first time Suzuki drag racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time Suzuki drag racing

My first ever attempt at motorcycle drag racing was a circus. Being a fairly successful car bracket racer I figured bikes can't be all that hard. My ride in the summer of 74 was a highly modified and lightened 73 gt 250. Built in the 70s cafe style.A local RD yammy builder took on the project of massivally modding the docile power band to where it ran 15ohs and would run dead even with the rd 350s of the time.However being a car racer I really didn't know how to launch a 12,000 rpm 2 stroke. My rt's were.23-.25. So my time trials were spent watching the rear tire of somebody already gone.Lots of fun though had a great day meeting new folks I've seen before but never raced.That little Suzy ran flawlessly and at the end of the day I rode it home,just like I got there.

I've always wanted to try my hand at the drag strip on a bike. Here in Indianapolis we have he Lucas Oil raceway and they have "Wild Wednesdays" "run what you brung" sort of weeknight racing. Ironically enough the new Helmet I just bought is *NOT* Snell rated which is a requirement.
    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

That's why I only raced on the streets.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Snell is a car Helmet racing standard. The European tests test more points to simulate actual motorcycle crash conditions. I look for the European approval over the Snell ones, especially, when a few years ago, Snell wasn't testing the helmets like they said they were. The video below explains it better than I can. I used to be a total SNELL person, but after reading many articles, and seeing many videos, my opinion on SNELL has changed. I do not look to them as any kind of measurement to motorcycle helmet safety. Their duplicitous standards to stay relevant is disturbing. My 2 cents worth, and only my opinion (and the opinion of many others).

Comment

In the U.S. for NHRA sanctioned tracks, motorcycle helmets need to be not more than 10 years old beyond the original Snell dated approval. I'm not aware of what Suzukian mentioned about the Snell rating but frequently the same helmet has other agency ratings. In 2021, I purchased (new) a Shoei model RF1400. It is DOT approved, FMVSS No. 218 certified (is this the European agency?) and Snell rated M2020D. The track I frequent (when possible with my '78 GS750), Lebanon Valley in NY, they focus solely on the Snell rating. They rarely check my helmet each time, but at least I know that it'll be good until 2030, assuming that it never touches the ground!

Comment

FMVSS No. 218 - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard # 218 - set by the US Gov. Used for DOT approval.
            1983 GS1100E, 1986 GS1150EF

Comment

Thank you twowings. And now your comment has me looking for the CE label or something indicating meeting European standards, either of which I can't find under the liner. Hopefully I'm well protected and I hope it's not the 45 year joke my old riding buddies would say...full face helmets provide for an open casket!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Graziosi View Post
                In the U.S. for NHRA sanctioned tracks, motorcycle helmets need to be not more than 10 years old beyond the original Snell dated approval. I'm not aware of what Suzukian mentioned about the Snell rating but frequently the same helmet has other agency ratings. In 2021, I purchased (new) a Shoei model RF1400. It is DOT approved, FMVSS No. 218 certified (is this the European agency?) and Snell rated M2020D. The track I frequent (when possible with my '78 GS750), Lebanon Valley in NY, they focus solely on the Snell rating. They rarely check my helmet each time, but at least I know that it'll be good until 2030, assuming that it never touches the ground!
                I don't think Shoei knows how to make a bad helmet. Always one of my favorite lids.

Comment

I almost ran the GS700 one time. Bought a thrift store leather jacket especially for that ($15 bucks I think, lol). Got to the track, and they wanted leather pants too. Never tried again, though I've had a couple of bikes since, that are significantly quicker. I think high 11s was claimed for that.

I ran my LS-powered Formula Firebird (have it no longer) for a few passes though, about 10 years ago, and that was fun. High 13s and just over 100mph (stock) on the first try, with a half-hearted burnout.

Comment

Working...
                  X