gear you could gather would do. Good to see that we have evolved, but sometimes it seems a bit over the top to an old crusty dude. All is not bad in the world, and we need to savor the good times that motorcycling brings. It has added a lot to my life, that's for sure.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

When I say my dad "taught" me how to ride in 1983 (1972 Yamaha DT250), I mean he showed me how to use the clutch, no real explantation of why. How to change gears, 1 down, 4 up, Neutral between 1st and 2nd. Showed me the throttle. Showed me the rear brake.
                              Me: What's this lever on the right hand?
                              Dad: Never-mind, you won't need it.

explanation: I was 12, the alley behind my house was dirt. We rode only on dirt except for crossing the occasions paved road. To this day, I believe I rode that bike for 2 years and never touched the front brake.

Dad was a man of few words. He let me go off on my own or follow my older brother on his SP500. I learned quickly, learned how to crash real good. I dropped that bike a lot. Shortly after getting it, I was riding in the woods behind my house and somehow managed to get my handlebars wedged between some trees. There was sapling @ 2" dia. wedged between the clutch lever and the grip. I had to walk home, grab a saw off dad's neatly organized pegboard, back out to the woods and cut down the offending vegetation. That was the first of many broken levers. But that's the one I remember most.

If I do half as good a job with my boy as my Dad did with me, he should do OK. I'm a little more protective, I think, but I'm not above allowing him to make mistakes, safely. One thing I did get from my dad is the phrase "put my GD tools back where you found them when you're done with them"
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X