CA Hiway 1 - beautiful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Hiway 1 - beautiful!

My '81 GS450L has had a rough couple of weeks - had to swap out the oil pan, get a new chain, deal with some cam chain tensioner nonsense. I've owned it for about 4 months now, and due to the issues above that I had been reluctant to take it out of the city. However, in the midst of all this repair work, the mechanic balanced and synched the carbs and adjusted this mixture - between this and the new chain, now she's running like a million bucks!

So this morning I got up early and left San Francisco on I-280. It's an unbelievably nice day today, and the wind wasn't too bad. I got off 280 onto the 1, and headed down the coast for a while. Made it south of Half Moon Bay (a little town called Pescadero), had lunch on the beach, and turned around to cruise back. The bike did really well - cruised at 65mph all day long, and returned 50mpg. Since my suspension still hasn't been sorted out it wasn't the most comfortable ride imaginable, but that was a blast!

I of course forgot my camera. I'll just have to do it again next weekend to take some photos. But in closing, it's nice to have the money I invested in the old girl pay off threefold in stupid, ear to ear grins all the way down the coast.

Way to go, Alex. Glad to hear your bike has had some much needed TLC. And now you're ready for the open road. I hope we get to do some riding together.

I'm about ready to return home from my SoCal-AZ road trip. Check out the thread I started. Just updated it with a few more pics.

See you soon, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
      Way to go, Alex. Glad to hear your bike has had some much needed TLC. And now you're ready for the open road. I hope we get to do some riding together.
      thanks! yeah, i'm pretty stoked to see the old girl in better shape. maybe now i can devote some time to actually riding it, and to the cosmetics.

i am going to be pretty swamped for a month or so, because of finals, but if i get a weekend free i'll try to let you know in advance, so we can take a ride - i'd really like that.

Comment

Went on Highway 1 myself today... a little lower down though! (Santa Monica, Malibu). Also rode Mulholland Highway, stopped at the biker bar, & did some of the twistier stuff.... It was fun, but I need more practice. A friend on a 640 KTM Duke was being held up by me all day....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Went on Highway 1 myself today... a little lower down though! (Santa Monica, Malibu). Also rode Mulholland Highway, stopped at the biker bar, & did some of the twistier stuff.... It was fun, but I need more practice. A friend on a 640 KTM Duke was being held up by me all day....
          Hey Salty, you're one heads up bro. You were the only one who chimed in on my SoCal-Az road trip. Thanks. I changed my plans about going to San Diego because of the fire. But if I had, I would've looked you up on the trip north. Maybe next time.

Remember. Rubber down!

Comment

i did the leg from Moterey to Santa Barbara in my subaru one night about a year ago...it was after 10:00 and i had never done that stretch...
            there was nobody on that section of road (only passes a handfull of cars).
            pretty much had the whole highway to myself.

i had a blast...
            kinda glad it wasn't daylight cus there was a few times i got pretty close to the edge and seeing what i was headded towards/off/over/etc. may have freaked me out.

i'd like to do that stretch again on a bike...maybe oneday soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
              Hey Salty, you're one heads up bro. You were the only one who chimed in on my SoCal-Az road trip. Thanks. I changed my plans about going to San Diego because of the fire. But if I had, I would've looked you up on the trip north. Maybe next time.

Remember. Rubber down!
              That fire was pretty mad so I don't blame you! Look me up any time
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X