First Bike, First Drop, First Close Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike, First Drop, First Close Call

On Sept 22nd, 2023 I found out that somebody had shoved horseshoes up my ass when I wasn't looking.

After finishing my repair of my charging system and my shakedown to check that it was indeed working with no odd surprises, I put the tool tray back in (this will be important later) and was excited to go for a good ride.

So just after 6:00 I got ready and went riding with my brother. My first warning was that the electrical system seemed to have a low charge (spoiler, it was not low) - the neutral idiot light was pulsing in time with the idling of the bike - but I'd just fixed the charging system, so I figured it would fix itself as I was riding. My second warning was that 5 minutes into the ride my intercom died because I forgot to charge it. At the time, I my brother and I were disappointed but weren't going to let it deter us from going on our first ride together.

About 25 minutes into the ride, my brother pulled us over to check the map. He'd ridden this route before but didn't recognize the scenery, so we stopped about halfway up a hill and in a parking lot. While I was waiting for him to check the map, my bike died. Full death. No headlight, no idiot lights, nothing.

So I had to try and bump start it and hope it could still run. No problem, I'd done that before. So I turned the bike around, but it in second gear and started running beside it. Dumped the clutch and pulled it in immediately, the bike caught, sputtered, and died again. But I was happy, because not only had it caught, the dashboard had also lit up for an instant. It could still run! Except I needed to leave the clutch out a little longer so that it would catch long enough to run. So I started running down the hill again, then dumped the clutch again. Left it out for as bit and the bike caught and started running. Yay! Except now it was in gear and was starting to pull me along. Not good. I tried to pull myself onto the bike, failed, and decided to let it go rather than get dragged down and possibly off the road. So I took a tumble and the bike left and fell over onto it's left side.

The first thing you may notice is that I was running down a hill. I had bumped started a bike before, but it was a running bump start. It did not occur to me that I could simply get on the bike and do the bump start from there. The second thing you may notice was that I did not take the time between attempts to make sure the coast was clear.

Unbeknownst to me, while I had been engrossed in my first attempt a van had crested the hill behind me. My brother had noticed it, but because my intercom was dead he couldn't tell me. Or let me know I was being dumb and should just get on the bike. What this means is that I had fallen right in front of the van. Thank god for brakes and the horseshoes up my ass, because the van stopped just over 6 feet away from me as I lay on the road after my tumble. I was extra lucky though. Once I had pulled my bike up and off to the side of the road, the next vehicle to come up the oncoming lane was a truck that had a first aid hutch in the back. Even if I had been run over, I would have had immediate medical attention. Which is good, because I found out later that my brother's phone had 2% battery.

I found out after I got the bike home that when I put the tool tray back into the bike, I had squished the wiring harness and put a lot of pressure on the bullet connector in the main line from the battery positive to the fuse box. The neutral light pulsing was because the vibration of the engine was shaking the bullet connector progressively looser. The vibration of the engine had knocked it loose, and after sitting at idle for a minute the stator simply couldn't supply enough charge to keep the bike running while my brother checked the map.

Lessons Learned:

1) Communication is the best safety measure. Make sure your intercom is fully charged before a group ride (and all other devices).
    2) If there's something weird with your bike, find out what it is before going for a ride. If you think you know what it is, make sure it what you think.
    3) If you can get to a safe spot to do maintenance after something goes wrong with your bike, see if you can find what the problem is. You might be able to fix it right there and have a safe ride home
    Last edited by rustyspoon; 11-02-2023, 12:23 AM.
    1981 GS650G - Burnie is ugly but running!

Lesson #4: Don't run beside the bike. Hop on!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Oof. Glad you’re Ok Rusty.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

As long as we're learning something, it's not all bad... Hoping minimal damage.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Lesson #5, if the bike was headed down hill anyway, why wouldn't you just sit on it and let gravity work? It really does, I've seen it before.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Oof. Glad you’re Ok Rusty.
            Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            As long as we're learning something, it's not all bad... Hoping minimal damage.

I'm also glad I'm okay. I'm very thankful that the biggest casualty of the incident is scuffs on my leather riding pants, but they'll serve as a nice reminder of possible issues, I think. The damage to bike was...minimal indeed. The stator cover got rounded out a bit where it is molded to allow the wire to exit the stator ring, got a new flat spot on the end of my clutch lever, deeper flat spots on my kickstand and centerstand, and some bending of signal lights. Any deeper on the stator cover and I would be concerned about wearing through it, but as it stands I think it's okay.

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            Lesson #5, if the bike was headed down hill anyway, why wouldn't you just sit on it and let gravity work? It really does, I've seen it before.
            This is very true, I saw it as well just minutes later when I accomplished a proper hill start to get home. A very good lesson to learn for sure.

Comment

Glad you're OK and solved the electrical issue. How's the bike after the fall?

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand the horse shoe reference.
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                Glad you're OK and solved the electrical issue. How's the bike after the fall?
                The bike is running well, but something odd has come up that I'm hoping is as easy a fix as I think; There's quite a bit of smoking on startup and warmup, and fuel consumption is higher than expected. In keeping with lesson #2, I checked out possible causes on my bike and I think it was because the Byblow Gas Tube from the cylinder head to the airbox got jostled free from the airbox. Which let the byblow gasses from start up with choke out into the wild and smoking. The smoke did look the same as what was coming out of the tailpipe, so I think it's reasonable to think it was unburnt fuel/air mixture

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand the horse shoe reference.
                There's an old Welsh legend that means horseshoes are considered lucky to have. St Dunstan, I believe? In any case, having horseshoes up one's ass generally means that one is extraordinarily lucky, possibly without knowing why. The joke is that you are as lucky as someone with a horseshoe might be even if you don't appear to be carrying one, thus implying that you're carrying it somewhere nobody can see.
                Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-29-2023, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustyspoon View Post

...a horseshoe...carrying it somewhere nobody can see.
                  Ouch!

Took me a few minutes to figure that one out too. But I remember it not being too odd to see one hanging above a doorway in rural areas.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

To err is human, but to really fck up you need a motorcycle...

Glad you're okay and nothing really hurt but your pride. I really like that you intentionally called out the learning opportunities, a lesser individual would have blamed the headset, or the bike, or the universe in general instead of the one common element in the story: themselves.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by rustyspoon View Post
                      On Sept 22nd, 2023 I found out that somebody had shoved horseshoes up my ass when I wasn't looking.

After finishing my repair of my charging system and my shakedown to check that it was indeed working with no odd surprises, I put the tool tray back in (this will be important later) and was excited to go for a good ride.

So just after 6:00 I got ready and went riding with my brother. My first warning was that the electrical system seemed to have a low charge (spoiler, it was not low) - the neutral idiot light was pulsing in time with the idling of the bike - but I'd just fixed the charging system, so I figured it would fix itself as I was riding. My second warning was that 5 minutes into the ride my intercom died because I forgot to charge it. At the time, I my brother and I were disappointed but weren't going to let it deter us from going on our first ride together.

About 25 minutes into the ride, my brother pulled us over to check the map. He'd ridden this route before but didn't recognize the scenery, so we stopped about halfway up a hill and in a parking lot. While I was waiting for him to check the map, my bike died. Full death. No headlight, no idiot lights, nothing.

So I had to try and bump start it and hope it could still run. No problem, I'd done that before. So I turned the bike around, but it in second gear and started running beside it. Dumped the clutch and pulled it in immediately, the bike caught, sputtered, and died again. But I was happy, because not only had it caught, the dashboard had also lit up for an instant. It could still run! Except I needed to leave the clutch out a little longer so that it would catch long enough to run. So I started running down the hill again, then dumped the clutch again. Left it out for as bit and the bike caught and started running. Yay! Except now it was in gear and was starting to pull me along. Not good. I tried to pull myself onto the bike, failed, and decided to let it go rather than get dragged down and possibly off the road. So I took a tumble and the bike left and fell over onto it's left side.

The first thing you may notice is that I was running down a hill. I had bumped started a bike before, but it was a running bump start. It did not occur to me that I could simply get on the bike and do the bump start from there. The second thing you may notice was that I did not take the time between attempts to make sure the coast was clear.

Unbeknownst to me, while I had been engrossed in my first attempt a van had crested the hill behind me. My brother had noticed it, but because my intercom was dead he couldn't tell me. Or let me know I was being dumb and should just get on the bike. What this means is that I had fallen right in front of the van. Thank god for brakes and the horseshoes up my ass, because the van stopped just over 6 feet away from me as I lay on the road after my tumble. I was extra lucky though. Once I had pulled my bike up and off to the side of the road, the next vehicle to come up the oncoming lane was a truck that had a first aid hutch in the back. Even if I had been run over, I would have had immediate medical attention. Which is good, because I found out later that my brother's phone had 2% battery.

I found out after I got the bike home that when I put the tool tray back into the bike, I had squished the wiring harness and put a lot of pressure on the bullet connector in the main line from the battery negative to the fuse box. The neutral light pulsing was because the vibration of the engine was shaking the bullet connector progressively looser. The vibration of the engine had knocked it loose, and after sitting at idle for a minute the stator simply couldn't supply enough charge to keep the bike running while my brother checked the map.

Lessons Learned:

1) Communication is the best safety measure. Make sure your intercom is fully charged before a group ride (and all other devices).
                      2) If there's something weird with your bike, find out what it is before going for a ride. If you think you know what it is, make sure it what you think.
                      3) If you can get to a safe spot to do maintenance after something goes wrong with your bike, see if you can find what the problem is. You might be able to fix it right there and have a safe ride home
                      Why would you not simply do a short loop in a low traffic area????
                      it would have prevented the fall precipitated by your multiple bad decisions.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Why would you not simply do a short loop in a low traffic area????
                        it would have prevented the fall precipitated by your multiple bad decisions.
                        I'd done that already for my shake down run, this was the ride after that. After the shake down I wanted to do a lengthier ride. It was in a low traffic area, but there was still traffic unfortunately.

Comment

The rougher your bike looks along with some scuff marks in your leathers make it look like you actually ride your motorcycle. Imagine the cash you can make selling authentically damaged clothing on eBay to the posers who want that "Real Deal' look about them, I'm considering doing just the same.

"Imagine yourself walking into your local biker hangout with a feeling of superiority for looking like you actually rode
                          a motorcycle there! The looks you'll see in the eyes of the ladies as they gaze in your direction then quickly dart away as you make contact will serve to tell you that you made the right fashion decision! Remember to keep all kinds of useless facts about tires and motor oil tucked away in the back of your mind in case someone tries questioning you on your authenticity and you'll be golden. Remember to tell yourself that testosterone isn't dead and people will be buying you drinks all night. The best posers rule the world, be the best that you can be and hit the buy button now!"
                          ​​​​​​

​​​​​​
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            The rougher your bike looks along with some scuff marks in your leathers make it look like you actually ride your motorcycle. Imagine the cash you can make selling authentically damaged clothing on eBay to the posers who want that "Real Deal' look about them, I'm considering doing just the same.

"Imagine yourself walking into your local biker hangout with a feeling of superiority for looking like you actually rode
                            a motorcycle there! The looks you'll see in the eyes of the ladies as they gaze in your direction then quickly dart away as you make contact will serve to tell you that you made the right fashion decision! Remember to keep all kinds of useless facts about tires and motor oil tucked away in the back of your mind in case someone tries questioning you on your authenticity and you'll be golden. Remember to tell yourself that testosterone isn't dead and people will be buying you drinks all night. The best posers rule the world, be the best that you can be and hit the buy button now!"
                            ​​​​​​

​​​​​​
                            Praise Bob!

Comment

Interesting story. Thanks RS.
                              SO your expereince was a learning experince.
                              I had always though was called "bump start" cuz let out clutch as soon as your butt hits the seat. har har har, well, maybe not the real reason, but I remeber it that way.

Yah, laying in the road, with traffic comming, not good.

I never heard of instrument light pulsating with engine rpm, so I though maybe I was about to learn something.
                              Ahh, lights were flickering with loose connection.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X