From Grayson, GA to Midland, Tx and back on my GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Grayson, GA to Midland, Tx and back on my GS850G

Last month, I completed a super fun solo trip from my home in Grayson, GA to Midland, TX and back on my '83 GS850G - 2,400 miles in total over 7 days (6 riding days). I had been in touch with a buddy who used to live near me but had moved to TX a few years back to start a new job. We had joked about taking my 40 year old bike there and back for sometime now so I finally just did it. A few weeks of bike prep getting maintenance up to date, bags packed with minimum clothes and lots of tools, and off I went. I took 3 days to get out to Midland, starting out on a Wednesday morning on I-20 towards Birmingham and jumping off onto US82 in Tuscaloosa on to Greenville, MS the first night. The next morning, I continued on US82 through Texarkana, Reno, Detroit and Paris (What's up with the copycat city names?), keeping safely north of Dallas and on into Gainesville, TX. We just don't see 70-75 posted speed limits on 2 lane roads here in GA! I was getting 40-43mpg and wasn't using very much oil so things were good. Still had some nagging vibration at 4k - 4.5k but bike was running strong. The third day, I took mostly open 2 lane back roads with some stretches littered with huge windmills as far as the eye could see. West Texas crosswinds can be incredibly brutal and I felt like I was 'wrestling' the bike more than riding it that day. Alas, I was happy to arrive Friday afternoon to meet my friend and his family. I took a day off the next day to hang out with them, check on a few things with the bike and generally just rest my mind and body. We were right in the path of the solar eclipse that day so that was a treat. I headed out a day later to start back towards home. At my friend's recommendation, I took a more southerly route starting out towards Ballinger, then around Waco. The scenery was hard to beat with undulating hills, more windmills, and small towns with friendly people. I made my way to Jacksonville, TX that day and decided to rest for the evening. The next morning, I decided to make some time that day and headed northeast towards I-20 just west of Shreveport for a 500 mile day ending in Tuscaloosa, AL with a hot shower and a cold beer. The next morning, I headed out early to beat the Atlanta traffic and arrived home just after lunch to see my beautiful bride. Overall, the bike did good running 70-70mph all day long every day. This has been the longest bike trip I've taken on any bike and was happy to do it on the GS850G. Can't wait for the next long ride and I'll take a GoPro camera or something similar. I didn't take many pictures but will post a few if I can.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    ‘83 GS850G
    ‘12 R1200RT

Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

Just curious, out of all the tools and stuff you brought for the bike, what all did you actually use? Seems I've over-prepared for every trip as my 850 has rarely let me down....once i got the charging system sorted that is. I'm sure the one time I don't pack an extra clutch cable or whatever that's exactly the time I'll need it haha.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Great question and yes I brought too many tools along with spare coil, CDI and an assortment of fuses. No spare clutch cable although it did cross my mind. I did use a 10mm socket to reinstall my rear seat latch after the bolts vibrated out. Glad I brought a few spare bolts too. When I got to Midland, I did use my friend’s tools to check the clutch and wound up tightening a loose clutch nut with his torque wrench and 32mm socket. Ordered new APE nut when I got back.
      ‘83 GS850G
      ‘12 R1200RT

Comment

Mehall, thanks for sharing your adventure. If I could make one suggestion for improvement it would be.......paragraphs.

I would be interested in how the long ride experience on your 850 compares to one on your RT. I had both for a time and would like to see how your thoughts compare to mine.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I really enjoy my RT too and it’s great on multi-day trips. Both bikes thankfully have seating positions which agree with my 50+ year old hips and back.

On the GS, I found that alternating between front pegs and rear pegs helped a lot on long stretches between fill-ups. I’m sure many on this forum would agree that the GS850G is a very comfortable bike with the stock seat.

The RT surely has better suspension, fuel economy, creature comforts and range. I admit that thoughts about reliability differences occasionally crept in during long periods through sparsely populated areas. That’s part of the adventure I guess. I would’ve enjoyed riding the RT to TX and back but I was very happy to be on my GS for this trip.
          ‘83 GS850G
          ‘12 R1200RT

Comment

Originally posted by mehall2 View Post
            Last month, I completed a super fun solo trip from my home in Grayson, GA to Midland, TX and back on my '83 GS850G - 2,400 miles in total over 7 days (6 riding days).

I had been in touch with a buddy who used to live near me but had moved to TX a few years back to start a new job. We had joked about taking my 40 year old bike there and back for sometime now so I finally just did it.

A few weeks of bike prep getting maintenance up to date, bags packed with minimum clothes and lots of tools, and off I went. I took 3 days to get out to Midland, starting out on a Wednesday morning on I-20 towards Birmingham and jumping off onto US82 in Tuscaloosa on to Greenville, MS the first night.

The next morning, I continued on US82 through Texarkana, Reno, Detroit and Paris (What's up with the copycat city names?), keeping safely north of Dallas and on into Gainesville, TX. We just don't see 70-75 posted speed limits on 2 lane roads here in GA! I was getting 40-43mpg and wasn't using very much oil so things were good. Still had some nagging vibration at 4k - 4.5k but bike was running strong.

The third day, I took mostly open 2 lane back roads with some stretches littered with huge windmills as far as the eye could see. West Texas crosswinds can be incredibly brutal and I felt like I was 'wrestling' the bike more than riding it that day. Alas, I was happy to arrive Friday afternoon to meet my friend and his family.

I took a day off the next day to hang out with them, check on a few things with the bike and generally just rest my mind and body. We were right in the path of the solar eclipse that day so that was a treat.

I headed out a day later to start back towards home. At my friend's recommendation, I took a more southerly route starting out towards Ballinger, then around Waco. The scenery was hard to beat with undulating hills, more windmills, and small towns with friendly people. I made my way to Jacksonville, TX that day and decided to rest for the evening. The next morning, I decided to make some time that day and headed northeast towards I-20 just west of Shreveport for a 500 mile day ending in Tuscaloosa, AL with a hot shower and a cold beer. The next morning, I headed out early to beat the Atlanta traffic and arrived home just after lunch to see my beautiful bride.

Overall, the bike did good running 70-70mph all day long every day.
            This has been the longest bike trip I've taken on any bike and was happy to do it on the GS850G. Can't wait for the next long ride and I'll take a GoPro camera or something similar. I didn't take many pictures but will post a few if I can.

Good !

Longest trip you ever took, and did it on 40 year old GS,. . . . . when you have a 10 year old sport touring BMW ! !

I see you do have a little windscreen.

THanks for telling the story.
            2 1/2 days to get there. less than 2 days there, and 2 1/2 days to get back.

Yah, some parts of Texas can be intereting riding (although more west of Waco).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by mehall2 View Post
              Last month, I completed a super fun solo trip from my home in Grayson, GA to Midland, TX and back on my '83 GS850G - 2,400 miles in total over 7 days (6 riding days).
              Excellent. That's exactly what they were made to do.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Good !

Longest trip you ever took, and did it on 40 year old GS,. . . . . when you have a 10 year old sport touring BMW ! !

I see you do have a little windscreen.

THanks for telling the story.
                2 1/2 days to get there. less than 2 days there, and 2 1/2 days to get back.

Yah, some parts of Texas can be intereting riding (although more west of Waco).
                I know, right! I'll give the BMW some loving with the next trip opportunity.
                ‘83 GS850G
                ‘12 R1200RT

Comment

Working...
                X