Trade my GS for a seaplane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade my GS for a seaplane?

So I rode on out to my father's summer home this weekend in Denton, MD. A nice brisk ride, I was adequately wrapped up with new Sheepskin gauntlets and the bike was loving the weather. Great twisties on the back roads, and surprisingly little traffic over the bay bridge. Very cool. I arrived around mid-day to find my dad hammering away at the house restoration and helped him a bit, until we heard an airplane landing out on the river. We both went outside and found a seaplane had just landed on the water and pulled right up to our beach.

The Choptank river was just smooth as glass so this old pilot putted his way right onto our sand and hopped out. He ran up and told us he really needed to pee, so we let him inside (good thing we finally finished the bathroom last week) and went to go look at his plane. When he came out he was more interested in my bike, so we talked about both and swapped specs. Apparently he used to ride one way back in the day, and he even knew a guy who made a small ultralight 'copter out of an old Suzuki motorcycle motor. I was a little incredulious, didn't know if these motors could take running at severe pitches like a 2 stroke could, but maybe he was talking about an old Suzuki 2-stroke? Anyways after a brief chat he was on his way again. At first he took off and we thought he was gone, but he came back and proceeded to spin around our little curve in the river, hopping along the water and showing off. I needed no more encouragement to get on the ole GS and do a couple doughnuts for his benefit, zipping down our road and waving. It was a great afternoon, one old guy and a young sprat, one two wheels one two pontoons, both showing off and having a great time with their recreational vehicles. My dad got a great kick out of it.

Originally posted by max View Post
    So I rode on out to my father's summer home this weekend in Denton, MD. A nice brisk ride, I was adequately wrapped up with new Sheepskin gauntlets and the bike was loving the weather. Great twisties on the back roads, and surprisingly little traffic over the bay bridge. Very cool. I arrived around mid-day to find my dad hammering away at the house restoration and helped him a bit, until we heard an airplane landing out on the river. We both went outside and found a seaplane had just landed on the water and pulled right up to our beach.

The Choptank river was just smooth as glass so this old pilot putted his way right onto our sand and hopped out. He ran up and told us he really needed to pee, so we let him inside (good thing we finally finished the bathroom last week) and went to go look at his plane. When he came out he was more interested in my bike, so we talked about both and swapped specs. Apparently he used to ride one way back in the day, and he even knew a guy who made a small ultralight 'copter out of an old Suzuki motorcycle motor. I was a little incredulious, didn't know if these motors could take running at severe pitches like a 2 stroke could, but maybe he was talking about an old Suzuki 2-stroke? Anyways after a brief chat he was on his way again. At first he took off and we thought he was gone, but he came back and proceeded to spin around our little curve in the river, hopping along the water and showing off. I needed no more encouragement to get on the ole GS and do a couple doughnuts for his benefit, zipping down our road and waving. It was a great afternoon, one old guy and a young sprat, one two wheels one two pontoons, both showing off and having a great time with their recreational vehicles. My dad got a great kick out of it.
    When I was in the Coast Guard I spent a lot of time on the Choptank. My cutter was (and still is, I believe) responsible for the fixed aids to navigation on that river (and several other rivers in the Chesapeake Bay area). Beautiful area. If you see a black hulled Coast Guard cutter with a crain on the bow, that's my old ship, the USCGC Kennebec.

Hap

Comment

Davis Creek

I keep my 1978 O'Day 32' in Lankford Bay Marina on the Davis Creek just off the Chester River behind Rock Hall. I've only had the boat since July, and got her over the side in late August. I haven't seen your Coast Guard ship, but I'll keep an eye out for her.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

What a great story! Neat when something literally out of the blue (yonder) like that happens. Cool :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
          When I was in the Coast Guard I spent a lot of time on the Choptank. My cutter was (and still is, I believe) responsible for the fixed aids to navigation on that river (and several other rivers in the Chesapeake Bay area). Beautiful area. If you see a black hulled Coast Guard cutter with a crain on the bow, that's my old ship, the USCGC Kennebec.

Hap
          look like this Hap?

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
            look like this Hap?

Yep, that would be her! WLIC 802

Hap

Comment

Cool I've seen them around. Sailors from that ship actually saved my neck once. I was out in my dad's 32ft Tanzer and the sky was clear as day, but I saw them frantically packing all their stuff in and speeding outta there. Took it as a sign, and no sooner did we make it back to my slip than a ferocious storm tore the a$$hole right out of the bay. I'm sure we would have been stuck in it if we didn't get that warning, but at least we would have known who to call for a rescue.

Comment

Working...
              X