Have you ever dropped your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever dropped your bike?

Have you ever dropped your bike? Gently or not so gently? I find myself being intimidated by the weight of a lot of the bikes out there.

I can’t ride my husband’s old Honda because I am to short. I feel like a weeble wobble when I try to place my feet on the ground. I have ridden it and do great as long as I don’t have to stop!

Granted, the bikes of today aren’t as heavy. I have a friend with a GSXR and the bike only weighs about 300 lbs. I love my Suzuki GS850GL. It is the perfect combination of both worlds and my My feet can reach the ground.

I don’t see myself on a speed bike. I love the old vintage bikes. Call me a classic type of gal. They don’t make things like they used to. I tease my friend that I have the original sport bike! Reaching speeds of 100 back in the 60’s and 70’s was pretty cool.

There is something about owning a classic bike. I love it when people, after getting over the fact that as a girl, I love to ride and wrench on my own bikes, look at me with that blank stare and say “BSA what?” I am sure in southern California; you see British bikes all the time. A few know what the Suzuki is. Around here, you see mostly custom choppers, speed bikes and Harley's. The only metrics I have seen are the new ones like the star lines and such.

For me, the problem with the older bikes is the weight issue. You know, I am not intimidated by the power, just the weight. I guess that is because when I set down my (which has now become my husband’s) ’78 Honda CB750, I had a hell of a time picking it up. I was stopped at an intersection in my neighborhood and a gust of wind literally blew me off balance. You see, because I am so short (5'5") I had to lean the bike to the left a little to allow my foot to plant firmly on the ground.

For those of you that have been to west Texas, you’ll understand about the “little gusts”.

Anyway, it knocked me off balance and I couldn’t get it back up. It was too heavy. There I was waiting for a Good Samaritan to help me. ITo know avail! With the adreline gowing through my veins, I got it back up on 2.

The bike wasn’t damaged, just my pride. I felt like an idiot. Honestly, I felt like I was the only person in the world that had ever dropped their bike. I guess that just comes with the territory, doesn’t it! Well, at least the bike and I are ok and we lived to see another day. I am just happy that it wasn’t my BSA or Suzuki! That would have been tragic!

Darci,
    As has often been said, there are two types of bikers. Those who have dropped their bikes and those who haven't yet.
    If you drop at speed, you are looking around for help.
    If you drop at low speed or stop, you are looking around to see if anyone saw you!8-[
    I can't help you with lifting technique because I'm just a touch bigger than you and muscle the bike up when I've dropped it.

Comment

Haven't done that but I have had the wind buffet me around when sitting at a stop light.

A few years ago on a V65 Sabre that I had (it's a tall bike), I pulled into a parking lot for a breakfast meeting and my I put my foot down which was tingling and it just wouldn't hold the weight and I went over in slow motion with my son on the back. He hopped off but I ended up with my leg under the bike.

I had twisted my ankel the day before and for a couple of days my foot would just go numb.

For riding on tall bike have you ever considered Disco shoes?

Comment

In the distant past I dropped both my GT250 and GS750E in either a driveway or parking lot at least once each. Both had the old style wide crash bars. Felt dumb for it. No problem getting 'em back up.

Knocked the GSF1200S over in the garage once before I put the frame sliders on. Felt dumb again.

What's the deal with dropping bikes? :-D

Comment

I have definitely laid my bike down in my back yard...it wasn't a "fun" scene. My GS400 was great...i could manhandle the **** out of it...

My gs650...not so much...this thing weighs like 500lbs full and man...500lbs is a LOT

Comment

Darci,

Found this site that might help....from a womans perspective:

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Comment

First day I got home with my BRAND NEW GS850L in 1983, I started to get off the bike, and forgot to put down the side stand. While still straddling the seat, I caught the bike when it was about an inch from the ground, and spent the next three years visiting the chiropractor three days a week to straighten out my bottom three vertebrae. Moral of the story....if its gonna fall, let it go. Its easier to replace scratched bike parts, than your spine.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99 View Post
                Darci,

That's a great technique, especially for a woman! I hope I don't have to use the technique but seeing how she does it will help me if I ever do! Thanks!

Comment

I've dropped my 550 three times. Once I wasn't paying attention and just gently laid it over. I had forgotten the side stand. The second was another gentle lay over. I was making a u-turn and ran out of road and bumped the curb at .05 mph and had it timber over. The last drop I've had was the worst it was snowing out pretty hard and I learned the hard way at 20 mph that in slippery conditions don't touch the front brake.

The bike piroutted down the highway and I ended up with a busted rib for my trouble and a broken clutch lever.

Comment

Sure have....Backing it down my steep driveway. Decided to attempt turning it around and highsided it. Broke the brake lever. No big deal. :-D

Comment

Yep, slow speed drops, three times. The most embarassing was u-turning into a parking spot with too many people to witness it..........

Comment

I tipped over the GS1000 in the driveway. I was ceter-standing it and I just lost my balance. It tipped on the right side. I was so ticked off at myself.

I stood on the left peg, grabbed the left grip and the shock and heaved the bugger up.

Comment

Darci,

thats actually a really good idea...but I can get my 750 up no problem...I think. Ive come close a few times, and just as it was about to hit, caught it and got it upright. the CM450 was a piece of cake to get off the ground.

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                          First day I got home with my BRAND NEW GS850L in 1983, I started to get off the bike, and forgot to put down the side stand. While still straddling the seat, I caught the bike when it was about an inch from the ground, and spent the next three years visiting the chiropractor three days a week to straighten out my bottom three vertebrae. Moral of the story....if its gonna fall, let it go. Its easier to replace scratched bike parts, than your spine.

I ALMOST did that in a dunkin donuts parking lot...that wouldnt have been fun..lol I caught it in time, though. still felt like an idiot...:-D

Comment

Darci,

Thanks Bret, this was really helpful! Nice to know that I am not alone!

Comment

Darci,

LOL... I just posted that link in the crash poll... had no idea it was already posted. A few gals on another forum shared that one with me a while back and at least two said they have used the method and that it works. I think some of the very smart things it says are not to be afraid to ask for help, and to remember that it could easily fall over the other direction.

I actually set up a folder in my notes and saved the whole page. I've heard plenty of stories of people coming out to their parked biked to find it laying on it's side, so I think it's a techniquew worth learning if you're of small stature (like me) because it doesn't necessarily have to be the rider who tips it.

Another bit of advice that has stuck in my head is to always carry a piece of wood to put under the side stand in case you ever get stuck parking in a soft or gravelly surface for the same reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X